View RSS Feed

Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

description

1. I Fish, Therefore I Am…….Crazy

by , 09-14-2009 at 02:28 PM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)

I am an avid fisherman. Almost every morning finds me on the lakeshore somewhere. I have a choice between several fine lakes in the area, so there is no chance of me being bored.

Let me state for the record, however, that I think fishermen everywhere to be slightly demented. I mean we exaggerate the size of fish caught, the amount of fish caught, how we managed to entice them so that we could catch them in the first place, and brag about the “one that got away.” (I find that

Updated 09-25-2009 at 06:30 AM by Pendragon

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Friends

by , 09-10-2009 at 08:44 PM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    I've had good reason lately to think about the meaning of the term "friend". You see, when I attempted suicide the other Sunday, the man who talked me out of it stated that we had been friends for 30 years.

I thought about that long and hard over the next days. I appreciate what he did for me, but was he truly a "friend"?

Did he ever write in thirty years? No.
    Has he ever called in thirty years? No.
    Did we visit each other, did our

Updated 05-18-2012 at 12:52 PM by Pendragon

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mr. Howard's Day of Reckoning

by , 07-02-2009 at 09:29 AM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    I had this story in the contest and removed it at my own request. You see, it is historical fiction, and we deal with the world on this site. I couldn’t expect people to know facts that I myself have researched over a number of years.

I have dug through newspapers of the time, read biography after biography, and even read some of the gangs memoirs, such as Cole Younger’s, available on Project Gutenberg.

I also needed to rewrite part of the story.

So
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Locked Up Poem

by , 01-25-2009 at 10:29 AM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    As this poem was locked on the thread by the moderators, I place it here, as I am told I can, for comments. This continues my "Presidential Bash" clerihews:

Our new President Barack Obama,
    Took Oath of Office and screwed up the formula,
    So to be certain that people wouldn't complain--
    He screwed up his courage and took it again!

Pendragon

Praying this doesn't offend anyone...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Form Poetry Competition

by , 01-11-2009 at 08:55 AM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    Visit thread http://www.online-literature.com/for...&postcount=524
    Duplicated below:

I'm going to assign a sestina, which may be a harder form, but I want you to think about it. I won't make it due until Feb. 14th to give plenty of time: Here are your instructions and one of my own for a sample. Play with the form to your hearts desire and read a few famous ones before you write. Good writing to all!

The sestina is a complex form that ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast