Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Occupation

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beautiful Occupation

Inspired by Travis's song

What do you consider as the most exicting job/occupation in this world?
    An occupation you wish you could/already have...

A writer (esp thriller, sci-fi, adventure writer) is on top of my list,
    A Musician is at the second place
    and the last is a Biologist...esp Marine Biologist

Cheers

Blog Entries
    i think it would be totally cool to be a pirate, or failing that, a research scientist. i would like to see a small, sophisticated, perfect machine that could pick up someone's vibrations (sonar, as opposed to electrical currents), and compare any disparity anywhere in their bodies with the optimal tonal vibrations of health, thereby diagnosing, and ultimately (via sound) curing them of disease. this seemed like a wonderful idea but when i broached it to my anatomy instructor, i found out it wasn't new; they are working on something similar in the former soviet union. still...it would be so cool to heal and be paid to ask questions.
    Last edited by amuse; 08-21-2004 at 01:12 AM.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Anything in the Fine Arts. The power to make people 'feel' with only an artistically rendered representation of life, a sculpture, a painting, a story, a song..... the ability to give an everlasting new 'beauty' to the world.....wowzerrrrr!! That would be just too cool!!!!

Secretly I always wanted to be a dancer.
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Writer. Master of the Universe. Whichever comes first.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Fiction editor

Journalist or book reviewer...
    "Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."

My realistic dream job is a dentist. (My parents also have something to do with it, I gotta admit.)

But I always think it would be cool to be:
    1) A farmer in the countryside who works with animals most of the day. (I'll ignore the part where she has to butcher some of the animals.)
    2) A circus member who lives in a caravan. (I don't know where I should be getting the mail though.)
    3) A detective who can solve everything a la Sherlock Holmes. (Too bad murders freak me out.)
    4) A traveler like that boy in Pokemon who spends most of her time in the jungle. (Unfortunately, I'd most likely die when I meet a poisonous snake and/or a tiger/wolf/coyote/hyeena/etc.)

Geez, I hate the 21st century; it only wrecks my dreams.
    You're just another bastard.

O ya, wait. A few realistic jobs I somewhat wish I could have but can't due to lack of talent/effort:

1) A writer (like everybody else in this forum ). But my last writing teacher left an impression on me that term papers are the most horrible thing that can happen to you in college. And my grammar was getting worse with each passing day in that class for some reason.
    2) A manga artist. (Only that would require me to move to Japan and it would take awhile to learn all about Japanese culture before I could create a story that takes place in Japan.)
    3) A guitarist/songwriter. (The only song I can play well is "Humpty Dumpty." No, wait, I lied, I can also play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.")

Yea, I think that's all.
    You're just another bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Shelf
    Journalist or book reviewer...
    I'd second that I think... It used to be my dream to be a journalist...
    Or music journalist, or sport journalist...

Or translator, it must be enormously satisfying but also incredibly hard. (and me is lazy...!)
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    dream job?
    working in a greenhouse with plants all day: growing, trimming, planting, feeding, talking.....etc
    of course i considered once opening a greenhouse of my own, as i have a pretty green thumb. the problem is that i've seen owners get so wrapped up in the paperwork and details of administration that the staff ends up doing all the work and the owner never gets dirt under his/her fingernails. that's not for me at all
    i guess second best would be investigative journalism. i started a research paper once on genetically modified foods and ended up writing this spectacular article on "MONSANTO": the big bad biotech company slowing taking over the world like cancer. i got so much out of telling people about it and making people aware. just because the average citizen doesnt know about it doesnt mean they shouldnt.
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

U2aholic
    apart from short story writer photographer, astronomer or translator. the middle ones aren't possible because in photography you need to know some chemistry and in astronomy physics and I hate both those subjects.
    In dreams begin responsibilities.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoe
    O ya, wait. A few realistic jobs I somewhat wish I could have but can't due to lack of talent/effort:

2) A manga artist. (Only that would require me to move to Japan and it would take awhile to learn all about Japanese culture before I could create a story that takes place in Japan.)

Yea, I think that's all.

a manga artist..? what is that?
    I think a Kabuki player is also somewhat interesting...

i guess second best would be investigative journalism. i started a research paper once on genetically modified foods and ended up writing this spectacular article on "MONSANTO": the big bad biotech company slowing taking over the world like cancer. i got so much out of telling people about it and making people aware. just because the average citizen doesnt know about it doesnt mean they shouldnt.
    I think many farmers in India and latin america somewhat already aware about this Monsanto monster..anyway..an investigative journalist sounds cool..a secret agent in its own way...

Cheers

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    Writer. Master of the Universe. Whichever comes first.
    sounds powerfull enough, but all of my life i never had the passion to be a master of anything,,well beside a taichi master..

fated loafer
    Oh the options of employment are endless: toy tester where I can expertly decapitate barbie and put her and Ken through various mutilations, goat herding where I can sell goat cheese on ebay from my cave in the alps, or theres always expert knife thrower or becoming the first woman to turn into an octopus. And of course the major of Greek and Roman studies is bound to help me in any of these various arenas.

But practically speaking my future probably holds dishwashing in the back of a greasy resteraunt where I spend dull moments turning forks and spoons into enemy submarines or else having the job of plant waterer around the city like the mexican immigrants and getting to hold up traffic and shoot long streams of water at cars passing by.

Anythings possible, I beleive you could become the master of the universe Crisaor, but if that time does come, will you place me on an island filled with books and goats and knives?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast