Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking in Moderation

:)

"What difference does it make what the Koran says if the Islamic powers don't obey it?"

ONe has nothing to do with the other. The fact that some people are not following Qur'an doesn't negate the existence of it. God doesn't depend on people, nor does our following or not following of His Law effect the existence of the Law.

Hmm..some people not following the Koran.Keen observation,but more importantly they are Clerics with a very large,very violent backing that claim they are following the Law!
    I think they are upset over portions ?

I don't think I understand your observation. Are YOU upset about something?

God forbid I should be upset about anything.I find it interesting that a couple believers will quible over whether or not Muhammad ever tasted alcohol!Its the thing that schisms and wars are fought over.Did you know he married a 12 year old?

"Did you know he married a 12 year old?"

Actually, Aisha r.a was 9 when they were married.

Quote Originally Posted by Amra

Intresting,do you suppose they waited untill she turned 12 to consummate?

I was also curious as to how Khadijah,his first wife, an older ,urbane woman of the world,that gave him a job ,felt about Aisha,but couldn't find anything in the Sunnah?Got any input...and please include you source.
    than,you...okmit

Intresting,do you suppose they waited untill she turned 12 to consummate?

I was also curious as to how Khadijah,his first wife, an older ,urbane woman of the world,that gave him a job ,felt about Aisha,but couldn't find anything in the Sunnah?Got any input...and please include you source.
    than,you...okmit

I'm a shadow of myself adilyoussef's Avatar
    I want to ask some questions. Why do people drink wine? And what makes it different from other drinks? To help digesting? To have courage to do things? To feel cheerful and mery? If so, the one who drinks it lacks something in his/her life and finds in wine a surogate. But one day or another, it will be the cause of his/her destruction. Better face my destiny and manage my life without the help of stimulant than to find myself addicted due to a mistake of overdosage.

For that a profet dranck wine during his life, is better to give a proof of it that to say herasy. That's why quotations are part of the English grammar.

Oh! life you'r but hell
    Oh! hell you'r but in me
    When I'v lost your love
    I'm lost in an ocean of destiny

"Intresting,do you suppose they waited untill she turned 12 to consummate?

than,you...okmit"

Khadijah was dead when Prophet Mohammed married Aisha r.a. If she ever felt anything about her, we certainly had no way to find out.

"Intresting,do you suppose they waited untill she turned 12 to consummate?

than,you...okmit"

Khadijah was dead when Prophet Mohammed married Aisha r.a. If she ever felt anything about her, we certainly had no way to find out.
    According to Hadith, marriage at 6. Consummation at 9. This is why in Iran, the marriage age was lowered from 15 to 9. Kadijah, the first wife, died before the other wives were taken. This is my understanding.

"According to Hadith, marriage at 6. Consummation at 9. This is why in Iran, the marriage age was lowered from 15 to 9. Kadijah, the first wife, died before the other wives were taken. This is my understanding"

The age itself doesn't determine the maturity. It is the onset of puberty that determines it.

Quote Originally Posted by okmit
    God forbid I should be upset about anything.I find it interesting that a couple believers will quible over whether or not Muhammad ever tasted alcohol!Its the thing that schisms and wars are fought over.Did you know he married a 12 year old?
    I think one must consider the time period and cultural practices of the age, okmit. Of course, marrying a 12 year old nowadays, in civilized cultures, seems nearly unheard of, and frowned upon, for moral reasons.
    One cannot judge someone for practicing their cultural norms, however, as I have no doubt other cultures point (and pointed) and laugh (and laughed) at us. I should also inform you that you type these messages on a literature forum; Edgar Allan Poe married his 13-year-old cousin, long after Mohammed's existence, but I doubt if anyone can refute his genius.

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    I think one must consider the time period and cultural practices of the age, okmit. Of course, marrying a 12 year old nowadays, in civilized cultures, seems nearly unheard of, and frowned upon, for moral reasons.
    One cannot judge someone for practicing their cultural norms, however, as I have no doubt other cultures point (and pointed) and laugh (and laughed) at us. I should also inform you that you type these messages on a literature forum; Edgar Allan Poe married his 13-year-old cousin, long after Mohammed's existence, but I doubt if anyone can refute his genius.
    I had a pen-pal in Tehran. I asked him once if he ever saw a nine year old bride. He said one only sees such young brides rarely in very remote areas, among nomadic tribes, but not in the big cities.

Gandhi, in his autobiography, writes in detail about his marriage to Kasturbai at age 6. The bride is brought into the family and they play as children. When he was twelve or so, an uncle took him aside and explained that now it was time for him to be with his wife, and then explained the details. For years, Gandhi wondered who it was who took Kasturbai aside, for she seem to know the details, but he never had the temerity to ask her. She died after they had been married 60 or more years. His grief was inconsolable at the loss of such a lifelong companion.

Gandhi states, in his autobiography, that personally he considered the practice of child marriage monstrous. The practice of child marriage was subsequently outlawed in India.
    Last edited by Sitaram; 09-13-2005 at 05:04 PM.

I wasnt being facetious.I wasnt sure if it was Muhammad,Edgar,or Jerry Lee Lewis of the "Great Balls A Fire" fame that married a 12 year old.I was a bit surprised by the sharia,6 & 9!
    While West Virginia would frown on 6 & 9,its my understanding they are quite Liberal about little girls and cousins an such.(that is facetious.)

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    Mono,this is not the first time you have pointed out this is a literature forum.I am aware of that, and also aware of Edgars pedophilia,his getting thrown out of his uncles house,school ,and the military.His addiction to alcohol,and opium and the miserable life he lived, and I also believe his "genius"is refutable.

Now that you have lectured me,you might want to go back and re-read what I wrote and see if I was being judgmental or simply asking a question?
    I accept your apology in advance...your literate correspondent,okmit

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast