Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson has died aged 50

Blog Entries
    I was in shock yesterday. Kept hoping some local station would play "Got to be There" but for the most part they played his better known songs over and over. I had the biggest crush on him when I was 13 or 14 and Thriller came out...
    R.I.P....

[Kvetch: a casual friend called to let me know (though I did already) and proceeded to read him the riot act through me, why do people make such a big deal of celebs dying as if they are more important souls than the average joe...GRRR! We aren't bloody cultural icons who gave the world songs of indescribable - everything. Can't believe she said that.]
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Quote Originally Posted by jersea View Post
    We all are entitled to our own opinions, but I think many, many would disagree with you about his music.
    RIP
    I know; the contrary would have make me doubt about my knowledge of mysic and my taste in general.

If we want to be precise, calling Michael Jackson a "musician" is already an overstatement. He was a good dancer but otherwise a pure product of the show-biz machine.

He did not compose anything that can be called "music", most of its products having been created by machines and other professionnals who are virtually unknown.
    ...As a moth mistakes a bulb
    for the moon, and goes to hell...

-Tom Waits-

Pedophile and man who was ashamed of his origins - rest in Inferno's 10th circle.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    i just heard about this...
    its kinda depressing...
    id say my favorite song is "thriller" because it is funny...
    http://www.fuse.tv/ this link is a music video site, and is currently paying tribute to the king of pop... check it out...

HAX Energy Soda....

you only WISH you were aweome enough to drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by lupe View Post
    He did not compose anything that can be called "music", most of its products having been created by machines and other professionnals who are virtually unknown.
    right, because nobody has ever heard of quincy jones.....

whether it is music you like or not, it is still music - such a flippant remark is simply born of snobbery

i think the fact his music has transcended the generations proves that he is one of, if not the greatest pop star of all time.. he might have peaked a long time ago but his music still sounds as good today as it did back then... his thriller and off the wall albums particularly

taste is obviously a subjective thing, but even the most obstinate of music snobs would have to concede the man was incredibly talented whether you like his music or not

i imagine itunes are quids in today
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Blog Entries
    i have an idea...
    lets all pay a tribute to michael jackson by putting a pic of him on our avatar!
    whos in?

HAX Energy Soda....

you only WISH you were aweome enough to drink it.

[QUOTE=Hank Stamper;742587] taste is obviously a subjective thing, but even the most obstinate of music snobs would have to concede the man was incredibly talented whether you like his music or not /QUOTE]

Nope.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Pedophile and man who was ashamed of his origins - rest in Inferno's 10th circle.

What happened to the whole "innocent until proven guilty"
    he was on trial in a democratic country and he was proven innocent. He should not have that weight carried around on him. He's a free man. So should his conscience be.

It really, really upsets me when i'm watching these tributes on tv and they're focusing on his "muddy past". After all that hard work and that's what people are remembering him for? People sicken me, honestly I can't come to terms with it.

Someone before said he was a "good dancer"
    He wasn't JUST a good dancer. The guy could dance. He could dance like no other.
    Whether you liked him or not it is undeniable that he was a genius. He was absolutely brilliant. This thread is about remembrance and a way to pay respects to a passing great, not how many of us can spit on his name.
    Last edited by Zee.; 06-26-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Whew, glad someone else said it so I didn't have to.

He was an incredibly talented child. It's very sad that he became so screwed up.

I'm sorry, but things he did in his life just cannot be overlooked.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I really liked his music also but "what and who he was" was a great artist AND a troubled man that had inappropriate relationships with young boys.
    Inappropriate?
    No one really knows what happened with that. But no matter what happened, he was proven innocent. I'm not saying that when you're proven innocent you're obviously innocent of the crime but in this case, we should give him the benefit of the doubt because what else do we know? we have what the media tells us.

He was proven innocent. He should be able to rest in peace without little footnotes by people saying he was a pedophile and should rot in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    Inappropriate?
    No one really knows what happened with that. But no matter what happened, he was proven innocent. I'm not saying that when you're proven innocent you're obviously innocent of the crime but in this case, we should give him the benefit of the doubt because what else do we know? we have what the media tells us.

He was proven innocent. He should be able to rest in peace without little footnotes by people saying he was a pedophile and should rot in hell.

We know that in an interview he said that he doesn't see the harm in sleeping in the same bed as young boys. Would you let your child sleep in a bed with a grown man that isn't his parent? Unless you are related that is inappropriate.

He also paid millions of dollars to make molestation charges go away AND in the civil suit that was brought against him after he was proven "innocent".
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    We know that in an interview he said that he doesn't see the harm in sleeping in the same bed as young boys. Would you let your child sleep in a bed with a grown man that isn't his parent? Unless you are related that is inappropriate.

He also paid millions of dollars to make molestation charges go away AND in the civil suit that was brought against him after he was proven "innocent".

I saw that interview and you're incorrect. He "shared" his bed with the child. He slept on the floor and the child slept in the bed. And to be honest, yeah obviously sharing a bed is a problem if one of them is a pedophile a serial killer or a rapist but i don't believe him to be any of what I have just listed.

Point is, the guy is dead. He should be remembered for his fantastic musical contribution to millions of lives.

Blog Entries
    People who are quick to judge the deceased should look in the mirror and ask themselves the question how they wish to be remembered; for their mistakes or for their accomplishments? MJ was a talented musician, yes, he actually did write and compose a lot of his own songs, believe it or not. He was a talented dancer, he was a troubled man. May he rest in peace, as he didn't have any in his life.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    I saw that interview and you're incorrect. He "shared" his bed with the child. He slept on the floor and the child slept in the bed. And to be honest, yeah obviously sharing a bed is a problem if one of them is a pedophile a serial killer or a rapist but i don't believe him to be any of what I have just listed.

Point is, the guy is dead. He should be remembered for his fantastic musical contribution to millions of lives.
    because that makes it not weird?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2279938/posts:
    Jackson: "No. But I have slept in a bed with many children. "I slept in a bed with all of them when Macauley Culkin was little: Kieran Culkin would sleep on this side, Macauley Culkin was on this side, his sisters in there...we all would just jam in the bed, you know. "We would wake up like dawn and go in the hot air balloon, you know, we had the footage. I have all that footage."

I don't want to argue about what he was, I like his music but there is no denying he was a trouble man. Just because he made great music doesn't make him a saint.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    No one said he was a saint. We all make our mistakes. The point is, he was a greater man than a lot of people - but hey, lets all focus on how he was a "troubled" man, which I think is ridiculous to be honest. He made his mistakes and he paid his dues.

Does anyone bother to mention his devotion and unwavering generosity to charity? no.
    All i've been hearing is that he's a "kiddy fiddler who can dance" how incredibly sad.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast