Thread: Please Help Me 1 Question Only

Please Help Me 1 Question Only

I am doing a research paper on Emily Dickinson, and one of the questions i have to answer is, what do you think Emily would have been if she did not become a poet? support your answer with 3 concrete reasons....

Perhaps you should start by looking at the available options for women living in Emily's time and place. Some knowledge of her background and circumstances would also help. Their are numerous websites that will provide this information. After that, use your imagination.

As it is a research project I am sure that you are expected to research for yourself. I hope that I have indicated some avenues that you may have overlooked.

I think if emily wasn't a poet then she probably would have been an artist. She loved beauty and appreciated it's mysterious nature so i think that would have been her choice even though women back then didn't have many options to choose from...

Emily had a mystical, metaphysical nature. If she hadn't been brought up by a Calvinist father, who knows? She might have joined the Transcendentalist movement! And lived in a commune of kindred spirits, the way that Bronson Alcott did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Sue
    Emily had a mystical, metaphysical nature. If she hadn't been brought up by a Calvinist father, who knows? She might have joined the Transcendentalist movement! And lived in a commune of kindred spirits, the way that Bronson Alcott did.
    Certainly, this seems how I always visualized Dickinson, including in her poetry. Delving more and more into research, I would have never felt surprised to see some connection with Ralph Waldo Emerson or Henry David Thoreau; however, I never found one. Regardless, her philosophy in poetry, I have always noticed, has several striking similarities to the philosophy of transcendentalism.