Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: failure what does it mean?!!

Exclamation failure what does it mean?!!

It happens to me sometimes that i go below expectations mine or other's.
    what is supposed to happen in that moment let go of everything (coz that's what i want to do) although you know that you failed in something your good at?
    OR just keep trying believing it will be better?!!
    BUT what if it doesn't get better?!!
    What happens when you realize that you r a commoner not unique not special u r just as everyone else is?

can someone plz help me and tell me how am i supposed to deal with it?

Blog Entries
    There is a quote that not getting back up after being knocked down is failure...I paraphrase I know. What is wrong with being common? If you don't want to be common, then only you can make yourself uncommon.

learn an instrument, conquer your fears, break out of your mold, explore your world and your self. If you do just one of those things with a passion you are not common. If you do all of those things with a passion, then you retain your individuality... It is all how you define success.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

QUOTE=B-Mental
    If you do all of those things with a passion, then you retain your individuality...

B-Mental:
    do u honestly believe in that?
    how do u define unique?
    Last edited by sam96; 12-30-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Between the pages of whatever I'm reading
    Failure is the opportunity to learn from your mistake and make a future winning moment from your lesson. I learned a quote in my college business class, I can't remember who said it, but it was impactful just the same, I will paraphrase it, as well: Success is a string of small failures. This means to me that nobody does it perfectly the first time, but when we learn from those failures, incorporate the lessons learned, and re-attempt to accomplish our goals, we eventually achieve success.

For example, the Wright Brothers made numerous attempts at building a successful aircraft before their successful prototype came to be. If they had quit after their first failed attempt, then the fabled flight at Kitty Hawk never would have occurred. The Wright Brothers, btw, were considered "common" for their day, and certainly there wasn't anything that they'd accomplished to distinguish themselves until the Wright Flyer took off. I agree with B-Mental, "only you can make yourself uncommon."

The fact that you are questioning this concept indicates to me that you may possess the passion and fortitude to make the necessary changes in your life.

AG
    Life is not a static display. It took change to be where you are today--effect the change to be somewhere else tomorrow.
    ~MJ Ravenscroft

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    If we dont fail, how do we suceed?
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sam96 View Post
    It happens to me sometimes that i go below expectations mine or other's.
    what is supposed to happen in that moment let go of everything (coz that's what i want to do) although you know that you failed in something your good at?
    OR just keep trying believing it will be better?!!
    BUT what if it doesn't get better?!!
    What happens when you realize that you r a commoner not unique not special u r just as everyone else is?

Oh, Sam, don't worry. We all fail. Setting your sights high is a good thing. You're young. Success will come. And you will also fail again too. Both happens in life. It does with me. At work I keep a framed quote from Theodore Roosevelt on my desk. This is it:
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    To be in the arena and to dare great things is all one can strive for. Success or failure will happen as they happen. Just learn from your fialures.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    QUOTE=B-Mental
    If you do all of those things with a passion, then you retain your individuality...

B-Mental:
    do u honestly believe in that?
    how do u define unique?
    you sound like its a load of crap... yes, I do believe that honestly. Its easy for you doubt me...that would make you common...in my honest opinion.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

B-Mental:
    i didn't mean that it's a load of crap it's just that when u read a book the answer to my question would b what u said.but then try falling and getting up again it's not such an easy thing you know but it is said that the hard road is the right road and don't b mad at me i'm sorry. i wrote it right after i failed.

Dramasnot6:
    i thought that maybe some people are not meant to succeed!!!!

Autumngal:
    Thank you for your reply it boosted me ur actually stating it as a fact with examlpes .

Virgil:
    you know i didn't really think about it in a wide scale which i admit was very foolish of me (i mean i knew but i didn't fully comprehend it so it's not only me)lol
    and a very good quote by the way.

Blog Entries
    heh, failure = humanity.

it is human nature to fail, so, don't worry, your just another homosapien.

But for being common...what is the definition of common, how can it be defined. if you know yourself to be common, you are not. you have an awareness of different groups, which in its own respect makes you somewhat unique.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Stainslaw:
    so u mean unique is being one's self? my definition of unique is somewhat not normal,unlike everybody else better or worse .
    then another question if we classify people as really bad(few)
    normal(most of them=commoners) and really good(also few).
    Is being really bad better than being normal?

in my opinion one suceeds if one creates happiness or good of any kind. If you are happy, family is made happy, you give to a charity and make those less fortunate then you happy...then you have suceeded.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Hello Sam,

Your question brought so many good comments...

I once saw a definition of normal: "one whoīs according to the norm"; it means that normal is just someone whoīs behaving and thinking equally to the majority of people; it doesnīt mean heīs right or wrong. This is a different issue. And being really bad is WORSE than being normal, in my oppinion. But itīs better to be different, or even better, to be yourself.

Everybodyīs unique; even if you fail like everybody, share the same tastes and opinions as the majority, believes in the same beliefs of many people, youīre still an unique person; your individuality is what makes you be yourself; thereīs only one Sam96 in this world; only you thinks and feels exactly like you. And itīs good to be an unique individual.

As for failure, itīs normal; he who didnīt fail didnīt try; and he who didnīt try will not win. Like AutumnGal said:

"Failure is the opportunity to learn from your mistake and make a future winning moment from your lesson. I learned a quote in my college business class, I can't remember who said it, but it was impactful just the same, I will paraphrase it, as well: Success is a string of small failures. This means to me that nobody does it perfectly the first time, but when we learn from those failures, incorporate the lessons learned, and re-attempt to accomplish our goals, we eventually achieve success. "
    Thatīs it. Donīt let your failures of today ruin your life. Learn with them, and think: I did my best, so, if I didnīt succeed, Iīll try again next time. Thinking this way allows you to put your head in the pillow every night and sleep peacefully with your conscience.

Chin up, and go ahead...

And Virgil: I liked Teddy Roosevelt quote too... very good one.
    Last edited by Bookworm Cris; 12-31-2006 at 08:01 PM.
    "Itīs our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"
    Albus Dumbledore, in HP and the Chamber of Secrets - J K Rowling

My crafts website (in Portuguese): www.terracotabolsas.com

Stainslaw:
    so u mean unique is being one's self? my definition of unique is somewhat not normal,unlike everybody else better or worse .
    then another question if we classify people as really bad(few)
    normal(most of them=commoners) and really good(also few).
    Is being really bad better than being normal?
    I dont believe in the term "normal". No one is born normal, they merely choose to conform in later life. Everyone is born differently, and it is there choice to live and to be different or not. The major powers in society, the media, politics, set standards based on what they want and their beliefs to how everyone should live and be. Many people choose to conform to the standards and deem themselves "normal", but its completely up to you sam. You are born with the ability to suceed just as much as anyone else, in different ways yes, but still to suceed. We get the idea from societal standards that "suceeding" is a very limited and specific act, like making lots of money or getting lots of power. But its not like that, success is completely molded by who suceeds. My mom has always told me when i have asked about sucess "Its not what you have, but what you do with it". Its a good philosophy to live by. Ill paste a few quotes i agree with about sucess, maybe they will help:

"If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded."
    -Maya Angelou

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him."
    -David Brink

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Sir Winston Churchill

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." -Albert Einstein

Hey Cris:
    Thanx you help me and push me up yayyyy!
    i'll try not to get beaten down again more importantly i'll always try to get up.

Dramasnot6:
    Then we (usually)always have the same potential but it's a matter of we do with it .you know ur right the media does have a role in this(in general i mean)
    and thank you for the quotes they really were helpful.

My dear, everyone is special in a way or another. We might have alot of commons, but we`ll certainly have something that differentiates us.

Failure, to me, is, "You did it wrong, RE-DO it again until you do it correctly."

I forgot his name, but when his lab was burning he called his son asking him to call his mother and see how the lab was burning, for she WONT see it burning again. That means he lost alot of projects, important projects, but he didn`t give up, he decided to make-it-up and hopefully this thing wont happen again.
    We learn from out mistakes and failures.

Just give it MORE importance/attention, set the goal, and achieve it.
    I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death. - Robert Fulghum
    Je Chante Une Chanson Sombre
    The Lady of Mine - Opinion please
    A tragedy crept to the name Bathory

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast