Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emily...big hoax?

hello back round check
    As I say I i'm only fourteen

If there're no dashes it can't be Dickenson . What do you mean Emily's a hoax? Clarification!
    Last edited by piquant; 12-06-2003 at 04:57 PM.
    If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft, and of thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left, sell one, and with the dole buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I looked I still don't get it.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

As I said before, she is just a big hoax. She is just a fraud, I am firm beliver that her poems were written by some shady character, just to shock the notable poetical circles of the time that they were published.
    Wilfred

Why don't you think that Emily wrote her poems? Who do you think did write them? What proof is there of this?

Also, very few of her poems were published during her lifetime, and those that were were edited to fit the "genteel", rhyming, "women's" poetry of the time (something which Emily absolutely hated). Not until after her death did she get any real acclaim.
    If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft, and of thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left, sell one, and with the dole buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

Silly, someone wrote them after her death and then said that she wrote them a really long time ago. She is a hoax. A big one.
    Wilfred

Wilfred, You make me want to rip my hair out! Proof!

Lightbulb Emily Dickinson-suprisingly good poet

You know, if you don't like Emily's work, or think that it's bad or if you've read better, it really isn't her fault.
    What I've learned as a poet, myself, is that those who read the poetry of others, write better poetry themselves.
    Dickinson lead a very shealtered life and hardly ever had any social contact, let alone any access to other types of poetry.
    Ergo, if she can write that well, having not read other poems, it's pretty freakin amazing how well she did write.
    Is she a hoax? I don't think so...her work is very unique...it doesn't sound like anyone off the street just decided to write it.
    Her original words are the reason she was published any ways.
    Take my love, for love is everlasting

Blog Entries
    I'd like to join in the demand for proof- please! I don't think the poems are the kind a prankster could just reel off to kid people- they are way too intense for that!
    And if we are not discussing the merits of what is known as Emily's poetry, but just the "hoaxiness" because someone else wrote them, personaly, I don't think it's that big a deal- just like the Shakespeare debate- it's of historical interest- but what actually matters are the plays and in Emily's case the poems, which are THERE in black and white- the author's identity doesn't detract or add to the merit or otherwise of the works. And anyway, the whole idea of a stable authorial voice is pretty much on shaky footing right now, isn't it?
    Sindhu.
    I'm nobody, who are you?
    Are you nobody too?
    There's a pair of us, don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know!

How dreary to be somebody!

I've always detected a slight hoaxish odor from Emily . . . in naive years past I'd assumed my uncultured nostrils were betraying me . . . hoaxes cannot forever go uncovered.
    As Kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame . . .

Why disqualify the rush? I'm tabled. I'm tabled.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    As I said before, she is just a big hoax. She is just a fraud, I am firm beliver that her poems were written by some shady character, just to shock the notable poetical circles of the time that they were published.
    Maybe you should take time and read some of Thomas Higginson's encounters about Emily. No better evidence than first hand experience.
    Last edited by ktd222; 10-08-2006 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Add-in comment

Alja
    I have to say: This is one of the funniest posts i've ever read - first with a guy convinced for some odd reason that emily was a hoax giving no reasons whatsoever and very short replies sheding almost no extra information on the subject. Then a guy with a split personality hating another poet and making up a poem claiming to be dickinson. Then a bunch of bewildered Dickinson fans questioning the whole thing. If someone made many accounts on this forum and posted the whole topic herself i'd have to say it's a work of genius. Otherwise just funny...

On a slightly more serious note Sindhu said that the authours identity doesn't add to the works, and in this case i have to disagree. (as hard as it is) I'd say that alot of the appeal of Emily is that she was a woman, led a very reclusive lifestyle, yet ended up turning out amazing works of art that were absolutely groundbreaking for their time. I'm not sure whether i'd appreciate it so much if all her poems were written by some guy in say the last 30 years. Not to deny that all the meaning of the poems comes from their actual content but for me some of their appeal comes from knowing that the person who wrote them was a very, very special woman.

Quote Originally Posted by ktd222 View Post
    Maybe you should take time and read some of Thomas Higginson's encounters about Emily. No better evidence than first hand experience.
    He's not out of the woods either . . . I greatly suspect his hoaxery as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alja123 View Post
    I'm not sure whether i'd appreciate it so much if all her poems were written by some guy in say the last 30 years.
    Or, rather, you'd appreciate them more if they were actually written by her.

Quote Originally Posted by alja123 View Post
    Not to deny that all the meaning of the poems comes from their actual content but for me some of their appeal comes from knowing that the person who wrote them was a very, very special woman.
    Or a very, very special fake.
    As Kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame . . .

Why disqualify the rush? I'm tabled. I'm tabled.

Alja
    Ok, maybe not the most relevant thing, but it sprang to mind... and anyway this particular post was devoid of any of her poetry whatsoever:

By my Window have I for Scenery
    Just a Sea -- with a Stem --
    If the Bird and the Farmer -- deem it a "Pine" --
    The Opinion will serve -- for them --

It has no Port, nor a "Line" -- but the Jays --
    That split their route to the Sky --
    Or a Squirrel, whose giddy Peninsula
    May be easier reached -- this way --

For Inlands -- the Earth is the under side --
    And the upper side -- is the Sun --
    And its Commerce -- if Commerce it have --
    Of Spice -- I infer from the Odors borne --

Of its Voice -- to affirm -- when the Wind is within --
    Can the Dumb -- define the Divine?
    The Definition of Melody -- is --
    That Definition is none --

It -- suggests to our Faith --
    They -- suggest to our Sight --
    When the latter -- is put away
    I shall meet with Conviction I somewhere met
    That Immortality --

Was the Pine at my Window a "Fellow
    Of the Royal" Infinity?
    Apprehensions -- are God's introductions --
    To be hallowed -- accordingly --

I personally think that this poem is pretty much proof that Emily Dickinson IS NOT in fact a hoax... at least not in the hearts of many... at least not in my heart.

Somewhere between reality and creativity... Whether East or West, living at the SEA suites me best!
    Blog Entries

Emily a Hoax?

Okay, Shout... Would you mind elaborating on your reasoning behind that thought? Emily is a pretty serious name in the Literature world...so I would really like some clearer definition brought to your statement. It would be appreciated.
    Our passions are not too strong, they are too weak. We are far too easily pleased.

~C.S. Lewis

http://michellerichmond.com/fictionattic/?page_id=9

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast