Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: What’cha Reading?

I’m having an exceptional reading year thus far. I’ve managed to get ahold of some good ones.

Just finished The Moor’s Account, by Laila Lalami

I came to this one in a round about way: I was cheating on a crossword puzzle. The clue was — Author of The Moor’s Account — and the answer was, well, the author’s name. Ya gotta admit, Laila Lalami is a good crossword puzzle word. Anyway I was stuck on the puzzle, so I googled it, and in that process I found a book I wanted to read. So I did.

It’s a historical fiction novel about the 16th century Narváez expedition in the Americas, which ran into some rotten luck. Only 4 of the original explorers survived. One was Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca. Another was a dark-skinned Moroccan slave who went by the name, Estebanico.

Ten years or so ago I read Castaways, which is a translated version of Cabeza de Vaca’s account of the expedition. It is a fascinating first-person account of first contact between European and Native American peoples. The Moor’s Account more-or-less follows Cabeza de Vaca’s narrative but tells the story from Estebanico’s perspective. I think Ms Lalami saw through some of the whitewashing and BS in Cabeza de Vaca’s account and imagined what the story would have been like through Estebanico’s eyes. And who knows? She may have gotten closer to the truth through her fiction than Cabeza de Vaca did through his memoir.

The expedition started somewhere on Florida’s gulf coast, and meandered along the coast through Louisiana and Texas where the Spanish were shipwrecked, maybe due to a hurricane, and probably on Galveston Island. They were in quite poor shape by that time, but were helped by a group of indigenous people who found them on the beach. Later they were enslaved by the indians. Then there was a process of assimilation. The 4 survivors eventually married native women and somewhere along the line became pretty good at first aid and medicine, which gained them some respect with the indians. Anyway over the course of 8 years they traveled through the southwest making their way eventually to the Pacific Ocean. Along the way they built their reputation as healers and gained somewhat of a following. They were known as the Children of the Sun to the locals. Somewhere on the frontier of the Spanish Main they reestablished contact with the Europeans. In Castaways Cabeza de Vaca commented that he had trouble speaking Spanish again after going native for so long.

At any rate both books were fascinating reads. Of all the people here on the Litnet, I think Danik would really like The Moor’s Account. In some ways it reminded me a little of Gold Dust, by Ibrahim Al-Koni.

Currently reading 11/22/63, by Stephen King
    Uhhhh...

Finished Stephen King’s 11/22/63.

If you could go back in time and change something, would you? If you could pick a historical event to change, what would it be? Would you stop John Wilkes Booth from killing Abraham Lincoln? Would you shoot Lee Harvey Oswald before he could shoot JFK? Would changing this thing kick off a whole other unintended chain of events?

By the way, in 11/22/63 the protagonist of the novel weighs in on that ^ metaphor:

If there’s a stupider metaphor than a chain of events in the English language, I don’t know what it is.
    He goes on to explain that chains are strong, but the thing that links a series of events together is weak and that thing is known as the butterfly effect.

Currently reading The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler
    Uhhhh...

a few semi-connected thoughts...

I usually really enjoy time travel stories.

im slow watching star trek: picard and season two kicked off with a huge bang. q appeared at the end of the first episode and rescued the the stargazer from being assimilated by the borg queen only to land picard and crew in an alternative time line in a xenophobic totalitarian regime where picard is a somewhat blood thirsty general and seven is the "confederation" president. they have to rescue the borg queen from a public execution because she has the ability to take them back in time to the switchpoint that set the future off in a different direction.

on that note---in the original series, the city on the edge of forever is often cited as one of the best episodes. yesterday's enterprise in next generation is really good, and the series finale, all good things is really innovative.

one of the more fun aspects of family guy is stewies time machine and all the ways mayhem can or does ensue when they travel to the past, even when they make well intentioned or very small choices.

have you seen Deadpool 2?

Ya know, I’ve never watched any of that stuff. I haven’t caught the super-hero bug and the special effects in TV sci-fi has always seemed a little cheesy to me. I’m willing to bet though, regardless of genre, what’s compelling about any of those shows is the story, and more specifically the humanistic part of the story. I think that’s why I keep reading Stephen King novels. There’s almost always a supernatural aspect, but the good part is how regular people deal with it, and I like how he fleshes out the story with little details.

For example, in 11/22/63 the time portal is in the pantry of Al’s Diner — Eat At Al’s, Home of the Famous Fat Burger. The locals can’t figure out how Al can sell the Fat Burger so cheaply. And although it’s a tasty burger, rumor has it Al uses road-kill to beef it up. High School kids call it Al’s Famous Cat Burger. As it turns out, Al has been going through the portal and buying the ground-round in 1958. Ta-da! The portal drops him off at the exact same time and place every time. He’s been buying the same package of ground beef from the same butcher in ‘58 for years, then bringing it back to 2011 and cooking it up. He’s fed Fat Burgers to a generation of town-folk … from the same package of 1958 beef. (Talk about loaves and fishes, eh?) One of the main characters asked Al how that could be. Al replied with something like — uhh, I don’t know. Who cares?
    Uhhhh...

Well hi-de-ho I finished The Big Sleep. What a gas. Lotsa twists and turns in this one and I do believe I’ve figured out where the Coen Brothers got their outline for The Big Lebowski. Of course the slang in The Big Sleep was more conducive to Bogey than to The Dude, but hey it is what it is. Anyway it’s always fun to stumble across something and make a connection like that. The closest correlation in the two is probably Bunny in The Big Lebowski to Carmen in The Big Sleep. They could’a been twins.

Now reading The Spy Coast, by Tess Gerritsen.
    Uhhhh...

I think part of the allure of many time travel stories has to be an element of fixing what went wrong/making things right (or better). the "what if" is fascinating.

the potential for comedy is good too. here's a quick clip of kirk and spock back in 20th century earth trying to board a bus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyVnoe9EF30

the last Stephen king book i read (and watched) was misery. I remember enjoying it, and ive got a large selection of his waiting to be read.

its interesting how experiences and interests can be different---ive not seen/read the big sleep or the big Lebowski and ive only got one Gerritsen book and i haven't read it yet.

ive been reading the lovely bones by alice sebold for the past 2ish weeks. its about a 14yr old girl who is raped and murdered and then narrates the remainder of the story from her view in heaven. its not a theologically correct book, but the concept is interesting.

in a real world connection part of the story, the author herself was raped early in her life and she ended up playing a part in sending an innocent man to prison for the crime.
    Last edited by bounty; Yesterday at 09:46 AM.

Sancho,

If you could go back in time and change something, would you? If you could pick a historical event to change, what would it be? Would you stop John Wilkes Booth from killing Abraham Lincoln? Would you shoot Lee Harvey Oswald before he could shoot JFK? Would changing this thing kick off a whole other unintended chain of events?

I have always had that fantasy and recommend the following Twilight Zone episode:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_and_Teresa_Golowitz

The original story was written by Parke Godwin who was a personal friend of mine. How I wish you had the opportunity to meet and know him like I did. He was truly a special kind of human being, never to be forgotten.
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213