Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you listen to the Teaching Company?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post
    [...] "Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition", with several literature profs. The last is very long, and one might say it is too broad to be very deep. It's a decent introduction, but it gives only half an hour to each literary figure (except for one or two, such as Shakespeare, who get two lectures), so I really wouldn't recommend it. [...]
    I bought the "Classics of Russian Literature" lecture series which was a decent introduction to Russian Literature. I didn't think it was too broad (it spent 5-6 lectures on Dostoevsky, the same for Tolstoy, 3 or so for Pushkin, and probably at least two on others). I have been contemplating buying a broader course, but now I don't think I will.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    I bought the "Classics of Russian Literature" lecture series which was a decent introduction to Russian Literature. I didn't think it was too broad (it spent 5-6 lectures on Dostoevsky, the same for Tolstoy, 3 or so for Pushkin, and probably at least two on others). I have been contemplating buying a broader course, but now I don't think I will.
    Ooh, that sounds nice. I've thought about getting the Russian one. Perhaps I will; it sounds much better than the longer one.

That is a very cool site,thanks for posting it.

I wish I could purchase some of those,but it is a little bit expensive for my funds.

I'm just a broke college student.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce View Post
    That is a very cool site,thanks for posting it.

I wish I could purchase some of those,but it is a little bit expensive for my funds.

I'm just a broke college student.
    No problem.

As for the money situation: have you ever tried randomly asking people for money (in small amounts so as not to be suspicious)? You'd be surprised at how well it works. I made $3 today. I'm a horrible person.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    No problem.

As for the money situation: have you ever tried randomly asking people for money (in small amounts so as not to be suspicious)? You'd be surprised at how well it works. I made $3 today. I'm a horrible person.
    I tried that when I was about 15 at the mall,and all I got was awkward stares.

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    I used to watch the Shakespeare lectures religiously. Peter Saccio rocks my world.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce View Post
    I tried that when I was about 15 at the mall,and all I got was awkward stares.
    Oh, well I narrow my audience to those I know (and the people hanging around them at the time).

Dostoevsky Forum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12