View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Levels of being

by , 04-16-2008 at 11:11 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I just saw something that reminded me of part of the way that my calculus teacher explained imaginary numbers when I was in high school. He said, "Imaginary numbers are really more real than real numbers." I went to a Catholic high school, and the teacher was a member of the Xaverian Brothers. I didn't usually think of him, or the other brothers, as Medieval thinkers, but that idea was very spiritual and Medieval. That idea was also mystical and closely related to the Kaballistic view ...
    Categories
  2. Ten Books (plus a few)

by , 03-29-2008 at 11:00 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I thank Antiquarian for posting this earlier.

1. What is one book that changed your life: "Bored of the Rings" showed me that great literature can be hidden in something that looks silly.

2. What is one book that you’ve read more than once: "Lord of.Light" by Roger Zelazny and "The Stones of Nomuru" by L. Sprague de Camp are two that I can read and enjoy every year. I feel compelled to reread The Ship That Sailed the Time Stream fairly often, ...

Updated 10-09-2010 at 03:20 PM by PeterL (typo)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Memory and cognition

by , 12-03-2007 at 01:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This morning, while driving, I heard a segment on NPR about memory, cognition, consciousness, and so on. Those are topics that interest me greatly. I was reminded on my blog about The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, which I have to reread. The person who had written the book that was being discussed seemed to be overly concerned with the style of expressing; although he saw the "footprint" of the structure of memory in various sorts of expression. I am still waiting for someone to decode ...
    Categories
  4. How to Write a Thriller

by , 10-20-2007 at 04:22 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I heard mention of the above mentioned essay by Ian Fleming earlier, and it sounded like it might be useful. I found it online, and it is a decent piece of advice on writing. There was an especially useful bit of advice about writing filling emotional holes in lives. I won't post the essay, but it is online at
    http://www.jamesbondwiki.com/page/Ia...+Essays?t=anon

Alas, Ian Fleming's heirs ordered that it be taken from there, and I haven't been able to find any other ...

Updated 08-12-2014 at 07:02 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. On self Characterization

by , 08-25-2007 at 10:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The Editor's thread that asks"Who is your favorite literary character?" brought this blog back to mind, especially since I mentioned some of the same characters.

I was thinking about people and how they describe themselves. Most people can't be counted on to accurately characterize themselves, although there are exceptions. I was rereading the Flashman chronicles because I got so annoyed at bad writing when I read Dan Simmons' Empyrion. Fraser had Flashman characterize himself, ...

Updated 09-15-2011 at 11:12 AM by PeterL (sport)

Categories