Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literature is hard

Literature is hard

Hello,

I am currently in American Literature related English class currently, and it's very hard. Literature is, for me, the most hardest subject (including history). Next year, I have to take a literature class again. I need some advices on how to pass the literature classes, because I need the English credits in order to graduate high school.

J.

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    What do you find hard about it,Jw?
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by dramasnot6 View Post
    What do you find hard about it,Jw?
    I have difficulty reading (I read about 40 words per minute), and it is really hard to keep up with reading books and stuff. And, I have an essay on Fahrenheit 451 to do soon, and I have difficulty getting ideas on how to write (I just did some prewrite and few stuff, but I am having hard time). Any advices would be very helpful.

J.

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Here are some simple steps in approaching most lit essays:
    -Read the question. What is it asking for? What are the key topic words?
    -Construct your thesis. What are you arguing for? What do you want to say in your essay? That you think the author wanted to express a particular idea or opinion by writing this book? Or maybe, you want to show how you can interpret this book from a specific perspective(eg. A feminist interepretation of the book)?
    Think of 3 main ideas that support your argument. Write down a sentence to explain each idea. Think of examples from the book that help you support your ideas, write them underneath.
    It's all about presenting your argument, and then backing it up with things you have read.
    Does that help?
    Also, take your time in reading the books. Set yourself a "chapter a night" type of policy.

P.S. Gah! I see calculus in your avatar!O_O
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Read at your own pace. Then, to gain a better understanding, read the commentary of cliffsnotes (or sparknotes).

Also, make sure to read over the summer. Sustained reading helps a lot, I think.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    Read at your own pace. Then, to gain a better understanding, read the commentary of cliffsnotes (or sparknotes).

Also, make sure to read over the summer. Sustained reading helps a lot, I think.
    No. Sparknotes and Cliffnotes tell you what to think. Kills critical thinking.

Just read and stop whining.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Read, read and read, a chapter a night is a good idea maybe a page or 2 while you are on a bus etc, and though its little help now do read over the summer anything that catches your fancy but always ask why. And cliff/ spark/york notes are not that bad although they do sort of feed you ideas but you can use them as back up, but whatever you do dont give into the temptation to only read them and not the book.
    Have a note book just for what you think and after every chapter write down a sentance to about what you think about the chapter. even if all you write is I hate this book but you have to qualify and explain why you hate the book if you do that.
    It gets you thinking, also somthing to rember with literature as with media studies their is no right answer you can say anything you like as long as you can back it up, and I found that usually the most outrageous the point the better score you get - it proves youve thought it up yourself.

And although I wouldnt normally advise it if you are really really struggling with what youve got now, go to a library and see if you can borrow an unabridged audio book of what you have to do and listen as you read, using 2 senses helps some people intake more.

Do you know what kind of learner you are?
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Thanks for the advices. From today, I'm thinking about looking over my prewrite and some helpful quotes out of the book, and begin with the first draft, and revise/edit tomorrow and type it up later on.

Blog Entries
    One of my little sisters used to be like that too (she loves reading now, but still hates writing, she loves math and physic though )... just find an author who writes on subjects that interest you and work your way from there. You're bound to be interested eventually. As for the writing an essay part- Drama's advice seems pretty helpful on that point. Find something that caught your attention in the book- writing/ typing the quotes that you like as you read them help with that- and think of why you found it interesting; was it the idea? the way the author wrote it? and go on from there. And when you're writing it, try relating writing an essay to something that you like. When you're solving for a math problem, you read it first, then think about it, do some steps and come to an answer right? With an essay, you start with an intro (explaining what you're going to talk about), develop your points in the body paragraphs and go over what you said in the conclusion. Good luck

Often it's about concentration. Read at night or at a time when it's quiet.
    TV and the like have been proven to cause low concentration so cut down a bit if that applies to you.
    Then perhaps do a little online quiz (i could quiz you a bit if you want) to check you've understood it.
    My concentration wanes too.

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar
    If you like maths and science, have you tried reading fantasy books? They could be a great way to get you reading, and then you'll probably find it easier to get into other books.
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

http://almatrafij.blogspo HerGuardian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used to be like you. However, I forced myself to read, read and read. Now, I'm reading at least 4 books a month depending on the length cause I don't have much time. After reading the literary work, look for a summary to glue the plot and characters to your head.
    MY BLOG

We won't meet again
    Wish you and him the best of everything

Reading some of Ibsen's plays

40wpm is way to slow. That literally is a page every 10 minutes. According to that, it should take you about 15 minutes or so to read the responses to this thread.

I still don't see why you took English if you can't read, but assuming you wish to get your course material done, go get yourself audio-books. Then at least you will be able to read at like 200wpm.

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    40wpm is way to slow. That literally is a page every 10 minutes. According to that, it should take you about 15 minutes or so to read the responses to this thread.

I still don't see why you took English if you can't read, but assuming you wish to get your course material done, go get yourself audio-books. Then at least you will be able to read at like 200wpm.
    Well, the reason I'm taking English course is because it's a required English credit in order to graduate high school. I don't like literature, but unfortunately it's required.......

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    This is going to be a lot, sorry! Be patient!

I think everyone should read at their own pace, no matter how slow it is. I read pretty slow and I love to read. I read slow so I can think things over and everything can sink in for me.

Ah, so you don't like history, either? I know you can't always help it, I can see you are more of a left-brained type of person, but English and History go hand in hand. They both have themes. Think about your life and other lives that you have read about. Like, have you ever felt rejected or just too different for this world? That's like the book Frankenstein. Frankenstein's monster is an outcast-nobody loves him, the poor fellow. You probably recognize this story because it's a part of Western culture. Now as to that tying in with history, wars are started much of the time because someone is rejected, and they are resentful of that, or it is the opposite-someone is rejected and war is started because they're different. Do you see what I mean?

So, English (and history!) is about humanities, and if you just stop over-thinking things so much, it will be clearer. Well, humanities subjects are never clear. Nothing is black and white. You know? It's because humans are imperfect and flawed-think about relationships and your emotions. You may not like your emotions, but you have them. That, I think, is the basis of humanities subjects. Things are never black and white. Literature is a way to express those emotions. It's all about emotions and themes.

When you read a book, think about how this relates to your life-have you been in a similar situation or heard about someone in this predicament?

It's all about the natural feelings of being a human, it's that simple. (or not simple, I guess, ha ha) no equations here, sorry. It's not that easy. (not that I'm saying math is easy! Ha!) Not everything has one straight answer like you want in your signature. ("A hint leading to the right answer") My English teacher always talks about this-you have to have a balance both numbers and humanitarian issues in your life. English is like this-there are answers, but multiple ones.

Try reading some history, too. Since literature is art, and life imitates art and art imitates life, they are very connected. But I already said that.

Also, about Sparknotes and those types of things-I use those, too, but I wouldn't completely rely on them. They do help you pick up things you missed, like plot details. No one catches everything in a book the first time around when you read it. And also people may not be accostomed to picking up themes in books, thye just need an extra helping push.

I'm sorry I didn't put this in step form, but as you see, it would have been kinda hard and I must say I am not as much of a numbers person as you are. (I do enjoy learning different subjects, though, no matter what they are) GOOD LUCK my friend and be patient, remember to think as naturally as possible-you're a human, so it should be easy! YOU CAN DO IT! Reading literature helps you understand the world around you and how people act-it's like being in a relationship without having to go through all the pain. So don't give up-be determined!

P.S. Do you like movies? Movies are just books put up on the big screen! Next time you see a movie think about the themes, too. You might want to start here, as it's probably easier to understand things because you're visually being shown stuff.

Everybody's brain thinks differently. so I can see why this is hard for you.
    Last edited by Lily Adams; 05-17-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast