View Poll Results: Gone With the Wind: Final Verdict

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

1 3.23%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

3 9.68%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals!

8 25.81%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

12 38.71%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

7 22.58%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gone With the Wind

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think not, though it was very famous here under the name "Coração Valente".
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

hmm, whats the possibility of your watching it sometime soon? great movie, and possibly verrrry relevant to some of the conversation here.

Quote Originally Posted by amalia1985 View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of "Gone With the Wind", but I couldn't help admire Scarlett's strength, and Rhett's dignity. Also, I appreciate the immediacy of Mitchell's writing, and her ability to depict the Civil War era in a very vivid manner.
    I agree that scarlett's strength is probably her best characteristic, otherwise, one wonders why the author would have had her as the main character.

Rhett's "dignity" is an interesting consideration---the tension between how one carries himself with the things one actually does that are seemingly NOT dignified, would be worth some conversation.

I also like the insight into Mitchell's writing style---"immediacy" seems very apt.

right now, scarlett and Rhett are married and in new orleans---I wonder how we get from that to "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!"

Blog Entries
    I had a look at You tube, but the film is not available. And my eyesight is not that wonderful at present, so I have to go slowly. Posts I can manage, but not a two hour film.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    I agree that scarlett's strength is probably her best characteristic, otherwise, one wonders why the author would have had her as the main character.

Rhett's "dignity" is an interesting consideration---the tension between how one carries himself with the things one actually does that are seemingly NOT dignified, would be worth some conversation.

I also like the insight into Mitchell's writing style---"immediacy" seems very apt.

right now, scarlett and Rhett are married and in new orleans---I wonder how we get from that to "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!"
    "Rhett's "dignity" is an interesting consideration---the tension between how one carries himself with the things one actually does that are seemingly NOT dignified, would be worth some conversation."

I hardly think amalia 1985 will answer but I got curious about your thoughts on Rhett.

heck danik, it almost seems unsettling to try to answer that question. by that I mean, probably like with scarlett, you kinda like the guy but you half wonder that you shouldn't.

as to liking him---he's brave, forthright, confident, full of ingenuity, and I suspect male readers of the book are appreciative of his success with women (man's sole purpose in life!).

as to wondering if we should like him---his pragmatism conflicts with most of the moral code held by the south. during the war when he was a blockade runner, he was acceptable or even praiseworthy because it benefitted the south. now that the war is over, and he refuses to continue to fight it so to speak, he mingles freely with the yankees and benefits by his relationships with them (a scallawag) and has earned, justly or not, most everyone's ire. while everyone else has remained principled and struggling economically, Rhett continues to get richer. its hard to know whether to admire him for his street smarts, or denounce him for his lack of solidarity with his fellow southerners.

on the topic of Rhett leaving scarlett, I can only think it will have something to do with her love of Ashley.

early on in Braveheart danik, William Wallace's new bride is killed by the English occupying forces. because there is no legal recourse for him to follow, he bands with his fellow scots, takes revenge on the perpetrators and kills the man responsible. the scene works because it appeals to our basic human need for justice.

id say there are similarities between that and the presence of the kkk in gone with the wind. ultimately in real life we disapprove of them because of their association with white supremacy and bigotry, but it seems to me that their motivation in the book is more along the lines of seeking justice against the depredations of an occupying force.

Quote Originally Posted by isidro View Post
    Read it twice as an adolescent. Great read!
    I think when I am through with the book im going to go back through the thread and ascertain the gender of posts like this one---and im confident most will be female.

that aside for a moment---to have read the book at all as a teenager is impressive, but then to have read it twice!

Blog Entries
    I also don´t think it easy to evaluate Rhett. I think he is Margareth Mitchel´s idea of an outsider among the more conventional men of the south. He is much more resourcefull than they are, he has less fear of the public opinion than they but he also has less scruples. But in extreme moments, he is loyal to them.
    Scarlet would be his counterpart in female version. As for why they separate, there is still much water to flow under the bridge. No spoilers.

The matter about the KKK is more sensitive. I see it as a creation of what we would call extreme right today and responsible for many crimes. But I am from another country. The only way of you knowing more about it, is by informing you. And I didn´t leave any links on purpose.

boy danik, the more I read, the less I like scarlett and maybe the more I don't wanna watch the movie!

she just recently had a baby with Rhett, and then after an interaction with Ashley, decided she wanted to be true to him, and demanded separate bedrooms, the implication being that she wasn't going to be intimate anymore with Rhett.

thinking more about Rhett as a character---I haven't seen the marvel streaming series loki but ive seen enough of the movies that he's in, and he's a huge scoundrel, much more so than Rhett (or han solo, who is also somewhat comparable to Rhett). loki should rightly be despised but he isn't. its puzzling.

let me suggest danik that a better, and more accurate way of labeling people according to their beliefs is not "right or left" but rather, "rights conferring/affirming" or "rights restricting."

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkleberry2010 View Post
    Gone With The Wind is America's number one epic novel, just as Tolstoy's War And Peace is Russia's number one epic novel. Some might argue that Moby Dick or Huckleberry Finn are more epical than Gone With The Wind. But I don't think they are. I think Gone With The Wind is at the top.
    ive been holding my tongue on war and peace, and I know there are a couple other mentions of it in subsequent posts, so i'll wait.

its been a long time since ive read the adventures of huckleberry finn but my memory of it is that it wasn't as grand in its scope as is gone with the wind.

moby dick sucks! the historical event of "the great white whale" that is told by Philbrick in in the heart of the sea: the tragedy of the whaleship Essex is incredible. if moby dick would have been written along those lines it would have been a fantastic story---but it wasn't. its not epic at all, its a "how to" on whaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Motherof8 View Post
    I first read it when I was 12 and I consider it one of the great American novels.
    its really impressive that mother read this at such a young age. wouldn't ya love to be able to ask her how she came to read it?

and ive mentioned something similar before---can you imagine a 12yr old boy reading the book?

Blog Entries
    boy danik, the more I read, the less I like scarlett and maybe the more I don't wanna watch the movie!

she just recently had a baby with Rhett, and then after an interaction with Ashley, decided she wanted to be true to him, and demanded separate bedrooms, the implication being that she wasn't going to be intimate anymore with Rhett.

thinking more about Rhett as a character---I haven't seen the marvel streaming series loki but ive seen enough of the movies that he's in, and he's a huge scoundrel, much more so than Rhett (or han solo, who is also somewhat comparable to Rhett). loki should rightly be despised but he isn't. its puzzling.

let me suggest danik that a better, and more accurate way of labeling people according to their beliefs is not "right or left" but rather, "rights conferring/affirming" or "rights restricting."
    Bounty, I remember liking Melany much more than Scarlett, when I read the novel. Scarlett is so willful. However she is the soul of the novel,
    beside her the other characters, even Rhett, pale. Rhett is without scruples. In this he is the typical business man. But I don´t remember if he deliberately hurts other characters. This is a sort of soap opera pair: the beautiful girl and the rich suitor. But it seems the initially very superficial Scarlett, metamorphoses into a strong woman. I think that is what makes her so attractive.

"Miss Melly" is a fantastic character, and it's to scarlett's discredit that she secretly resents her and doesn't really like her. I suspect the book could have been well written with her as the central character---a sort of jane eyre meets the civil war.

what's going on now is scarlett just got "caught" in Ashley's arms. he was only comforting her as a friend so it was more or less an innocent interaction, but the people who saw it weren't inclined to give scarlett the benefit of any doubt. scarlett tries to beg off going to a party for Ashley but Rhett makes her go, and melanie receives scarlett as if nothing has happened at all. although---I suspect there will have to be some dialog in the ensuing pages.

the relationship between Rhett and scarlett at present is pretty poisonous.

I know you're conversing with Danik, please forgive me for butting in.

It's ages since I've seen the film or read the book but my memory seems to suggest a series of cascading misunderstandings. Each feeling rejected and withdrawing. Each withdrawal feeding the rejection felt by the other.

Loki. He represents the trickster in all of us. We forgive him because he can't help it. IMO

Love that wording. You're right.

not all spike, in this case, the more the merrier.

that's an interesting thought about Rhett and scarlett. if there is some truth to it, then the book would be a great reading for a class in a grad school counseling program wouldn't it?

at the same time though---some of their dysfunction is independent of that. most recently Rhett was railing on scarlett about her foolish choices in life (especially as regards Ashley) and in his railing, says to scarlett that he loves/loved her. rather than melting at that, scarlett rather sees it that she's finally gained power over him that she can use to her own benefit. ironically this happens right after an aggressive make-out and subsequent love making scene that James bond would be envious of.

there have been two such scenes in the book, and I think the authors ability to write them has been fantastic. although I wonder what modern militant feminists would think of them.

I appreciate your liking that spike, thank you...