Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what did we read in March?

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So what did we read in March?

Pinch and a punch...

March was not a totally fruitless month for me. I read these books last month:

I Claudius by Robert Graves
    http://www.islandlabs.com/countdown-pocket-pc.htm

Excellent book. Highly recommended for anybody interested in the Roman History in general and the crookedness and deceitfulness of the human ambition in particular.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    http://www.amazon.com/Kafka-Shore-Au...054778&sr=1-10

Very complex mythopoeic construction of a novel collaborating both oriental and occidental myths and philosophy which wrap themselves round the narrative like a twin helix. His use of the occidental myths become as ostentatious to us living in the West as, I am sure, the occidental concepts of the soul would have sounded to the average Japanese readers. Could have been made less effortless and elaborate. If you want to employ the "mythical method" you've got to be as effortless and artless as Joyce, anything else and your book would turn into a lecture or a Wikipedia article. A fast-paced page-turner though (can't say the same about Joyce's book!).

The Blind Owl by Sadeq Hedayat
    http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/bashiri.../blindowl.html

If you like decadent, nightmarish and surrealistic literature, the above novella must be your cup of tea. Don't be put off by the exotic writer. The book is more exotic than you would anticipate, still it belongs up there with the dark European and American writings of Lautreamont and Poe. The whole story is a nightmare and nothing good happens at all.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    http://www.amazon.com/Road-Oprahs-Bo...7055678&sr=1-1

Style is the man! Extremely style-conscious writing, every word oozes death, desolation, destruction and despair. American 'Pilgrim's Progress.'

The Sun also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
    http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Also-Rises...7056361&sr=8-1

I am more than half way through this book and am finding it difficult to get into it. I once adored Hemingway, maybe the passion is gone! Slow and heavy going.

The 3rd month of the Year of Reading Proust sped by and I am still stuck on Within a Budding Grove. Feeling very guilty about it. Managed to read hardly fifty pages of it in March. Not nice, not very nice at all!

So what did the forum members read in March, then?
    Last edited by Kafka's Crow; 04-01-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

I *asked* for my account to be "deleted"
    Blog Entries
    I'm no big fan of I, Claudius. At first it was fun but it goes on and on and on. Relatives born, then they die. I know it's a historical novel but nothing surprises in the end (I'm not even sure if it's all facts), I was hoping something weird would happen at Caligula's reign. The title's misleading, Claudius barely participates. Enough of my complaints. Hehe!

I read Austen's last month and probably would finish this task till halfway this April.

This month I'm looking forward to Master & Margarita and North & South once I'm done with these books I'm reading.
    Last edited by Sir Bartholomew; 04-01-2008 at 09:49 AM.

the Painted Veil by Maugham

A Bend in the River - Naipaul (great book about postcoloniolism in africa)
    The Old Men and the Sea - Hemingway
    What we talk about when we talk about love - Raymond Carver (Minimalistic short stories at their finest)
    The Centaur - Updike (a modern retelling of the story of Chiron, beautiful language)
    The Fall - Camus

Blog Entries
    Finished Proof reading a book
    Started and finished proof reading another book
    gave up on Sword in the stone (crap)
    Finished Mandkind
    Dubliners
    The Tain
    The Black Cauldron
    The Castle of Lyr
    Taran Wanderer
    The High King
    Stardust
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    I mostly drifted from one unfinished book to the next. Nothing really stuck. Although I did read all of Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian War, I've been having a difficult time concentrating on any book for more than a few hours at a time. When this has happened to me in the past, I've usually broken the spell by reading short fiction like Lovecraft or Maupassant's short stories. Didn't do that this time.

I picked up in succession, Swann's Way, The Tale of Genji, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Oblomov, The Brother's Karamazov, Tacitus' Annals of Imperial Rome, Darwin's The Descent of Man, Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire, Kevin Smith's My Boring *** Life, William James' The Varieties of Religious Experience, Shakuntala and the Ring of Recollection, The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, Nichomachean Ethics, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and most recently The Faerie Queene. I have yet to finish any of them.
    Last edited by mortalterror; 04-01-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: omission

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Finished Proof reading a book
    Started and finished proof reading another book
    gave up on Sword in the stone (crap)
    Finished Mandkind
    Dubliners
    The Tain
    The Black Cauldron
    The Castle of Lyr
    Taran Wanderer
    The High King
    Stardust
    Well done, Niamh, that's wonderful. Wish I could read this much.

Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror
    I mostly drifted from one unfinished book to the next. Nothing really stuck. Although I did read all of Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian War, I've been having a difficult time concentrating on any book for more than a few hours at a time. When this has happened to me in the past, I've usually broken the spell by reading short fiction like Lovecraft or Maupassant's short stories. Didn't do that this time.

I picked up in succession, Swann's Way, The Tale of Genji, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Oblomov, The Brother's Karamazov, Tacitus' Annals of Imperial Rome, Darwin's The Descent of Man, Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire, Kevin Smith's My Boring *** Life, William James' The Varieties of Religious Experience, Shakuntala and the Ring of Recollection, The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, Nichomachean Ethics, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and most recently The Faerie Queene. I have yet to finish any of them.
    I know what you mean. I drifted away in the past but instead of leaving books unfinished, I tend to stop reading and start feeling very guilty. It is a good idea to review our performance on monthly basis in a thread like this, gives one another reason to go on. You have a nice list up there and a complete reading of all these books would make one a pretty accomplished reader.
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

Blog Entries
    Well I have been reading a lot of short stories lately. For March, I have read:

Herman Melville

The Piazza
    The Encantadas
    The Bell-Tower
    The Paradise of Bachelors and the Tartarus of Maids

Edgar Allan Poe

Ligeia
    William Wilson
    The Fall of the House of Usher
    The Cask of Amontillado
    The Masque of the Red Death
    The Imp of the Preverse
    MS. Found in a Bottle
    Hop-Fog

Chekhov

Rothchild's Fiddle
    The Man in the Case
    Gooseberries
    About Love

and I read Two Bluebirds by D.H. Lawrence

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

You guys read fast.I made it through four books this month,which is the most I've done in a single month in about a year.I almost made it through five,but halfway through The Turn of the Screw some books came in the mail and since I totally have literary ADD,I started reading them.

The Road
    As I lay Dying
    The Snows of Kilimanjaro
    Real Change

so I dub thee unforgiven ntropyincarnate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Red Badge of Courage
    The Old Man and the Sea
    The Big Over Easy: A Nursery Crime
    The White Mare

finished Persuasion
    and started The Dawn Stag, The Song of an Innocent Bystander, and The Picture of Dorian Gray
    Snow White is doing dishes again, 'cause what else can you do with seven itty bitty men?

Farmer and Legends of the Fall by Jim Harrison
    Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun
    The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway

And I started reading Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum and O Pioneers by Willa Cather.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Crow View Post
    Pinch and a punch...

Very complex mythopoeic construction of a novel collaborating both oriental and occidental myths and philosophy which wrap themselves round the narrative like a twin helix. His use of the occidental myths become as ostentatious to us living in the West as, I am sure, the occidental concepts of the soul would have sounded to the average Japanese readers. Could have been made less effortless and elaborate. If you want to employ the "mythical method" you've got to be as effortless and artless as Joyce, anything else and your book would turn into a lecture or a Wikipedia article. A fast-paced page-turner though (can't say the same about Joyce's book!).

Just picked that one up in March, but have not read it yet. Thanks for the run-down.

I finished these books in March:

Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown"
    Goethe's Letters from Italy
    Excerpts from Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography
    Michael Shaara's For Love of the Game
    Oedipus Rex (Sophocles)
    The Spanish Tragedy (Thomas Kyd)
    A Chinese book called something like "Staying Alone: the 5th year" (my translation of the title)

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Crow View Post

I pretty much completely agree with this review. He's probably not an author I'll be messing around with again for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    Herman Melville

The Piazza
    The Encantadas
    The Bell-Tower
    The Paradise of Bachelors and the Tartarus of Maids
    Goodness, all the Melville stories I haven't read yet... Are they as good as BC, BB, and Bartleby?

I read The Scarlet Letter, The House of the Seven Gables, and The Marble Faun. It was fun, but I'm glad it's over. I'm not sure how healthy a concentrated reading of Hawthorne is...

This month, I finally begin my comprehensive reading of HJ - at the moment, I'm planning to cover everything that he included in the New York Edition of his works. I'll finish Roderick Hudson this month, and at least begin The American. I'll also finish Paradise Lost within a week or so.
    I kind of like this monthly review idea. Nice thread.
    Last edited by aeroport; 04-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.

seasonably mediocre Il Penseroso's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll see what I can remember. Most of my reading has been done in short bursts while I have free time from school texts.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

The Trial by Franz Kafka

about a quarter of the Best American Essays of the Century, edited by Joyce Carol Oates

Saint Judas by James Wright (book of poems, so short)

Discrete Series and The Materials by George Oppen (both books of poetry. I wasn't really able to study these in much depth, mostly just read between classes)

"A Small, Good Thing" by Raymond Carver (short story)

and I'm about twenty pages from finishing Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground

I hope I'm not forgetting anything
    Last edited by Il Penseroso; 04-02-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    and somehow a dog
    has taken itself & its tail considerably away
    into the mountains or sea or sky, leaving
    behind: me, wag.
    - John Berryman

Blog Entries
    I finished Ken Follett: World without End, which was not quite as good as I had anticipated

and read:
    Alexander Aaronsohn: The Turks in Palestine
    Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid’s Tale

and started:
    Barrack Obama: The Audacity of Hope, which I am going to finish this weekend and makes much better reading than I had anticipated.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast