Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Short Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Drkshadow03 View Post
    Which is what everyone has been saying to Myrna the entire time.

So anyone talk about some Tim Pratt?
    Then everyone has completely missed my point. The idea here,apparently, is go along with everyone else, don't have any independent opinions? Do not think for yourself seems to be the big idea here. And logical fallacies win the day?
    The answers you get from literature depend upon the questions you pose.
    - Margaret Atwood

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrna22 View Post
    It does baffle me here that so many posters either have no interest in or no knowledge of anything written since the early 1900's. Why is that?

Flannery O'Conner, Truman Capote, & JD Salinger also wrote great short stories. But the premier American short story writer of the late 20th century is Raymond Carver.
    I've read only "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've returned to a couple of the stories once or twice, but I would pick a Donald Barthelme collection if I had to go with a late 20th century American author.

Which is what everyone has been saying to Myrna the entire time.

So anyone talk about some Tim Pratt?
    I clicked on the link and read a few paragraphs. Not my cup of tea ... and not because it's genre fiction, but because of the prose. Thanks for introducing me to the site though. I may take a look at some of the other fiction.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Then everyone has completely missed my point. The idea here,apparently, is go along with everyone else, don't have any independent opinions? Do not think for yourself seems to be the big idea here. And logical fallacies win the day?
    naw, you're missing some good posts where people share differing opinions, things they've read that others haven't, so on.

Plus, in all honesty, you've stated time and again about new/recent writers who are not in the "old classics who everybody pipes on about" category, yet you have not shard these writers names, or books they've written, with us at all

Quote Originally Posted by keilj View Post
    naw, you're missing some good posts where people share differing opinions, things they've read that others haven't, so on.

Plus, in all honesty, you've stated time and again about new/recent writers who are not in the "old classics who everybody pipes on about" category, yet you have not shard these writers names, or books they've written, with us at all
    This thread is about short stories and I posted a long list of stories and authors.

No the whole point here is don't disagree, don't have an independent opinion. Just like all of you who can only talk about 'classics' because you are afraid of anything you haven't been told what to think about.
    The answers you get from literature depend upon the questions you pose.
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    This thread is about short stories and I posted a long list of stories and authors.

No the whole point here is don't disagree, don't have an independent opinion. Just like all of you who can only talk about 'classics' because you are afraid of anything you haven't been told what to think about.
    My.. my... let's rein in the antagonism a little bit.

Plenty of people are quite fond of Proulx (although I think she's grossly over-rated), O'Connor (a fantastic writer, "A Good Man is Hard" to Find is one of my favourite short stories), and other contemporary writers. (O'Connor isn't quite contemporary though)

I don't perceive all too much of a bias against the contemporary in most threads. If you go to the older great short stories thread, many post-WW2 stories are proposed.

Although, you'll find most of the people with an interest in world literature tend to circulate in the poetry section.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

well speaking from personal experience - in high school and college, I actually got totally driven away from nearly all books becasue of hot air instructors and hot air student who liked to pontificate on about "great old books", many of which I thought were not very good books. Because of these pretentious blowhards, I had to essentially go back and learn from scratch what I liked in a book, what kind of writers I liked, so on.

But there is also the problem of finding the lesser known authors. I could go broke buying and sampling newer fiction, much of which is rubbish, to find the hidden gems. This probably has as much to do with the modern paradigm of publishing for profit as it does with my lack or skill at finding the unknowns or lesser knows

Then there is also the topic of Americans (and perhaps other nationalities as well) and how they do fall into the "drone" mindset of being fed their opinions. But I think if anything, the folks on this site are at least well-read, and are perhaps better suited to combat this kind of "mindless regurgitation" than most other forums I have been on

Quote Originally Posted by NickAdams View Post

I clicked on the link and read a few paragraphs. Not my cup of tea ... and not because it's genre fiction, but because of the prose. Thanks for introducing me to the site though. I may take a look at some of the other fiction.
    Heh. Tim Pratt is one of my favorite short fiction writers. Still haven't tried any of his novels, though.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    My.. my... let's rein in the antagonism a little bit.

Plenty of people are quite fond of Proulx (although I think she's grossly over-rated), O'Connor (a fantastic writer, "A Good Man is Hard" to Find is one of my favourite short stories), and other contemporary writers. (O'Connor isn't quite contemporary though)

I don't perceive all too much of a bias against the contemporary in most threads. If you go to the older great short stories thread, many post-WW2 stories are proposed.

Although, you'll find most of the people with an interest in world literature tend to circulate in the poetry section.
    Quote Originally Posted by keilj View Post
    well speaking from personal experience - in high school and college, I actually got totally driven away from nearly all books becasue of hot air instructors and hot air student who liked to pontificate on about "great old books", many of which I thought were not very good books. Because of these pretentious blowhards, I had to essentially go back and learn from scratch what I liked in a book, what kind of writers I liked, so on.

But there is also the problem of finding the lesser known authors. I could go broke buying and sampling newer fiction, much of which is rubbish, to find the hidden gems. This probably has as much to do with the modern paradigm of publishing for profit as it does with my lack or skill at finding the unknowns or lesser knows

Then there is also the topic of Americans (and perhaps other nationalities as well) and how they do fall into the "drone" mindset of being fed their opinions. But I think if anything, the folks on this site are at least well-read, and are perhaps better suited to combat this kind of "mindless regurgitation" than most other forums I have been on
    I personally didn't read anything in High School, but I didn't attend either.
    But debate has gotten to the Freudian limit:

Freudian - "You have unresolved issues with your parents."
    Subject - "No I don't."
    Freudian - "You do, but you are in denial and that means that issues are worst than I thought."
    Subject - "You're right."
    Freudian - "That's what I wanted to hear."

We are at the point where someone can't genuinely like "classics" without being thrown in to the catergory. But thinking for others is not far from not thinking for yourself and that's what happens when one generalizes others (not directed at the posters quoted).

Even Carver is a safe choice and when I say James Joyce is a fine short story writer, I mean James Joyce; however, if I say the same about Carver, I mean the Carver-Lish team.

Heh. Tim Pratt is one of my favorite short fiction writers. Still haven't tried any of his novels, though.

You can still enjoy him.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234