Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your first 'proper book'??

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar

What was your first 'proper book'??

What was the first proper book that you read as a child?

Not necessarily great literature, but the step up form Topsy and Tim or Janet and John that made you think that reading was what you loved most in the world.

And why that book?

Mine was Five have plenty of fun by Enid Blyton when I was 5. We were going to see the stage production of the famous five at the Oxford Playhouse, so mum bought me the book as our bedtime reading. The familiar story then followed with me picking it up and turning my lights back on to read ahead... and I was captivated; I've loved books ever since. Although my Famous Five phase lasted for a while, thankfully I have moved on somewhat.

So what about you?
    Last edited by Lioness_Heart; 12-28-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: REALLY bad punctuation
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Legends of King Arthur by Janyce L. Minnton
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    "there is an absolute
    and that must be in the heart"

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness_Heart View Post
    What was the first proper book that you read as a child?
    The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

squirrel saint
    I've been told that my first 'proper book' was the Little Prince, but I most remember Peter Rabbit and Alice. We read along with our parents, so it's difficult to remember when I started reading alone.

I do remember that the first book I ever brought home from the school library was Swallows and Amazons. The dog tore it to shreds.
    Last edited by loggats; 12-28-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: not sure
    What is the use of a book, without pictures or conversations?

It was "Jamaica Inn", my mother's all-time favourite book. She gave it to me in my 12th birthday.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

My first proper book was Antigone i think or Aristophanes' "The frogs". I was about 11 years old.
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Blog Entries
    The Return of the Spirit by an Egyptian writer called Tawfiq Al-Hakim...I was 11 or 12 can't really remember!
    Last edited by Nossa; 12-28-2007 at 05:48 PM.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i think it was freckle juice, by judy blume..or one of those babysitters club books.
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    Call of the Wild by Jack London. I think I was eight, maybe ten, I don't remember, I was very young. I read it once wearing my winter coat on in the house, and my mother came into my room to ask me why I was wearing it--it was one of those jackets with the fur around the hood. I told her that I was cold, but the truth is I was too embarrassed to tell her that I was living in that novel.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by jon1jt View Post
    Call of the Wild by Jack London. I think I was eight, maybe ten, I don't remember, I was very young. I read it once wearing my winter coat on in the house, and my mother came into my room to ask me why I was wearing it--it was one of those jackets with the fur around the hood. I told her that I was cold, but the truth is I was too embarrassed to tell her that I was living in that novel.
    That is adorable Jon!!

I think my first "chapter book" (which is how I interpreted the question) was Stuart Little. And I read most of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books too. Those were the first books that I really sat down and read at length on my own.

Blog Entries
    My father taught me to read with Gulliver's Travels and Ronia, daughter of the bandits. The spanish translations.
    Shall these bones live?

I read a ton of the Piers Anthony Xanth books starting when I was ten or so. Fun stuff, even though I'm sure I didn't get half the puns that were the mainstay of that series.

I started reading Urdu afsaanas (stories of relations, family problems or love stories) from quite an early age, let's say from Grade 2 or Grade 3. Oh and I also used to read suspense Urdu novels. And from Grade 3 or Grade 4 got interested in Enid Blyton's Secret Seven and Famous Five series.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I transcend the common notions of space. When I'm sleeping.
    The first real novel I read was the first Harry Potter in third grade. The first novel that I read and liked was about a Jewish girl in WWII(not Anne Frank), a year later; sadly, I can't remember it's name. I didn't decide that I really liked reading until relatively recently, and it was reading a Napoleon biography, not a novel. I really liked the feeling my brain got while I was reading Felix Markham's biography of Napoleon, I don't think there was anything particualy significant about the book though, I just decided that I liked reading while I read it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast