Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Go Vegetarian

Manawa Dharmasastra 5.48:
    “na krtva praninam himsam
    mamsamtpadyate kwacit,
    na ca pranivadhah svargyas
    tasman mamsam vivarjayet”

(Meat will not be obtained without hurting living things, and the persecution of living beings is an obstacle / abstinence in pure bliss, and therefore a person should avoid eating meat)

Manawa Dharmasastra 5.51:
    “anumanta vicasita nihanta
    krayavikrayi,
    samskarta copaharta ca
    khadakacceti ghatakah”

(He who permits the slaughter of an animal, he is cut, he who killed him, he who buy and sell, he was a cook, he is menyuguhkannya, and he ate it all should be regarded as the killers of animals)

Manawa Dharma Sastra = The Law of Manu

Forgive me, I did not mean to say that eating meat is the main cause of ozone destruction. I am just quoting the words of a brochure about a vegetarian. I just wanted to invite you for a vegetarian to love other living creatures.
    Last edited by Radha Krsna; 12-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radha Krsna View Post
    UN report:
    Consumption of meat is the main cause of global warming
    - Produces 37% of methane caused by humans (23 times more heat than CO2)
    "Livestock are one of the largest contributors to environmental problems are most serious at the moment.
    Urgent action is needed to improve this situation. "

Dr. Henning Steinfeld
    Head of Livestock Information and Policy, FAO-UN
    Though I appreciate your sharing of these statistics, even as a fellow vegetarian, I find this relatively difficult to believe that direct meat consumption leads before fossil fuel emissions. Personally, I would feel that if everyone began, at once, using only environmentally safe vehicles (biodiesel, electric, hydroelectric, etc.) and ceased use of unsafe household appliances (old refrigerators, air conditioners, dryers, lawnmowers, etc.), which seems very idealistic in itself, this would create more of a beneficial effect than everyone, at once, ceasing meat consumption; I feel that even the EPA would admit to this, as their government website prioritizes fossil fuels over livestock consumption, undoubtedly, in terms of realistic as well as attainable results. Bluntly stating that "consumption of meat is the main cause of global warming" sounds absurd; this sudden spike in climate change seems more in synchrony with industrial development, otherwise even cavemen feasting upon their latest kills would have encountered global warming in addition.
    Last edited by mono; 12-01-2009 at 02:20 AM.

In point of fact this is really a very deep thought. I always subscribe to this idea for today we are growing ruthless and think self-centeredly, completely unthinking. We through our unethical approach to nature are completely destroying our natural habitats, and in doing so we are not only kind of taking away their rights to live, but we are totally deserting this planet that will end up in turning it into a completely lifeless planet soon. We busy ourselves with destructive plans, unawares; the once beautiful and bounteous planet is gradually getting devastated with all its organisms menaced. Now the time has ripened for all of us to rethink and take to vegetarianism and that is what is likely to redeem us

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Wasn't Hitler a vegetarian?
    docendo discimus

Forgive me, I do not mean to say that eating meat is the main cause of ozone destruction. I am just quoting the words of a brochure about a vegetarian. I just wanted to invite you for a vegetarian to love other living creatures.

Maudgalyayana

The power of inner strength from the Maudgalyayana is among the greatest of all the disciples of Buddha Sakyamuni. At the time of the Buddha lived, never happened thus: In the place of origin of the Buddha, as the royal Sakya Nation Jiabiluo be attacked by the King Lazuli of the Kingdom Qiaoshanmiluo. Buddha three times to try to prevent the tragedy that would occur with the way sitting in the middle of the road that would pass the king Lazuli's army. Though King Lazuli had three times to reverse the direction troops movements, but the hatred of revenge was not yet extinguished. The Buddha realized the certainty of retribution, all things there must be a solution. Seteleh fulfill his love to save the country, the Buddha had to accept the reality that will happen.

However, Maudgalyayana still intend to prevent this tragedy by using his power. After receiving the news that the kingdom was surrounded by Jiabiluo King Lazuli army, so he was facing a teacher's emotional, "O Buddha, Jiabiluo Kingdom immediately be attacked by enemy forces, we must do something to help them." Buddha's disciples consider for a moment, then with the voice of love to give this explanation, "Maudgalyayana, Sankya nations have done bad karma, this is a collective retribution, you can not represent them. While they do not repent, still continues to do as good as the heart, not improve, then like a house that had rotted, will eventually fall, too. "After hearing from the teacher, Maudgalyayana can understand this fact. But because he has the greatest magic powers, he still wanted to try to save the Nation Sankya’s karma with his power.

The King Lazuli's army as the sea of ants surrounded Jiabiluo Kingdom tight, no one could exit and enter.

Maudgalyayana with his power to fly through the air and into the city. Among residents who Sankya Nation chaotic, Maudgalyayana chose 500 healthy people stronger, then put them in a bowl hermit, and then flew out of town. With delight, he came to the Buddha who was suffering from headaches for three days. He opened the lid bowls, and stunned, because the people he had saved in a bowl has turned into a hermit blood fluid. He could not understand why so, and begged the discourse of the Buddha.

The Buddha also delivered, "Long ago, in a kingdom that I live in, there is a large lake. To celebrate the feast on the big day, the people there to dig channels to drain the lake water, and ate all the fish that live there. Among them there is a giant fish. There is a child who does not like to eat fish, with amazement took a twig and then knocked on the fish's head three times. This giant fish is current king Lazuli, army troops are herd the fish in the lake. The child was me. My headache is three days knocked retribution fish head three times. As for my people ate the fish lake in the past, finally had to accept the tragedy of revenge in this period. "
    Last edited by Radha Krsna; 12-01-2009 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Headed
    Wasn't Hitler a vegetarian?
    During the latter period of his life, yes, though, not as a well-disciplined vegetarian, he indulged in consuming meat from time to time. I hardly know what this should contribute to the discussion nonetheless, since Kubla Khan consumed meat in immense amounts, and both Stalin and Mussolini both proved themselves easily as omnivores. I have seen no connection between vegetarianism and mentally unstable chancellorships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radha Krsna
    Forgive me, I do not mean to say that eating meat is the main cause of ozone destruction. I am just quoting the words of a brochure about a vegetarian. I just wanted to invite you for a vegetarian to love other living creatures.
    No worries, my friend, as I suppose I may have read the message wrongfully, as the reading of an opinion and the quotation of a brochure seem two different things; I only disagreed with such a generalized statement made by the brochure, preaching more for its cause than for the benefit of reducing global warming, and I admit this even as another vegetarian. The gaseous methane excretions of several mammals, particularly those of cows, have proven as harmful to the ozone (O3) layer, thus contributing to global warming, yet I only had a disagreement with them as the most threatening to climate change. Thank you for clarifying, and I intended no offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radha Krsna
    Maudgalyayana

The power of inner strength from the Maudgalyayana is among the greatest of all the disciples of Buddha Sakyamuni. At the time of the Buddha lived, never happened thus: In the place of origin of the Buddha, as the royal Sakya Nation Jiabiluo be attacked by the King Lazuli of the Kingdom Qiaoshanmiluo. Buddha three times to try to prevent the tragedy that would occur with the way sitting in the middle of the road that would pass the king Lazuli's army. Though King Lazuli had three times to reverse the direction troops movements, but the hatred of revenge was not yet extinguished. The Buddha realized the certainty of retribution, all things there must be a solution. Seteleh fulfill his love to save the country, the Buddha had to accept the reality that will happen.

However, Maudgalyayana still intend to prevent this tragedy by using his power. After receiving the news that the kingdom was surrounded by Jiabiluo King Lazuli army, so he was facing a teacher's emotional, "O Buddha, Jiabiluo Kingdom immediately be attacked by enemy forces, we must do something to help them." Buddha's disciples consider for a moment, then with the voice of love to give this explanation, "Maudgalyayana, Sankya nations have done bad karma, this is a collective retribution, you can not represent them. While they do not repent, still continues to do as good as the heart, not improve, then like a house that had rotted, will eventually fall, too. "After hearing from the teacher, Maudgalyayana can understand this fact. But because he has the greatest magic powers, he still wanted to try to save the Nation Sankya’s karma with his power.

The King Lazuli's army as the sea of ants surrounded Jiabiluo Kingdom tight, no one could exit and enter.

Maudgalyayana with his power to fly through the air and into the city. Among residents who Sankya Nation chaotic, Maudgalyayana chose 500 healthy people stronger, then put them in a bowl hermit, and then flew out of town. With delight, he came to the Buddha who was suffering from headaches for three days. He opened the lid bowls, and stunned, because the people he had saved in a bowl has turned into a hermit blood fluid. He could not understand why so, and begged the discourse of the Buddha.

The Buddha also delivered, "Long ago, in a kingdom that I live in, there is a large lake. To celebrate the feast on the big day, the people there to dig channels to drain the lake water, and ate all the fish that live there. Among them there is a giant fish. There is a child who does not like to eat fish, with amazement took a twig and then knocked on the fish's head three times. This giant fish is current king Lazuli, army troops are herd the fish in the lake. The child was me. My headache is three days knocked retribution fish head three times. As for my people ate the fish lake in the past, finally had to accept the tragedy of revenge in this period. "
    Thank you for the wonderful narrative, Radha Krsna - much appreciated; it functions very well as an allegory, in addition, to such a philosophical lifestyle.

Blog Entries
    i ate a big mac before. was yummy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    During the latter period of his life, yes, though, not as a well-disciplined vegetarian, he indulged in consuming meat from time to time. I hardly know what this should contribute to the discussion nonetheless, since Kubla Khan consumed meat in immense amounts, and both Stalin and Mussolini both proved themselves easily as omnivores. I have seen no connection between vegetarianism and mentally unstable chancellorships.
    Maybe the lack of protein or having a balanced diet contributed to his being a bit, how shall we say, cracked?

After all, we are a predator, not eating meat is going against natural laws surely?
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    I had roast beef & horse radish, was equally yummy. I wonder if they put real 'horse' into horse radish...
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Headed View Post
    Maybe the lack of protein or having a balanced diet contributed to his being a bit, how shall we say, cracked?

After all, we are a predator, not eating meat is going against natural laws surely?
    We are not exactly a predator. We have a very long colon while predators like tigers have very short colons... for example...

Quote Originally Posted by limajean
    When a human eats beef, it begins to decompose before it leaves the body.

A pleasant thought?

Blog Entries
    I had a vegetarian quiche for lunch today. I try to not eat meat too often, but I'm not a vegetarian

Livin' in Slow Motion Hurricane's Avatar
    When a human eats beef, it begins to decompose before it leaves the body.

A pleasant thought?
    Eh, it all gets hit by the digestive juices pretty quickly. Looking at any aspect of the digestive system should prepare you to be disgusted. Maybe one of the more science-type people could back me up or call me out on this, but I always thought humans had omnivore characteristics with regards to teeth/digestive system.

Frankly, meat is delicious. Eaten in the proper amount and manner, it is nutritious. Thus, I will eat it.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    I'm not sure that qualifies as food, never mind meat...

I think food is one of the most important things in my life; I can't just shovel 'fuel' into myself, I have to savour the tastes and textures (or not, depending on the cook!). While I can, and frequently do, enjoy a vegitarian dish, the removal of meat does massively reduce one's choice and experience of good food - I really don't think I could manage without meat! Last time I was home, Sunday dinner consisted of a lovel, tender leg of lamb cooked with apricots and redcurrants... oh heavens, I can still taste it now...

Oh, and as for Hitler being a vegitarian, I really don't think we can blame his diet for his behaviour - I know plenty of veggies, and not one of them is a mass-murdering nutter with a god-complex! Though, so come quite close...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    We are not exactly a predator. We have a very long colon while predators like tigers have very short colons... for example...
    Ermm...Tiger colons? We are omnivores but still predators.

So, why do we have (a) stereoscopic vision, (b) advanced communication skills, (c) innate hunting instincts (d) ability to digest meat?

I know, I know ... *puts hand up* ... because we are predators.
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    Human beings are certainly predators, as are almost all primates.

Anyway, this doesn't really matter since being able to eat meat really isn't an ethical argument in support of consuming meat.

After all, I can digest human babies too, but that doesn't make it acceptable behavior .

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast