Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading a Shakespeare play for the first time

Blog Entries

Reading a Shakespeare play for the first time

Some years ago I saw a brilliant production of The Merchant of Venice without having read the play first and it was just magical watching the action unfold without knowing what was going to happen next.

After that I determined not to read anymore new Shakespeare plays but to try and watch them first.

Unfortunately due to a combination of my own ennui and the fact that they tend to tour the same more popular productions which I've already read this plan has not come to fruition so last week I decided I'd read something by Shakespeare that I'd not encountered before because I'm getting on now and I might die leaving some of the bard's works unread if I stick to my plans.

I chose Coriolanus and again it was brilliant to not know what was going to happen to the lead character. I didn't expect a predictable happy ending from Shakespeare [but then again you never know] and I didn't get one, but the play just kept me gripped from begining to end.

I've still got 9 plays that I havn't read or seen, but there's not alot of chance of any of them being toured in the near future so I might as well get on with reading [there's no need to spoil myself though. One can draw these pleasures out].

King John
    Henry Sixth [all 3 parts]
    Henry Eighth
    Troilus and Cassida
    Titus Andronicus
    Cymberline
    Pericles

That's what's left.

Any opinions as to what I should read next?
    What are regrets? Just lessons we haven't learned yet - Beth Orton

Titus Andronicus, definitely. It's the goriest tragedy ever- I believe the death toll is 13, plus one fly.

Troilus and Cressida is a problem play; I've seen it classified as a tragedy and as a comedy. Currently reading it- it's okay.

The character with the most lines in Cymbeline is female- Imogen. She's got about 900, which is pretty impressive. Again, you've got some cross-dressing, I think.

Blog Entries
    Thanx kelby. I don't know anything about Titus and Andronicus at all. I wonder if it's ever performed. I still think that's the ideal way to encounter a new Shakespeare play. That's what they were written for.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilgee View Post
    Thanx kelby. I don't know anything about Titus and Andronicus at all. I wonder if it's ever performed. I still think that's the ideal way to encounter a new Shakespeare play. That's what they were written for.
    There's an... interesting... film adaptation of it with Anthony Hopkins...

I have to say its probably my least favourite Shakespeare... out of the list, I'd go for Cymbeline... its rather underated in my opinion!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I have to say its probably my least favourite Shakespeare... out of the list, I'd go for Cymbeline... its rather underated in my opinion!
    I'd probably second that, love the oft quoted song:

Fear no more the heat o' th' sun
    Nor the furious winter's rages;
    Though thy worldly task hast done,
    Home art gone and ta'en thy wages.
    Golden lads and girls all must,
    As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Fear no more the frown o' th' great;
    Thou art past the tyrant's stroke.
    Care no more to clothe and eat;
    To thee the reed is as the oak.
    The sceptre, learning, physic, must
    All follow this and come to dust.

Fear no more the lightning flash,
    Nor th' all-dreaded thunder-stone;
    Fear no slander, censure rash;
    Thou hast finished joy and moan.
    All lovers young, all lovers must
    Consign to thee and come to dust.

No exorciser harm thee,
    Nor no witchcraft charm thee.
    Ghost unlaid forbear thee;
    Nothing ill come near thee.
    Quiet consummation have,
    And renowned be thy grave.

Drama Queen
    Reading Shakespeare is fine, but need to keep in mind that none of his plays were meant to be read; they were to be seen--and heard.

where madness is just the lack of pragmatism
    Blog Entries
    Hey, talking about Shakespeare I heard that there is a new production of Hamlet with Jude Law starring in it in London... has anyone seen it yet? Is it worth paying for?
    Stop asking where is God and keep asking where the hell is human!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Veva View Post
    Hey, talking about Shakespeare I heard that there is a new production of Hamlet with Jude Law starring in it in London... has anyone seen it yet? Is it worth paying for?
    According to the reviews, its not as good as the David Tennant/Patrick Stewart production they had last year, and that was quite good, but hardly earth-shattering; still, if you have the opportunity to go, there must be worse ways to spend an evening!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

According to the reviews, its not as good as the David Tennant/Patrick Stewart production they had last year, and that was quite good, but hardly earth-shattering; still, if you have the opportunity to go, there must be worse ways to spend an evening!
    I'm sure I've read or heard that the Beeb are recording the Tennant/Stewart Hamlet. I hope that's right, as someone who tried to get a ticket and couldn't. I've heard it was good. I don't think I'd want to see a Jude Law production, although I have heard that it's not bad. I wonder if the real skull will be used if the Beeb film it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7749962.stm

How can you know what Shakespeare meant? Maybe he was aiming at close readers as well as groundlings? Many critics prefer reading the plays to attending performances. So do I. It slows things down so I can understand them

Given your list of plays, it might be time to re-read some favourites

I'm reading through the complete works at the moment but skipped Henry VI and VIII, which have never appealed to many (try and dig out Coleridge's review of Henry VI!) Much of these plays were written by other hands, anyway (see the RSC Complete Shakespeare for exact details of which parts & Coleridge quotes...) I started Henry VI and gave up half way through the first scene - I now rate Coleridge as a great critic!

Jane Austen rated King John higher than Hamlet, which is an example of how great authors can be bad critics. But, anyway, it's readable, so you might want to start with that.

I'm reading Troilus and Cressida at the moment, and it's funny, interesting, problematic and quite hard going. I suggest definitely reading this before going to see a version (if anyone is courageous enough to put it on). It has a good scene where Hector is hectoring Paris and Troilus about keeping hold of Helen, and his brothers argue him into accepting the (seeming) idiocy of letting Helen stay put. Shakespeare did an amazing job of making this idiocy seem reasonable(ish) to me. Something Homer failed to do. Almost convinced me. Almost. But then I realised he's being ironic (probably). Hector just becomes idiotic by accepting the 'outraged honour' arguments of his brothers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    I'm sure I've read or heard that the Beeb are recording the Tennant/Stewart Hamlet. I hope that's right, as someone who tried to get a ticket and couldn't. I've heard it was good. I don't think I'd want to see a Jude Law production, although I have heard that it's not bad. I wonder if the real skull will be used if the Beeb film it?

Oliver Ford Davies (who played Polonius to perfection - he was honestly the strongest cast member!) has confirmed they're recording it, sometime after David Tennant's Doctor Who commitments are finished - I'll certainly be buying a copy!

Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post

The Tennant one is being aired on Christmas Day on BBC 1, after Tennant's last Doctor Who episode.

I saw Titus Andronicus done in Japanese by a Japanese group and it was really good. They used red ribbon to mimic the blood, which worked well.
    There's an ambiguous tone. There are bits which are so over the top, such as dressing up as sins and cooking heads, that they are almost farcical, but then you've got really tragic bits, such as the rape and dismemberment.
    You can possibly see sketchy bits for Othello, with the cross-racial pairing and the sadistic unrepenting villain.

My least favourite play...hmm...didn't finish Coriolanus or Troilus and Cressida or Anthony and Cleopatra. Maybe they're slow starters.

The David Tennant Hamlet is available on DVD from www.rsc.org.uk/shoponline. It is not being released until 4 January 2010 but can be pre-ordered at a reduced rate (£14.99 instead of £19.99) at the moment. My copy is on order and I shall be indulging in a DT-fest on Christmas Day. I enjoyed the production at Stratford: DT was the most manic 'mad' Hamlet I have ever seen and Patrick Stewart was downright sinister.

Blog Entries
    There's an... interesting... film adaptation of it with Anthony Hopkins...

Even the best film adaptations leave me abit cold, Lokasenna. I'm one of those cynics who can't suspend disbelief as long as there's a camera involved.

I wonder if the RSC itself might do a production. They are the only ones I know who seem to be able to make a profit no matter which play they do. It might be worth checking their listings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    How can you know what Shakespeare meant? Maybe he was aiming at close readers as well as groundlings? Many critics prefer reading the plays to attending performances. So do I. It slows things down so I can understand them
    That's an debate that can be argued successfully either way, I think. Certainly something like Hamlet is a play to be read but I've seen a production of Timon of Athens that was so brilliant it far outstripped the text.

I'm reading through the complete works at the moment but skipped Henry VI and VIII, which have never appealed to many (try and dig out Coleridge's review of Henry VI!) Much of these plays were written by other hands, anyway (see the RSC Complete Shakespeare for exact details of which parts & Coleridge quotes...) I started Henry VI and gave up half way through the first scene - I now rate Coleridge as a great critic!

I'll give that a look if I see a copy. I know Middleton's supposed to have collaborated on Timon but not much else.

I'm reading Troilus and Cressida at the moment, and it's funny, interesting, problematic and quite hard going. I suggest definitely reading this before going to see a version (if anyone is courageous enough to put it on).
    That's doubtful, isn't it? I think the only hope is that the RSC itself in Stratford might put on one of these more obscure plays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast