Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Gory details about Hungary ;)

Gory details about Hungary ;)

[summary for those who don't know: since last September I've been living in Hungary as a foreign student, and I was back just a few days ago]

So... It has been wonderful. I'm wondering why I ctaully came back... Do you remember all my fears about seeing others live while I was hiding... Well, for once I was among the ones LIVING. I went out more than ever in my life, it wasn't always that worth it but why not, after all that wasn't going to go on forever...cheap places, friendly people...it's not something I meet often here in Italy (at least in my city). I brought there plenty of books to read and study thinking I'd have so much free time... I barely read one book, I actually had a lot to study until the social life took over.

It was just so easy to make friends, of course we were a big group of foreign students (and I am aware that I would have never made friend with some of them in a normal situation, but since we were all in the same thing we became pretty close so quickly), and the Hungarians are so friendly, if they sopke English there was not the least problem to be friends with them. Or even if they didnt speak any language besides Hungarian, they were friendly anyway... In a way, thinking about it, it was a bit like a forum, many people from different places, many interesting conversations....

One regret I have is not having lernt much of the Hungarian language, even if on my last days I was almost able to have a small conversation. But as i said, I was busy with many other courses and many other things... I ended up in a group of people who mostly cared a lot about going out, and even if sometimes I just wasnt in the mood to go out late and went out also with quieter people, I sometimes wished I could spend more time with the quieter ones...hard and long to explain.

So anyway...I found myself to be sociable, to be treated by boys as they treated all the other girls, that is with interest and respect (it still strikes me...I learnt not to expect them to be bad to me anymore, but still I expect indifference from most of them, at least the "popular" kind of boys), even able to dance and to just not care...in a word, able to enjoy. And it was so important to me, to open myself up that way.

Also, there were quite a few nights in places dedicated to my favourite kind of music, which is something I've never found here. In one of those nights I met a boy, he was nice but as I'm still experimenting how to flirt and how to handle a situation like that, nothing happened and I had no way to contact him anymore. I made a couple of mistakes and I wasnt caring so much at the moment, but thinking about it it would have been nice to have a Hungarian adventure...

So I m so happy about how positive this experience was, about how much positivity it gave me, and how much self confidence... but Im a bit worried about the next months... I m still having a positive mood and attitude, but here everything feels so different...even the city feels more artificial...I used to love the city where I live, now Im so indifferent to it, I pass from the centre bcause I need to, without caring, not with pleasure like before... The people are so different, it is actually known as a narrow-minded city... The music I like is not popular at all.. Going out requires so much more effort, it needs a car (how I loved to live in the centre there and always walk everywhere...and the public transport was actually efficient)..I dont know, the whole atmosphere feels much harder, and there wont be much in my life except studying, my few friends and possibly work.

At least it might not last long as I applied for a place of "teaching assistant" for next schoolyear in England.... I dont want to be a teacher in my future career but it was a chance to try the experience of living in England for a while...It wont be the same as Hungary for many reasons, but I seem to feel so much better everytime Im out of Italy so why not...

Ok, that was it..just needed to vent my impressions about how my life "changed" (for what matters), and I hope the details are gory enough for Jay
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Glad you had a great time there Koa. Seeing the world indeed always brings new inspiration and energy. And happy for your new status as well (Life Is Just Starting)...I can feel the strong positivity and optimism in those words

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Kudos Koa for facing some of your fears!! Ya dun good!! Coming home after an enlightening trip always make one's home seem paler than before you left. This is normal. Wanting to further explore the world at the next available opportunity makes you an adventureer!! YOU GO GIRL!!! We missed ya, Welcome home, congratulations on discovering a little bit about yourself....... *doesn't even want to ask what an 'Hungarian adventure' is * (:

I gotta ask though........What is 'your' kind of music?, And why is it so hard to find?

P.S. Nah, the details are not gory enough.........
    Last edited by baddad; 02-22-2005 at 10:52 PM.

Nice to see you had a good time, and glad to have you back, Koa.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Blog Entries
    thank goodness you're back! missed ya!!! so glad you had a great time.

Thanks everyone

baddad, you gory one , my kind of music can be defined as electro-pop I think...ever heard of Depeche Mode? Or new wave was also used to define those nights...I m never sure myself cos I dont like definitions and not everything fits in one, but most of the things I like most come from the 80s and have a quite dark mood...and involve synthetizers and such. And this kind of music is still pretty popular (like the 80s in general) in Hungary and in much of the eastern Europe for what I've seen. While here it's quite forgotten, I havent known many people who know it, nevermind people who like it...Disco and such only play commercial, hip-hop and latino-american here, and I dont like them. And my city is so narrow-minded that I doubt I can find a place about something that is not popular.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose