Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your first 'proper book'??

Our thoughts make spirals The Intended's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tersely View Post
    I owned every one of those.
    Me too! And then I got so mad at how they ended I put them all in a big garbage bag and gave them to the library.
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the Eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.
    -- "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", T. S. Eliot

" 'Yes,' I said, as though carrying on a discussion, 'and amongst other things you dreamed foolishly of a certain butterfly. . .' "
    -- Lord Jim, Joseph Conrad

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Intended View Post
    Me too! And then I got so mad at how they ended I put them all in a big garbage bag and gave them to the library.

I borroweed the lot from a friend while we were on holiday... my sisters weher abiut 10 books behind me , I hod the last one and told them it was for their own good that they didnt read it, Ive found most of applegates books end horribley.!
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Can't really remember. There was this book Mr. Meddle's Muddles by Enid Blyton and I loved that when I was six or seven. Can't remember many Urdu ones either. There were these book containing the adventure stories of Hatim Tai in Urdu and it was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tersely View Post
    I owned every one of those.
    I loved that series, too. Didn't own every one, though. All I had in my town to buy books at was a Wal-Mart and they didn't always stock the new monthly (or was it bi-monthly?) copy so I missed some here and there.

The first book I chose to read on my own was The Inferno of Dante Alighieri. I was really quite young, but had heard something about it somewhere and decided I was old enough to read it. I'm not sure how far I got, though on re-reading it a few years ago I remembered enough to substantiate the memory.

...I was a really wierd kid lol...

Other then that, The Diary of Anne Frank was the next "proper" book I read.
    "What makes people so impatient is what I can't figure; all the guy had to do was wait."- Cheif, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Blog Entries
    Well, when I was in the first or second grade, my grandmother bought me a collection of abridged classics, such as twenty thousand leagues under the sea, the prince and the pauper, heidi, black beauty etc.

they were illustrated and they sat on my book shelf forever.

I think my first proper book was Little House in the Big Woods. After I read that, I read little House on the Prairie and then started reading baby sitter club books and Nancy Drew and after that I finally got around to reading those abridged classics.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Oh God, I can't remember a specific one... the LM Montgomery books of course (I was actually a bigger fan of Emily of New Moon than Anne, though...) Black Beauty, A Little Princess, the Secret Garden, Ballet Shoes, Charlotte Sometimes, the Chronicles of Narnia... and mountains and mountains of pony books.
    There's one thing I'm looking forward to about having kids some day, and that's being about to pass on my carefully preserved childhood library... I know I'll feel so jealous of them entering these magical worlds for the first time! I don't know what I'll do if I end up with loathesome video-gameaholic bibliophobes though... probably have to drown them.

I think my first "chapter books" were the Hardy Boys books by Franklin W. Dixon.

I had been reading "bad" literature for quite some time but one day (was 15 at the time) a friend of mine bought me a copy of The Stranger by Albert Camus. That's when everything changed.

I believe it was Metamorphoses by Franz Kafka
    had to read it at least 3 times to understand anything
    but this journey, I believe, will lead me to bottomless seas

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star View Post
    All I had in my town to buy books at was a Wal-Mart and they didn't always stock the new monthly (or was it bi-monthly?) copy so I missed some here and there.
    Eww...I have that problem now. I used to live in a city with 8 bookstores under a 20 mile radius. Now I moved to a smaller town with only a walmart as my book store. Amazon.com became my best friend.

The Intended- I feel the same way about the series, and its such a shame because I spent years following it and its one of those books that were in my early childhood that I can't take back.

so I dub thee unforgiven ntropyincarnate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure, but I think the first "proper book" I actually read on my own might have been Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field(?). I think. I really can't remember. I really have no remembrance of how old I was when I read certain things.
    Snow White is doing dishes again, 'cause what else can you do with seven itty bitty men?

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    I was 5 when I became a true bookworm, although I have been told I loved to be read to long before that.
    I loved a collection of tales of folklore from around the world, illustrated and simplified for children. I remember a few short stories, particulary one about rice balls and mice from Japan. In the story, an old man would sing "Rolling...Rolling...Rolling rice balls".
    I got a big 5 year old kick outta that.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Falling down like an omen lucidnightmares's Avatar
    my first where probably the books by R.L Stine
    but my first book that actually drew me into it was A Dirty Job....best book ever

what i used to be will pass away and then you`ll see that all i want to know is happiness for you and me...

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Igetanotion View Post
    Other then that, The Diary of Anne Frank was the next "proper" book I read.
    I remember, the first time I read that, I think I was too young to fully appreciate its true implications; the fact that this was her real diary. It's only since then, reading it again, that I've really appreciated it. Just thinking about it now makes me feel really sad and shivery.
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast