Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orwell, 1949, but no current politics?

First post from Trotsky

My first post!
    I agree. When discussing "1984" to enter into current politics would be to digress. It would be to miss the point of the book. "1984" is not about a particular time. I believe Orwell is a greater writer than this. He wants to convey a more universal Truth.
    In modern times many others want to say the say the same thing. I like to compare "1984" with "The Matrix" . We are all living in a world of illusion ....... where we all know that the Ministry of Defence is really the Ministry of War. But we all swallow "Newspeak".
    The problem is "How to break free of the illusion"? Room 101 takes many forms.
    "I love Big Brother"

Quote Originally Posted by martingeraghty1 View Post
    My first post!
    Don't let it be your last!
    We are all living in a world of illusion ....... where we all know that the Ministry of Defence is really the Ministry of War. But we all swallow "Newspeak".
    You are not fighting always, only when your defending yourself. They were always in war; and they were attackers, not the defenders. Ministry of Defense stops war, and Ministry of War creates them. So they are actually opposite.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by martingeraghty1 View Post
    My first post!
    I agree. When discussing "1984" to enter into current politics would be to digress. It would be to miss the point of the book. "1984" is not about a particular time. I believe Orwell is a greater writer than this. He wants to convey a more universal Truth.
    In modern times many others want to say the say the same thing. I like to compare "1984" with "The Matrix" . We are all living in a world of illusion ....... where we all know that the Ministry of Defence is really the Ministry of War. But we all swallow "Newspeak".
    The problem is "How to break free of the illusion"? Room 101 takes many forms.
    "I love Big Brother"
    Well that's a pretty bloody good start to your posting career!

Welcome to the party!
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    You are not fighting always, only when your defending yourself. They were always in war; and they were attackers, not the defenders. Ministry of Defense stops war, and Ministry of War creates them. So they are actually opposite.
    That doesn't appear to hold in 2007, though. {edit}

One thing I do like is that Orwell designated North Africa as the area where all the fighting was done and what was being fought over in 1984. Now where is all the fighting at the moment?
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 05-03-2007 at 06:35 AM. Reason: current politics
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    That doesn't appear to hold in 2007, though. {edit}
    Now when you're edited, I really dunno what to say !

One thing I do like is that Orwell designated North Africa as the area where all the fighting was done and what was being fought over in 1984. Now where is all the fighting at the moment?
    Well, he assumed; and he assumed it well, that after they get their freedom, there will be peace.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Now when you're edited, I really dunno what to say !
    Well, it doesn't actually say anything now...

I'm not quite sure I understand why it was edited, it apolitical, I thought. Oh well, back to the old drawing board...

you said:

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov
    Ministry of Defense stops war, and Ministry of War creates them. So they are actually opposite.
    Can I note that of western countries currently at war, every department in charge of the forces involved are styled, "Ministry/Department of Defence", yet none of them are actually defending their own soil? (Surely that's an Orwellism and not politics?)

Hope so.

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    Can I note that of western countries currently at war, every department in charge of the forces involved are styled, "Ministry/Department of Defence", yet none of them are actually defending their own soil? (Surely that's an Orwellism and not politics?)

Hope so.
    Now I've seen it before
    Maybe you are right, but...
    Korea, Cuba, Cold War, Vietnam, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Cambodia are some scary post WWII events coming to my mind. But Party weren't attackers, they were helping to poor civilians. No matter do you think on Asian oil or Afghanistan's water supplies; Party was always helping to defend or calm down and they never came first and attack! OK, maybe Iraq...

First post,
    "Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it." Orwells "Satire" sure rings out true every decade since written and more so today. Telescreen-Internet. Whats the future going to hold? OK maybe US within...

I remember reading 1984 as a high-school kid and discussing it with classmates. The year 1984 was still ten years away and even with the Cold War in full swing, it just didn't have the same penetration then as it does now. We didn't fear the technology in the 1970s, simply because it didn't exist. Now, it's just a little closer to home. Surveillance cameras, anyone?

Anon

OK, Big Brother !

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yup, Admin (the owner/administrator of this site is) and us moderators are your 'big brother' if you choose to stay here
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowraven View Post
    I'm confused. Maybe somebody can clarify? I am currently reading 1984, almost finished, and thought about posting some questions/thoughts on the book here (since there *is* an ENTIRE forum dedicated to the author)... but we can't discuss current politics? I'm confused about how the two can even be seperated. I'm a teacher and although my students and I do talk about generalized themes and literary devices... however, even my 9th graders realize that you cannot separate literature from culture (politics included).
    look, 1984 came and gone
    but some politicians use terrorism to excite public zeal all kinds fear raised inside a nation, then a useful atmosphere is created, more money in national security----you know who i am talking about

very hard to make the distinction lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12