Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does orwell get his own Forum here?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Actuality will usually get the vote over related past experience, which is why Orwell resonates to a greater degree with his readers than would otherwise be the case.
    I agree . . . when it comes to your average reader. If the poll was just a bunch of random people, of course Orwell would seem more influential/relevant than Shakespeare or Dante, but then again, Dan Brown, Stephanie Meyer, and the chick who writes the 50 Shades books would seem more relevant and influential to the average reader than Orwell. I find his place at number 1 odd because it was a choice made by people who are devotees to literature, and go beyond what's just contemporarily relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I agree . . . when it comes to your average reader. If the poll was just a bunch of random people, of course Orwell would seem more influential/relevant than Shakespeare or Dante, but then again, Dan Brown, Stephanie Meyer, and the chick who writes the 50 Shades books would seem more relevant and influential to the average reader than Orwell. I find his place at number 1 odd because it was a choice made by people who are devotees to literature, and go beyond what's just contemporarily relevant.
    Important writers shape the world they live in and beyond. None of the rubbish merchants you have mentioned can be considered to have done so but Orwell's legacy is that of someone who did and continues to do so.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Important writers shape the world they live in and beyond. None of the rubbish merchants you have mentioned can be considered to have done so.
    Never said they did.

I'm not sure if you're trying to argue with me or not. I don't even know if there's anything to argue about.

Apparently, 1984 and Animal Farm have sold more copies than any two books by any other 20th century author.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

I think we get more posts on 1984 from the please-do-my-homework-for-me crowd than any other book.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    I think we get more posts on 1984 from the please-do-my-homework-for-me crowd than any other book.
    You're right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    Never said they did.

I'm not sure if you're trying to argue with me or not. I don't even know if there's anything to argue about.
    No I'm not trying to argue but genuinely trying to explain what makes Orwell a top writer on the forum.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No I'm not trying to argue but genuinely trying to explain what makes Orwell a top writer on the forum.
    Arighty.

I think it's a little strange as well, but that may be just me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I think it's strange . . . so maybe it's just the two of us.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123