Thread: "Out, Out---"

"Out, Out---"

In English class, we were instructed to read a poem by Robert Frost named "Out, Out---." An excellent poem, in my opinion; in fact, this is my favorite of Frost's poems, or rather my favorite alongside "Birches." Whom here has read this poem? I would very much like to hear your interpretations.

If you have yet to read it, I will supply the poem in its entirety below.

Out, Out---

The buzz saw snarled and rattled in the yard
    And made dust and dropped stove-length sticks of wood,
    Sweet-scented stuff when the breeze drew across it.
    And from there those that lifted eyes could count
    Five mountain ranges one behing the other
    Under the sunset far into Vermont.
    And the saw snarled and rattled, snarled and rattled,
    As it ran light, or had to bear a load.
    And nothing happened: day was all but done.
    Call it a day, I wish they might have said
    To please the boy by giving him the half hour
    That a boy counts so much when saved from work.
    His sister stood beside him in her apron
    To tell them "Supper." At the word, the saw,
    As if it meant to prove saws know what supper meant,
    Leaped out at the boy's hand, or seemed to leap -
    He must have given the hand. However it was,
    Neither refused the meeting. But the hand!
    Half in appeal, but half as if to keep
    The life from spilling. Then the boy saw all -
    Since he was old enough to know, big boy
    Doing a man's work, though a child at heart -
    He saw all was spoiled. "Don't let him cut my hand off -
    The doctor, when he comes. Don't let him, sister!"
    So. The hand was gone already.
    The doctor put him in the dark of ether.
    He lay and puffed his lips out with his breath.
    And then - the watcher at his pulse took a fright.
    No one believed. They listened to his heart.
    Little - less - nothing! - and that ended it.
    No more to build on there. And they, since they
    Were not the one dead, turned to their affairs.

com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

okokok
    Last edited by ClickForth; 10-31-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    When we read this in gr. 12 English, one of my friends and I burst out laughing at the end...we were the only ones....I still find the ending so funny in a really morbid (Dickensian almost) way. It's just so.... blunt?...Beautiful
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    When we read this in gr. 12 English, one of my friends and I burst out laughing at the end...we were the only ones....I still find the ending so funny in a really morbid (Dickensian almost) way. It's just so.... blunt?...Beautiful
    I didn't burst out laughing, but I did think it queer.

When I first read the poem, I was under the impression that the boy almost purposely cut his hand off in order to avoid working. He was sick of "doing a man's work." I can't seem to find anyone who shares this interpretation.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    Hi Dori,

The poem is ok. The theme is cliché, in that it is about taking advantage of all the opportunities that present themselves to us during our lives, because we don’t know if those opportunities will present themselves to us again. Basically try and live as full a life as we can, for we don’t know when we will die.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post

When I first read the poem, I was under the impression that the boy almost purposely cut his hand off in order to avoid working. He was sick of "doing a man's work." I can't seem to find anyone who shares this interpretation.
    The boy is in a quandary: he feels obligated to work and support his family. Yet in doing so, he foregoes the opportunity to have a childhood. I can see where you would get the impression the boy purposely put his hand in the buzz saw, especially in this line: “He must have given the hand”. But there is doubt in the speaker’s voice…the boy could not have done this by accident, he must have put his hand in the buzz saw on purpose. The fact is we don’t know. The fact is the speaker does not know. At this point in the poem – only the boy knows, but his voice is absent from the poem. We must trust the speaker’s words – and his tone is one of disbelief, which also makes him – not believable.

The most interesting part of this poem (for me) starts when the boy’s hand is being cut off by the buzz saw. In this instant “the boy saw all”…and what he saw was “he saw a life that was spoiled.” Literally the boy is witnessing the blood spewing out of him, life leaving him. Metaphorically, the boy sees a childhood that was wasted away; opportunities presented which were not taken advantage of. This is the point of clarity for the boy, and the speaker telling the boy’s story.

Notice also in the same line: “Then the boy saw all”. “Saw” goes back to “buzz saw” in the beginning line of this poem; as if the boy finally sees what the buzz saw had seen all along: that you take advantage of every opportunity presented to you. A buzz saw is constructed to grind wood into sticks – that is its obligation. But when presented with the boy’s hand, the buzz saw took advantage of the opportunity and ground up the hand. The buzz saw has taken advantage of its opportunity; the boy had not.

I can understand why Charles found the ending darkly funny. The people witnessing the aftermath of this horrendous event did not take the opportunity to gain any clarity on their life. They did not see how abrupt life can end. They have not gained any higher appreciation for living life than before the boy’s death.

Out Out

hi im a new member.... i would just like to ask if any of you know why robert frost would have decided to call this poem out out instead of like buzzing saw????

if any of you know anything please let me know.... thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reesescup_chika View Post
    hi im a new member.... i would just like to ask if any of you know why robert frost would have decided to call this poem out out instead of like buzzing saw????

if any of you know anything please let me know.... thanks!!!
    Explain to me why you think this isn't so? Maybe it has something to do with the theme of the poem?

Blog Entries
    It's a Shakespearean allusion "Out, out-" - Lady Macbeth talking about the blood stain.......
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Code:
    yeah, me too! I was trying to find it really sad but just the way Frost puts it makes me laugh.

I don't like Robert Frost's poems but I am reading this one for my yr12 Eng Lit course. I think this one is my favourite of his though if I have to have one. I find it very hard to write about for some reason, which is unfortunate for me because my deadline is tomorrow

So there's my view of it, not a brilliant poem but the best of his that I've seen
    Smile, like you've got nothing to prove. No matter what you might do, there's always someone cooler than you...

Tia Pixie