Page 11 of 139 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

Quote Originally Posted by Shea
    "My candle burns at both ends
    It will not last the night
    But oh my foes and oh my friends
    It gives a lovely light."

I'm not sure where this originated, but it was quoted in a funny play that I was in, and I've always remembered it. Oh, the play was called Dear Ruth.

The quote is originally by Edna St. Vincent Millay

quote about quote

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    -- Joseph Roux

not sure who the human was beside the fact that he was french but i like the double entendre
    I am you! are you me?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Core reality carries no reality. It is a figure of speech self validating truth. It has no basis of knowledge or experience, and creates no basis of knowledge or experience. A core reality is an insight, possibly accessed only through meditation and wisdom contemplation, but definitely not with feelings and efforts

The weaver of silk
    -------------------------------------------------------

I am set into the stars Cassiopeia's Avatar
    Now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (St. Paul)
    Oooo, that's Corinthians 13:13, one of my favorite verses.

I have quite a few...

" I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing." - Agatha Christie

" I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind." - Emily Bronte

" Always there remains portions of our hearts into which no one is able to enter, invite them as we may." - Mary Dixon Thayer

And here are ones I cannot remember the author of...

" Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

" Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiopeia
    "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."
    William Congreve wrote this one in The Mourning Bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiopeia
    "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
    And the admirable and witty Oscar Wilde wrote this one.

Punctuation 'snob'

fav quotes

"Many men have thus a secret monster, a disease which thye feed, a dragon which gnaws them, a despair which inhabits their night. Such a man resmebles other poeple, goes, comes. Nobody knows that he has within him a fearful parasitic pain, with a thousand teeth, which lives in the miserable man, who is dying of it." ~Victor Hugo

"Men have a trick of coming up to what is expected of them, good or bad." ~Jacob August Rus

"But as for me, I will trust in You." ~Psalm 55 (last verse, don't have my Bible handy)

"I want to know God's thoughts. The rest are details." ~Albert Einstein

That's all for now!

PS--Hey guys, I'm new. Nice to meet ya.
    "I just don't understand how you can smile with all those tears in your eyes, and tell me everything is wonderful now." ~Everclear

The thing is...I understand

"In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." - Oscar Wilde
    ~* Lukkiseven *~

[SIZE=5][U][SIZE=7]Harry Potter isn't everything..... but it's up there with oxygen.
    I don't sufer from Potterholism..... I enjoy every minute of it~

"Are we not here now", said the colonel, striking his stick to the floor, "And are we not", dropping his head upon the ground, "gone in a moment?"
    Tristram Shandy
    One of the most powerful quotations I've ever heard. Don't know any better about vanitas (lots of them are to pathetic, what is of course my personal oponion).
    Greets

Blog Entries
    And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. - Hebrews 9:22

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Blog Entries
    Fashion is just another form of uglyness. And it is so ugly, it has to be changed every 6 months. -Oscar Wilde
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Richard III,

Great quote from a brilliant novel. Welcome to the forum.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes but in having new eyes. --Proust
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

U2aholic
    Work like you don't need money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no-one is watching.

I wanted to play guitar very badly and I DO play guitar very badly.

Both by Paul Hewson (a.k.a. Bono )
    In dreams begin responsibilities.

I cannot claim the below as my all-time favorite quote, but I read it today, and found it rather witty, and worth sharing.

There'll be two dates on your tombstone,
    And all your friends will read 'em;
    But all that's gonna matter
    Is that little dash between 'em.

Kevin Welch

Blog Entries
    Two more:

"The most violent religion is stupidity"
    "In time, the length of all ways is equal"
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Fresh, Fair and Innocent Adelheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw
    And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. - Hebrews 9:22
    Another translation says, (just to make it clearer):

"By the law, without shedding of Blood, is no remission of sin." Hebrews 9:22

That's why you need the Blood of Jesus to cleanse you from your sins. soap can't...water can't...detergent can't...only the blood of Jesus can.

(Before Jesus came, people offered sacrifices, and used a scapegoat.)
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

Punctuation 'snob'
    That's the beautiful thing about life, Adelheid. It's what keeps me (and many, many others) going.

And, to add a quote from Abraham Lincoln, "I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day."
    "I just don't understand how you can smile with all those tears in your eyes, and tell me everything is wonderful now." ~Everclear

The thing is...I understand