View RSS Feed

Captain Pike's Ship Log II

Fungus among us!

Rate this Entry
Still operating on the assumption that we're protected under the umbrella of guidance from the Great Ambitious One, we seek her, occasionally vague-but-only-because-I'm-not-a-very-good-listener, guidance. We will not be purchasing the wonderful house.

Remember this house was listed by a couple of house-flippers, so it was with a bit of apprehension that we entered into an agreement to purchase the property. A professional home inspection yielded the typical laundry list of items; missing electrical box covers, cracked glass and a missing handrail were among the very doable items one would expect. I'm not sure who's idea was to get a radon measurement, but it yielded at an unsafe level of 6.8 -- the ideal house is under 2.0, plenty of people opt to do nothing between 2.0 and 4.0, but 6.8 necessitates a remediation plan. It turns out that for less than $1500, a guaranteed, verifiable method of reducing the radon levels to an acceptable level is available from many sources here. Somewhere between 60% and 70% of homes in Maine have a measurable amount of radon in the basement.

Most people I talked to hadn't heard of doing a "mold test". The LMW has some asthma I have a physically reduced diaphragm function, this together with the fact that the place was ruined by "the elements" -- it sat with a leaky roof for years before was renovated made us interested in doing everything we could to make sure that there wasn't excessive mold hiding in the buildings walls.

The place is loaded. Penicillium, in particular, was measured at over 15,000 ppm in a cubic meter, three orders of magnitude beyond typical and tolerable levels -- for people with no breathing issues. The sellers had simply put new walls up over the existing colonies. All they would've had to do to eradicate the mole permanently would've been liberal dousing with bleach. But the testing lab indicated a level of this and other species of mold which implied that no eradication methods were used at all.

It actually didn't take that long for us to accept and ultimately be grateful for all the expense and excessive testing that we did do. There were some other items, like excessive taxing and the fact that nobody really knew what it would take to heat this over 3000 square-foot home which jogged us out of denial and down the road toward rational thinking.

So we are back house hunting again, belts a little bit more tightened and a relationship that has been made stronger by the struggle and the distance between us as she gets used to working a new job 400 miles away.
Categories
Autobiographical

Comments

I had been wondering how it was going. I do hope for the best for you. Me I'll be a renter forever but that's another story and a banal one at that. Hope Little Miss Wonderful can continue to cope with all that's on her plate and you're ok and your kid is settling down.
    Sounds like a humongous fungus among us. I'm glad you found out now, and not later. What a nightmare that would have been.
    What a bummer!! I know what its like to find a house that you can envision living in to only find out there are way too many problems with it.
    Don't despair, you guys will find a house.
    that really stinks Phil. I'm glad you did all of the testing. Finding out later would have been really stinky! I'm sure the perfect house is out there.
    Oh yikes! Sorry the house didn't work out!! Best wishes for finding another one!!
    Sorry that things didn't work out, but it is better to find out now than down the road a ways when you may have started having health issues because of it. Good luck in finding a different house soon. Meg
    it's a good thing you found out. Mold is not good. I think my parent's house is full of mold. they're house a musty odor, and they have a musty odor. I think I should order them a test. Does mold interfere with brain functioning if you're breathing it all the time?
    yuck!
    I'd never heard of radon before. that's interesting. how does it get into the basement?
    Oh that is too bad Capt. Everyone should have such a test performed when making the purchase of a house. The test is not cheap, but it's worth it. My wife and I had to pull back from an off when we bid on a house and the inspection turned up a host of problems. it was a very good thing. We ultimately found another house. I hope you do too.
    Don't know how I missed this entry, but I have been on and off here, so forgive me!

Anyhow, that was a disappointment to read of so many problems with that house, but as the others have said, better to know of it BEFORE than to be stuck with it. The way that you described it sounded quite bad -- who would be able to breath in conditions like that? I know that I'd be stuffed up completely and probably snore my hubby into insanity!
    Well, good luck with your house building -- your closing line was a very nice read indeed.

p.s. I hope that your LMW is liking her new job.
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch
    yuck!
    I'd never heard of radon before. that's interesting. how does it get into the basement?
    You probably graduated and moved on. Around here, radon is common in the granite structure of the underworld. The gas, normally harmless, can accumulate in an open but close off area – such as a concrete basement, blasted through the granite. Couple of small cracks, and, dee dum. Pay a mortgage there for 30 years, you own the house and you got cancer!