Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Man and the Sea

so I dub thee unforgiven ntropyincarnate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question The Old Man and the Sea

I'm reading this in English and I have to answer this question.

Describe the religious symbolism used by Hemingway. In what way is Santiago a Christ figure?

I must be missing something, because I really don't see any religious symbolism. There's definitely references to religion, but not really symbolism. And I have no idea how Santiago is a Christ figure. Can anyone help me out? It would be much appreciated.
    Snow White is doing dishes again, 'cause what else can you do with seven itty bitty men?

When he is dragging his mast from the shore? - Jesus carrying the cross. When he is lying in bed with his arm out-stretched? - Jesus on the cross.
    Last edited by novelsryou; 03-29-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    That helps some, thanks.
    Snow White is doing dishes again, 'cause what else can you do with seven itty bitty men?

Blog Entries
    Is there anything else? The question makes it look like it's throughout the book, not just at the end...and I don't really see how dragging a mast or laying with his arm out makes him a Christ figure, I mean when I think of Christ figure I think more in terms of acting like Christ...right? I really need help!

Blog Entries
    The fish can represent Christ because of the loaves and the fishes. The old man can represent Christ because of Jesus' instructions to his disciples to become fishers of men. However, I think that is reading into the text things which aren't really there. Hemingway didn't really do symbolism, and even in the stories where Christ is actually mentioned the material is tackled from a realist point of view. A number of his characters suffer, but their suffering is not redemptive, and the pain is more about stoic acceptance of the world, and not being defeated by obstacles.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's how I feel about it. Unfortunately I have to answer this stupid question...

-The old man's hands are often mentioned as being scarred,a possible reference to the scars Jesus suffered from being nailed to the cross.

-The old man and the boy have an almost disciple like relationship.

-Don't forget how importantly symbolic fish are to the Christian tradition.We've all seen the bumper stickers.The Apostles were often referred to as "fishers of men". While Santiago fishes for more commercial purposes,the symbolism here is somewhat implicit.Christ=Fisher of men,thus Santiago being a fisherman,is in itself a grand reference to Christ.

How bout you get creative and write about how the old man does not entirely act as a Christ figure.

Teachers don't seem to mind innovation as long as you demonstrate hard work behind it.

Bull****
    Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    Hemingway didn't really do symbolism
    I havn't read any of his novels, but having read The Old Man and the Sea and several short stories, I must say that Hemingway uses a lot of symbolism. Everything from objects, dialogue, to the setting itself often hold symbollic meaning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by APEist View Post
    I havn't read any of his novels, but having read The Old Man and the Sea and several short stories, I must say that Hemingway uses a lot of symbolism. Everything from objects, dialogue, to the setting itself often hold symbollic meaning.
    I've read everything he published in his lifetime, from his novels, to his journalism, and I'm telling you he doesn't use symbolism. A fish is a fish, and an old man is an old man. Hemingway loved fishing, and while he was living in Cuba, he heard about a man this happened to. He wrote a piece for Esquire magazine about the man in 1936 and this would become the basis for The Old Man and the Sea. The article appears in the April issue and is titled On the Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter. It refers to an old man who got dragged out to sea by a large fish, which the sharks destroyed before he could get it back to land.

Bull****
    Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    I've read everything he published in his lifetime, from his novels, to his journalism, and I'm telling you he doesn't use symbolism.
    Oh man, you've got me in stitches from laughing.

As much as 'Hills' and 'Old Man' have been analyzed, you're trying to tell me that Hemingway doesn't use symbolism? Are you joking?

I could reference any analysis and prove you wrong. Hell, if I wanted to I could go into the lions from 'Old Man' or the setting of 'Hills' and trounce your claim.

But it's not worth the time.

Every 9th grader has studied the symbolism in Hemingway's most popular works.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Oh man, you've got me in stitches from laughing.

As much as 'Hills' and 'Old Man' have been analyzed, you're trying to tell me that Hemingway doesn't use symbolism? Are you joking?

I could reference any analysis and prove you wrong. Hell, if I wanted to I could go into the lions from 'Old Man' or the setting of 'Hills' and trounce your claim.

But it's not worth the time.

Every 9th grader has studied the symbolism in Hemingway's most popular works.
    Hemingway never used symbolism intentionally. Just because critics found connections in a work, doesn't mean the author meant for them to connect.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Bull****
    If all that symbolism was mere accident, I'll go get a dull spoon and remove my manhood.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    If all that symbolism was mere accident, I'll go get a dull spoon and remove my manhood.
    I wouldn't go that far, but there is no doubt that you are correct about Heminway's use of symbolism. There was a lot of it, and it wasn't very subtle. I can't remember which novel it was, but in the ending the main character goes outside and it starts to rain. Someone will know that detail and tell how it relates to what had just happened.

How about the rather obvious symbolism in all the bull fighting scenes in The Sun Also Rises?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast