Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We've got the cup!

We've got the cup!

After growing up thinking our hockey team just had a cool name, I finally started paying attention to what we were doing, becuase we were starting to win. Scince I'm the only Tampa, FL resident here (I believe?) I thought it fitting to express my pride at my hometown team for giving us the Stanley Cup last night!!

Only question, why were the Canadians so mean?? They played a very rough game and I couldn't figure out why they were so much more physically violent than we were. Could some of you Canadians explain?
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Congrats Shea!! The owner of the Detroit Pistons also owns TB Lightenings (Is that their name?) so I've been rooting for them.

I'm not canadian (I'm from Detroit which is close) but hockey as a sport has always been violent. Most people I have talked too would say that the violence in the game has greatly diminished.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Ever Benevolent and Wise

I have no idea why Shea ... I didn't see the game, only hear details about it from some of my friends who are rabid fans.

I don't understand most sports anyway. Players are overpaid and the violence is a real turnoff. Doesn't seem to have much to do with `sport' or `skill' anymore, it's about money and violence. booo

It's all their testosterone surging; men get overaggressive in competitions. They just do.
    I don't like sports either.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    *dreamily...
    i love when football players dance around and somersault after making touchdowns. they look so cute then.

& CONGRATS TO YOUR TEAM, SHEA!
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

LOL
    Am I the only person who prefers the non-competitive, string-bean type?
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    i am sad and pouty, as a soon to be calgarian....
    i think we got so excited and worked up about the whole cup thing (us, being canadians) because we are reputed to be this whole country of hockey players and folks raised on ice skates to get to school, and yet the cup hasnt been home (ie: in canada) in more than ten years. then we got so close.....
    we get a little worked up, but underneath it we are still kind and caring people, i swear..
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

confratulations!

well, canadians... I think they beated us in World Championships of Hockey not that long ago... still painful for Slovakia... I mean it would be dangerous to be canadian or american that time and move along Slovakia do not take me wrong, but Slovakia is not playing hockey within its country.... but when it comes to Championships, all players come from countries around the world.. join and one feels really proud... I suppose that there are slovak players in most of the teams hihi is there some in your team? so that I can feel proud with you also?
    "I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early."
    Charles Lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by papayahed
    Congrats Shea!! The owner of the Detroit Pistons also owns TB Lightenings (Is that their name?) so I've been rooting for them.
    Shame about the Pistons yesterday. I was hoping they could repeat their early victory. I'm tired of seeing the Lakers win all the time. The Pistons should win all their games at home, although so far no one has swiped three consecutive games in playoffs at home.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

The Flames weren't "mean!" It's true they play a very physical style, but it's never personal and it's great hockey. It's as fundamental as any hit in football. Separate the man from the puck; if you do it hard enough often enough, he begins to think about the hit that's coming instead of the read he should be making.

They really get it from their coach. Daryll Sutter built his whole career on hard-nosed, tough play. Nothing wrong with that. I love watching the Flames play even though I'm not a Calgary fan. This was a great Finals - far better than the trapping mess we've had foisted on us the past half decade. Kudos to the Bolts and Flames!

Congrat, Shea.
    verybaddmom, I feel your pain.

Blog Entries
    I am canadian, albertan to be specific, but I don't really care that calgary lost, I am not much into hockey, and I am even kind of glad that we lost, If we had one there probably would have been another riot as the drunken fans poored out of the bars.

I just hate it when people get so worked up about a game that they go and cause thousands of dollars in damage after "their" team loses.
    I mean its just a bunch of overpayed boxers with skates.
    (No offence to hockey fans)

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw
    I mean its just a bunch of overpayed boxers with skates.
    (No offence to hockey fans)
    As long as you're willing to extend the same to baseball, the only sport that sanctions bench-clearing brawls, none taken.

Originally Posted by Crisaor
    Shame about the Pistons yesterday. I was hoping they could repeat their early victory. I'm tired of seeing the Lakers win all the time. The Pistons should win all their games at home, although so far no one has swiped three consecutive games in playoffs at home.
    I'm just glad it wasn't a blow out like everybody was predicting. What's really bothersome is the announcers keep saying that these last two have been ugly games......why cause the pistons are playing a good defense and not letting the Lakers score?????
    Last edited by papayahed; 06-10-2004 at 09:34 AM.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by papayahed
    I'm just glad it wasn't a blow out like everybody was predicting. What's really bothersome is the announcers keep saying that these last two have been ugly games......why cause the pistons are playing a good defense and not letting the Lakers score?????
    Good points. It's just that in the West they aren't accustomed to see good defense. Excluding San Antonio, no one really makes an effort in that field. But I guess if you have Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal in the same team, you wouldn't need to. Defense wins championships, and that's a fact. Michael Jordan and the bulls wouldn't have won without a good defense. The Lakers might have the best (two) players in the league, but when they're not at their best....
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Well, as I learned that most of the players on our team are Canadian as well, I wonder if we would have been just as ruff if we weren't in the lead that last game. Oh well, I'm glad we one the cup. Now that we've also got our first superbowl, all we need is for the Rays to pull it together to get to the World Series. Baseball is my sport anyway!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast