Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to know God other than from mythologies?

How to know God other than from mythologies?

I long ago wanted to raise this issue but did not do so thinking that it may not interest the posters of this forum; however I could not dissuade myself any longer thinking that doubts cropping in the mind must be poured out that can find illumination. For asking here is a great boon people with different genres of thoughts, interests and disciplines with great philosophical exposition. What really I always have been inquisitive about is whether or not God or Gods have shapes, sizes, and colors the way our mythological description expound. In Hinduism for instance there are Gods of different figures, Shiva as a naked figured smeared with ash, wrapped with a tiger skin with a large following of ghosts, elves and the like. Vishnu luxuriating in great ease and comfort with Laxmi, and the four-headed Brahma, the creator of this universe sitting on a lotus. The elephant trunked Ganesha, Kali with a garland threaded with a string of heads around her neck. Of course other scriptures too have different gods figuring in a multitude of shapes, sizes, colors and postures. Even in the Bible God is imagined in terms of a certain form. I simply wonder. I in fact subscribe to the idea of God, for I cannot think that life is a physical thing and it ends up with death. I do not think that there was no purpose behind creation. I simply cannot rest with the idea that there was just chaos and out of them the world and we emerged. May be what creation is and how it happened is something inconceivable to us. Maybe this is a question that cannot be answered within the dimensions we try to understand natural phenomena.

The heart of the question I want answered is whether God has form and feelings we mortals do have and whether our prayers, praises, criticisms make any difference to God. Most of us in Hinduism have come to have the idea of God thru images we garnered from mythologies. And if we cannot subscribe to mythological evidences of God what will we be left to in point of fact?

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
    if we cannot subscribe to mythological evidences of God what will we be left to in point of fact?
    Faith. I think. I'm a bit of a general theist, so I tend to see most religions cultural expressions of yearning and humility towards either an inner or outer spiritual sense. The images expressed by the variety of world religions offer us unique insights into the specific cultures that created them AND a (yes) universal sense of spirituality and reverence that seems to work its way across those cultures.

Is there a true representation of God? I'm not dogmatic enough to say that there is. But, for me at least, any honest drawing, poem, or song that depicts a humility before God is a true depiction of faith. And such depictions, I admire a great deal.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Drama Queen
    In the Old Testament of the Bible, God is viewed as "personal"; that is, as a being who speaks and acts. God had actual conversations with certain characters, such as Adam, Noah, Job, Abraham, Moses. They spoke to God and God spoke to them in actual language. But God is never described in the Old Testament in physical terms. Now it does state in the Book of Genesis that God walked in the garden of Eden in the cool of the day. But a physical description of God is never given. God also makes the statement that he (David) is a man after my own heart, implying that God possesses or feels emotions. There is an incident in the book of Exodus in the Old Testament where Moses asks God to allow Moses to see him, and God more or less tells Moses that if he saw his face (God's) then Moses would be consumed; that is, literally burnt up. So God allows Moses to view his back for an instant.

There are a number of incidents in the Old Testament where certain characters pray to and praise God, and plead with him, and God responds to them. There is even an incident where Abraham comes close to criticising God to his "face" and causes God to change his "mind."

Hello! There is a verse in the Holly Quraan saying"nothing is like Him"

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is tempting, I think, to anthropomorphise God, simply because its easier to relate to an avatar of ourselves. As a student of ancient northern heathenism, the physical descriptions of the old gods are of great interest. Odin, for example, is always descibed as an old, beared man in a grey cloak, with one eye and a broad-brimmed grey hat. Most interestingly, in terms of Norse heathenism, most of the prominent deities seem to possess some form of injury - Odin is missing an eye, Tyr is missing his right hand, Thor has a stone embedded in his temple, Loki's mouth is sown together... and so forth. I fully intend to produce an article on divine ailments sometime, as I think its a really interesting topic, but rather neglected academically...

In terms of my personal beliefs, I'm something between a pantheist and a deist, so I find it very hard to think of god in physical terms... I like to embrace the idea that I cannot 'understand' God.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

The heart of the question I want answered is whether God has form and feelings we mortals do have and whether our prayers, praises, criticisms make any difference to God. Most of us in Hinduism have come to have the idea of God thru images we garnered from mythologies. And if we cannot subscribe to mythological evidences of God what will we be left to in point of fact?

I once watched an interview of a prominent physicist (whose name I've completely forgotten, unfortunately) who said something very intriguing about God. He said something along the lines of how God created things in the universe, which in turn create other things and so on. When something is destroyed it becomes something else. In other words, God created a universe that is self-sustaining and which essentially does God's work.

Based on that way of looking at the nature of God, my answer to your question is; If there is in fact a God as we understand it, then the closest thing to him/her/it would be those things that create and destroy life. Stars give life to organisms on planets but can also go supernova and destroy that very same life. Perhaps the early religions of the world, which worshiped the Sun were on to something?

Caddy smells like trees caddy_caddy's Avatar
    How to know God other than from mythologies?

The heart of the question I want answered is whether God has form and feelings we mortals do have and whether our prayers, praises, criticisms make any difference to God؟
    He has attributes through them we can know Him .
    99 attributes , try to create your own image through them , as far as ur imagination can take you!

AL-QUDDUS --->The Holy
    AL-MALIK --->The Sovereign Lord
    AR-RAHIM --->The Mercifull
    AR-RAHMAN --->The Beneficent
    ALLAH --->The Name Of God
    AL-JABBAR --->The Compeller
    AL-AZIZ --->The Mighty
    AL-MUHAYMIN --->The Protector
    AL-MU'MIN --->The Guardian Of Faith
    AS-SALAM --->The Source Of Peace
    AL-GHAFFAR --->The Forgiver
    AL-MUSAWWIR --->The Fashioner
    AL-BARI --->The Evolver
    AL-KHALIQ --->The Creator
    AL-MUTAKABBIR --->The Majestic
    AL-ALIM --->The All Knowning
    AL-FATTAH --->The Opner
    AR-RAZZAQ --->The Provider
    AL-WAHHAB --->The Bestover
    AL-QAHHAR --->The Subduer
    AL-MUIZZ --->The Honourer
    AR-RAFI --->The Exalter
    AL-KHAFIZ --->The Abaser
    AL-BASIT --->The Expender
    AL-QABIZ --->The Constrictor
    AL-ADL --->The Just
    AL-HAKAM --->The Judge
    AL-BASIR --->The All Seeing
    AS-SAMI --->The All Hearing
    AL-MUZILL --->The Dishonourer
    AL-GHAFUR --->The All-Forgiving
    AL-AZIM --->The Great One
    AL-HALIM --->The Forbearing One
    AL-KHABIR --->The Aware
    AL-LATIF --->The Subtle One
    AL-MUQIT --->The Maintainer
    AL-HAFIZ --->The Preserver
    AL-KABIR --->The Most Great
    AL-ALI --->The Most High
    ASH-SHAKUR --->The Appreciative
    AL-MUJIB --->The Responsive
    AR-RAQIB --->The Watchfull
    AL-KARIM --->The Generous One
    AL-JALIL --->The Sublime One
    AL-HASEEB --->The Reckoner
    AL-BA'ITH --->The Resurrector
    AL-MAJEED --->The Most Glorious One
    AL-WADUD --->The Loving
    AL-HAKEEM --->The Wise
    AL-WASI --->The All-Embracing
    AL-MATEEN --->The Firm One
    AL-QAWI --->The Most Strong
    AL-WAKIL --->The Trustee
    AL-HAQQ --->The Truth
    ASH-SHAHEED --->The Witness
    AL-MU'ID --->The Restorer
    AL-MUBDI --->The Originator
    AL-MUHSI --->The Reckoner
    AL-HAMEED --->The Praiseworthy
    AL-WALI --->The Protecting Friend
    AL-WAJID --->The Finder
    AL-QAYYUM --->The Self-subsisting
    AL-HAYEE --->The Alive
    AL-MUMIT --->The Creator Of Death
    AL-MUHYI --->The Giver Of Life
    AL-QADIR --->The Able
    AS-SAMAD --->The Eternal
    AL-AHAD --->The One
    AL-WAHID --->The Unique
    AL-MAJID --->The Noble
    AL-AAKHIR --->The Last
    AL-AWWAL --->The First
    AL-MU'AKHKHIR --->The Delayer
    AL-MUQADDIM --->The Expediter
    AL-MUQTADIR --->The Powerful
    AL-BARR --->The Source Of All Goodness
    AL-MUTA'ALI --->The Most Exalted
    AL-WALI --->The Governor
    AL-BATIN --->The Hiddeen
    AZ-ZAHIR --->The Manifest
    MALIK-UL-MULK --->The Eternal Owner Of Sovereignty
    AR-RAOOF --->The Compassionate
    AL-'AFUW --->The Pardoner
    AL-MUNTAQIM --->The Avenger
    AT-TAWWAB --->The Acceptor Of Repentance
    AL-MUGHNI --->The Enricher
    AL-GHANI --->The Self-Sufficient
    AL-JAAMAY --->The Gatherer
    AL-MUQSIT --->The Equitable
    THUL-JALAL-E-WAL-IKRAM --->The Lord Of Majesty and Bounty
    AL-HAADI --->The Guide
    AN-NOOR --->The Light
    AN-NAAFAY --->The Propitious
    AD-DAARR --->The Distresser
    AL-MAANAY --->The Preventer
    AS-SABOOR --->The Patient
    AR-RASHEED --->The Guide To The Right Path
    AL-WARIS --->The Supreme Inheritor
    AL-BAQI --->The Everlasting
    AL-BADEI --->The Incomparable

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
    Faith. I think. I'm a bit of a general theist, so I tend to see most religions cultural expressions of yearning and humility towards either an inner or outer spiritual sense. The images expressed by the variety of world religions offer us unique insights into the specific cultures that created them AND a (yes) universal sense of spirituality and reverence that seems to work its way across those cultures.

Is there a true representation of God? I'm not dogmatic enough to say that there is. But, for me at least, any honest drawing, poem, or song that depicts a humility before God is a true depiction of faith. And such depictions, I admire a great deal.
    I agree with this greatly. I too am not dogmatic enough to say that the ontological question of God is answerable, much less by me and my own beliefs. But I do think that the aesthetic high feeling of "God" is important, whether if it is "real" or not is not to my concern.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Blog Entries
    Everything Caddy said is very good...
    I have recently learned a good prayer that Sufis pray:

Toward the One
    the Perfection of Love Harmony, and Beauty
    the Only Being
    United with all
    the Illuminated Souls Who form the Embodiment
    of the Master
    the Spirit of Guidance

God is the source of the universe and of reality. We know that all things have a source. If we can come to the observation that all things have a source, then we can also say the universe and reality have a source, though at present, undefinable.

If we cannot say that all things have a source - by observing that a tree has a source, that a river has a source, that all life on earth has its source in the Sun, and that deducing that everything in the universe, including everything on earth and in the cosmos, has a source, and that ultimately the universe has one source since it is made out of one essence; then we cannot say that the universe has one source, and reality has one source. But if we can say that they do; then we can say that there is one source.

Now, science has recently come to the conclusion that at the most basic level we can find, there is no "fixed" reality. There is no essential substance. In fact there is no "most basic level" because we cannot find the smallest particle of matter, nor can we fully understand the ways of movement of any of the tiniest particles.

Some scientists have also come to a paradigm of the universe which states that everything is a fractal, infinitely repeating, of the same image. So when you examine the tiniest particle, it looks like a tiniest portion of the whole pattern, but as you look at it closer, it never gives up its complexity, and reveals that it itself contains the whole pattern, exactly like a fractal, with no end. So all the "parts" in the whole have the same pattern as the whole.

I don't make any conclusions from this, at least not here. But let it be known that it is not merely scientists in the past who have believed in something divine, nor is it merely naiive or uncritical scientists who have. This is merely a strawman view perpetrated by very limited viewed philosophers, who cannot perhaps, grasp life in a greater, organic perspective. In truth, scientists have never stopped uncovering mysteries which increased the mystery, complexity, and beauty of truth and our best understanding of reality.

People in a skeptical mode are incredulous of anyone who says that they have seen God. There is no external endeavor necessary to know one's self - that is, in the true sense, to know one's greater Self - the Source of one's being. The Self is nowhere external and nothing is needed except an exchange and union between the limited mind with the unlimited Mind. In other words, all the layers of illusion must be bridged. It is possible to know God because God is within, God is the source of Being.

Drama Queen
    I made this statement on another post, but it applies to this as well: Forget all the arguments about the attributes of God, or even the arguments for or against the existence of God. The fact is that God exists as long as humans exist. God is an integral part of humanity. It doesn't matter what God's attrtbutes are, or what he or she or it is like. As long as humans exist, God will exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermac View Post
    The fact is that God exists as long as humans exist. God is an integral part of humanity. It doesn't matter what God's attrtbutes are, or what he or she or it is like. As long as humans exist, God will exist.
    Are you sure you know what a fact is?

Regards,

Istvan
    "It is time we realized that to presume knowledge where one has only pious hope is a species of evil."
    — Sam Harris

Blog Entries
    If you believe in god, god is probably everything you want him to be. Personally, I do not believe in god as an entity. However, when I was a child, and a christian, I had a dream that God was a very large, comfortable looking woman with thick glasses. I ran toward her and gave her an exuberant hug.

I believe that god is the ultimate imaginary friend, and that He/She will provide you with what you need, when you need it. If you need a comfortable person, perhaps he will look like a grandmother, if you need a powerful person, perhaps he will look like a king.

As to whether our prayers, praise, and criticism have any meaning to god, the answer to that lies in what you believe. Do you believe in hugely powerful god who regards us humans like so many ants? If so, to you, he might not care for prayers. But if god is a comfortable entity, maybe he does.

The answer to the last question is this... if you cannot subscribe to the evidence of god in mythology, you will have what I spoke of before... a god who changes his shape to fit your needs. And that might give you more comfort than the mythological god. Either that, or you may feel like there is no such thing as the god whose mythologies you don't subscribe to, and become an atheist, agnostic, or choose to believe in another deity.

Drama Queen
    Yes, babb, I knw what a fact is. Why did you ask such an question? Did it make it feel good to ask the question? What was the reason for you to ask that question?

Quote Originally Posted by Jermac View Post
    Yes, babb, I knw what a fact is. Why did you ask such an question? Did it make it feel good to ask the question? What was the reason for you to ask that question?
    Well, because the notion of a FACT involves some sort of evidence, or at least the possibility of objective verification. Your certainty that "God" (whatever it is) exists is based on your reluctance to doubt the claim, not because there's any rational reason to believe it.

Are we supposed to accept it as a fact merely because you say it is?

Regards,

Istvan
    "It is time we realized that to presume knowledge where one has only pious hope is a species of evil."
    — Sam Harris

Blog Entries
    Well, her claim that God exists as long as humanity does sort of makes sense to me; God exists as a story. Like, in the same way that language exists. We create it.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast