Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Which COUNTRY has produced the greatest literature?

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
    No. 'God of Small Things,' is written by Arundhati Roy. She is an Indian writer.
    That's a very beautiful book. I did a project on it in high-school and liked it very much . You should not miss it, Pensy, I'm sure it suits your taste .
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
    No. 'God of Small Things,' is written by Arundhati Roy. She is an Indian writer.

Bapsi, is a writer of Pakistani origin. See here and here.

Do you remember a movie named 'Earth'? It was also made based on her novel Ice Candy Man (Cracking India), this movie and novel have the setting of the partition time.

I have read only one book of her so far 'The Crow Eaters' and saw the movie 'Earth,' and I liked both, I dont know, if you'll like these, but I think you'll find her books interesting.
    I think I have read her name in the newspapers. The novels, by their title, seem very interesting. I will try to find and read any of her works.

That's a very beautiful book. I did a project on it in high-school and liked it very much. You should not miss it, Pensy, I'm sure it suits your taste.
    I guess so. The title, God of Small Things is quite compelling. I will try it soon hopefully. (I have got lots of books on my reading list at the moment! )
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    I think I have read her name in the newspapers. The novels, by their title, seem very interesting. I will try to find and read any of her works.
    She is quite famous and a good writer. If you are interested in reading about partition and all, then you must try her books.

Also, I would recommend books written by Amrita Pritam, Pinjar (Cage), she has written many other books too, and Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh.

If you arent so interested in history then maybe you can try Interpreter of Maladies, by Jhumpa Lahiri. Its a very good book of stories, I have read it several times and liked it immensly.

I think by now your reading list must have become enormous

Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

It's an easy, almost rhetorical question for me...Russian literature, of course!
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    It's an easy, almost rhetorical question for me...Russian literature, of course!
    And you, I believe, are Croatian ? What attracted you to Russian literature ? The fact that it's Slavic, or other aspects ?
    Last edited by olichka; 02-07-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olichka View Post
    And you, I believe, are Croatian ? What attracted you to Russian literature ? The fact that it's Slavic, or other aspects ?
    Yes, Boris informed you well. What attracts me??? Again a rhetorical question... After Father and Sons, Crime and Punishment, Dead souls, Kabanica(cloak, I think), Brothers Karamazov,...other books just keep coming! I've read all Dostoevsky's books, many Tolstoy's works and others, so I simply can't see how could any other literature be anywhere near Russian!
    But hey, that's just my opinion!
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    After Father and Sons, Crime and Punishment, Dead souls, Kabanica(cloak, I think), Brothers Karamazov,...other books just keep coming! I've read all Dostoevsky's books, many Tolstoy's works and others, so I simply can't see how could any other literature be anywhere near Russian!
    But hey, that's just my opinion!
    I agree. Every now and then I make myself read something that isn't Russian, thinking I need to expand my horizons a little bit but I always come back to it and it feels oddly like coming home. I like the dark and sometimes oppressive feel to it, I love the deep insight into the human psyche, I love the political and social commentary and backgrounds that seem to permeate every Russian work whether it's pre-Revolutionary or post, I love the larger than life characters and the passion in which they live their lives. It's a culture very different from my own and I find it utterly fascinating.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Quote Originally Posted by Idril View Post
    I agree. Every now and then I make myself read something that isn't Russian, thinking I need to expand my horizons a little bit but I always come back to it and it feels oddly like coming home. I like the dark and sometimes oppressive feel to it, I love the deep insight into the human psyche, I love the political and social commentary and backgrounds that seem to permeate every Russian work whether it's pre-Revolutionary or post, I love the larger than life characters and the passion in which they live their lives. It's a culture very different from my own and I find it utterly fascinating.

Excellently expressed, Idril. That's exactly what I've thought myself ! In particular, I agree with your statement about the larger-than -life characters and " the passion in which they live their lives ". Quite often, the situations described in Russian works are quite ordinary, but it's the characters' passion to live them that makes them exciting and unique !
    Last edited by olichka; 02-07-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Italy, England, Rome, Greece and Russia. Though I love American literature we haven't produced anything likely to be read in 300 years the way that Homer, Virgil, Dante, Shakespeare and Dostoevsky are read today.

ali is the greatest, but many fight experts say that pound for pound marvin hagler was the greatest. pound for pound by which i mean a nation's literary culture in terms of length, breath and tradition, russia in its relative brief existence as a literary giant tops all european nations.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Ok, ok, I know off-topic: but Hagler? seriously? not Sugar Ray Robinson?
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

And Sugar Ray equates to .... which literary tradition?

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ennison View Post
    And Sugar Ray equates to .... which literary tradition?
    Not specifically literary, but still scholarly......he clearly relates to the sweet science
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Ancient Greece,India and China are unquestionably greatest countries several thousand years ago. Then Dante and Shakespeare throughout the following years. In 19th century I think Russia and France were the most attractive lit countries.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

Britain, yes.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's" - Dostoevksy

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast