Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday, Chava!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Happy Birthday, Chava!

Happy Birthday, Chava!

An interview with Chava:

1 - How did you come about this site and what makes you keep coming back?
    I was here a long time ago, once under a different screen name, which I will not reveal here. I was asked to join by a friend who can no longer be found on the litnet. I haven't been back much lately, but I was usually drawn in to read the various literary discussions.

2 - Have you visited other countries than your own and what did you like about it or not like?
    Hmm.. This is a long story. My mother is Danish, though brought up in Sweden, My dad is Norwegian, though he fled his missionary family at the age of 16 on a Russian freight ship. I was born in Holland, but then grew up in Indonesia. I've only been living in my 'home country' for the last 7 years. I've travelled to over 25 countries in my life, sometimes with family, but recently I’ve done a lot of travelling on my own, most recently to Syria and Lebanon. I'm addicted to travelling, and I love to move around with my back pack and serious tent. My next big trip will be to Sierra Leone, to work on some Malaria eradication issues.

3 - What are your favourite hobbies ?
    Dancing, playing the saxophone, painting, drawing, role-playing in the woods with an elven wig ()and my slight addiction to computer games.

4 - Do you have any pets?
    I had a cat. But I may or may not be developing an allergy. My lifestyle would be bad for a pet, since I'm hardly ever home.

5 - What makes you happy?
    Compassion

6. The last word you looked up in the dictionary?
    Mica

7. If you could take one book, music album and one video with you to a desert island, what would they be?
    Catch-22, My Absolute Jazz record, a video I hadn't seen yet, but had been planning to.

8. Which actress should play you in a movie based on your life?
    Hmm, I think we'll have to do this like the Bob Dylan film, "I'm not there", I'd ask my good friend Emil Jervin to play me. He's studying drama in New York, and frankly he's a wonderful actor. Check him out on Broadway to those of you who live closer by.

9. What makes you smile? (Activities, people, events, hobbies, projects, etc.)
    My Job with amnesty. My colleagues there are beyond amazing, and we always have a terrible amount of fun. I always leave work cheerful and feeling not just loved, but loving.

10. What were your favourite things to do the past? What about now?
    I enjoyed solitude, now I’ve become roaringly social. Within the last year I have become a far more confident and happy person. I've become a serious optimist, and a downright positive person. Time and time again people have confirmed to me how wonderful life and the planet is.

11. What activities make you lose track of time?
    Reading...

12. What makes you feel great about yourself?
    A two hour Karate session after which I can hardly drag myself to the showers.
    Taking someone’s shift after receiving a desperate call.
    Walking home at night, looking at the stars while listening to music. I always end up dancing down the pavement, and my heart feels like it could burst.

13. Who inspires you most? (Anyone you know or not. Family, friends, authors, artists, leaders, etc.) Which qualities inspire you, in each person?
    My mom, cliché as it may be. Single mom, international consultant for the World Bank, WWF, and the European commission. She has an incredible approach to people and the world around her. We were always brought up to respect others, and try to understand their cultures. She is the most loving woman, and on the days where she doesn't just yell that dinner is cancelled, she's also a wonderful cook. Oh and she has two level 70 characters in WoW, making her a pretty cool friend

14. What are you naturally good at? (Skills, abilities, gifts etc.)
    Languages, I speak several and learn them fast. I'm an excellent dancer because my body hears a beat and goes on autopilot. I'm excellent at making speeches and organising.

15. What do people typically ask you for help in?
    Hmm, Academic matters, but recently with the increase of my friend cabinet, many are also asking for help in the emotional department. Lately a little to many have been asking me out, which is getting annoying.

16. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
    Social Sciences

17. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?
    I'd regret not having travelled as much as I feel that my body needs. I'd regret being tired. I'd regret not having a tale to tell.

18. What song is in your head at the moment?
    "Just take five"

19. The last book you bought/borrowed from the library?
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

20. Which book are you reading at the moment?
    American Psycho
    Kim - Rudyard Kipling

21. The last book you finished reading?
    Roots - Alex Haley

22. Favourite food? / Comfort food?
    Middle eastern, Falafel.

23. Favourite outfit?
    My corduroys and my grassroots shirt, along with my partisan scarf.

24. What are you wearing at the moment?
    Tweed shorts that were once cut from pants, and a blue shirt bought at the salvation army.

25. Favourite poem?
    Dancing on volcanoes - Sebastian, it's a Danish poem, let me know if you want a translation, because it is a phenomenal text.

26. First novel you remember reading on your own?
    Pippi Longstocking - in Danish

27. Favourite TV shows?
    Does the news count?

28. Last food did you have?
    Carrot salad with feta and grilled mushrooms. yum

29. Last words you said out loud?
    "Good Morning Gorm" (My brother)

30. Last person you hugged/kissed?
    Hmm, I hugged Frederik yesterday, an ex gone close friend. Since he's off to the military starting Monday.

31. What do you do (for a living) to be able to keep your LitNet addiction going?
    I work in a bookstore, and I work as a campaign(ist) for Amnesty International. I am also a full time student, so getting all that to work out is a little tricky at times.

32. What are you studying? What would you like to do if you had to change your chosen career?
    I'm studying International Development/advanced politics/journalism. I can't see myself doing anything else, but it would have to be something artistic, acting, painting, or something instrumental.

33. Least favourite book/song/movie?
    I don't really spend time on thinking about things I don't like, so I honestly can't tell you.

34. The most generous thing you have done?
    A friend called me at midnight, and begged me to come visit right away at the other end of the country. I did, and I paid the train ticket, and then went home the next day. Spending half of my month’s budget on food. I'm not particular about money, I just don't have any being a student. I give over half of it away to various well meaning organisations, and I like it that way.

35. What is your most outstanding feature?
    I'm a genuinely happy person.

36. If you could change one thing about the way you look, what would that be?
    I'm quite satisfied. I haven't been able to keep up with sports for the last two years due to an injury, but starting this autumn I'll be doing Karate to regain some muscle mass.

37. Which book do you wish you had written?
    The Swedish author Jan Guillou's Arn Series.

38. What is your favourite book cover?
    I tend to fall for artistic covers with warm red colours.

39. What would your biography be titled?
    Shukran

40. What should you be doing at the moment instead of answering these questions?
    Biking to the library to hand in some books, and then heading out to get my massage for my giver-upper-back.

41. Wonderful Superman or depressing Batman?
    Wonderful Superman

42. One final word of wisdom for LitNet users?
    "It's an incredible mess, which I have in my head.
    I can't answer on standing foot.
    I think we need to go out and dance on volcanoes.
    Just go Dancing on volcanoes."

43. If you had a long day of hard work ahead of you what music would you be playing on your mp3, while working?
    Shuffle of my 3000 tracks. I love the little surprise I get every time the track changes and it keeps me going

44. What would you like to ask the person to be interviewed after you?
    What is mankind's biggest achievement, and its greatest downfall?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Very well, Chava! It was really nice getting to know more about you Hope you have a great birthday!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Happy birthday!! Your answer to question 12 made me smile!! I hope you have a great day!

Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday Some interesting answers in there
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Nice interview
    Happy birthday
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Blog Entries
    happy birthday, Chava!

Happy Birthday Chava!! Great interview.

Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great interview, Chava.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

loquacious cat mrawr
    Thanks to the lot of you. I've not been around at all much lately. Being busy with university and life. It's nice to know that some of the old friends are stil around
    Thanks for all the cake, I'm going to go and bake a banana/chocolate cake for the colleagues tomorrow.
    What on earthd o you mean Aimus, by "some interesting answers"?

Love you all, and love this place. Have fun for now, and remember to keep dancing, keep learning, and please keep loving.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry I missed your birthday Chava. I loved your interview. You are such a cheery person. And you work for Amenesty International, how cool. A fine organization. And you are one of the few girls I know who play the sax. Alto or Tenor or Soprano? Happy Birthday.

LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Thumbs up

Chava, and I hope it was a good one

Those interviews are an absolutley smashing idea and keep turning up interesting facts. For one thing, I had no idea about your Scandinavian roots.

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Ah,decent pictures of cakes!
    I would like to applaud by thy birthday,
    May thou be more intelligent,
    With solely work and no play.

Blog Entries
    That was a great interview and I want to wish you a belated Happy Birthday, Chava.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

loquacious cat mrawr
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur lim View Post
    Ah,decent pictures of cakes!
    I would like to applaud by thy birthday,
    May thou be more intelligent,
    With solely work and no play.
    Thanks, most of my intelligence and knowledge does come from play though. Life is a game, and we learn and make up the rules as we go.

Claes. I thought you were aware of my Scandinavian roots! I'm going to Sweden next week for a reading vacation!

Virgil. I play the Alto.

Thanks all.

Blog Entries
    sorry Chava!

"Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast