Thread: Wedding Ring !

Wedding Ring !

"Please take off all your jewellery. "

Nurse instructed my mum before exposing her to the X-ray machine.

My mum took off....three rings from her hands including her wedding ring. I witnessed an uncomfortable expression on my mum's face while she took off her rings.

I have already talked so much about how my mum cherished her wedding ring and now it has become one of my all time favourite topics.

My mum was married to my father for 38 years before he passed away.

All that time she never took off her wedding ring. I mean it is part of her daily routine to take it off during cooking or laundry or other manual work but than she never forget to wore it again.

Whether it was superstition or just her way of reminding herself of staying loyal to my father...who spent most of his after marriage life abroad....it had a deep impact on me.

But at the same time...I felt that it means nothing...wearing the wedding ring whole day long...all your life....just to prove loyalty towards your partner used to seems so childish....hmmm....

They are just the symbol of wows we had taken before public...

On my wedding....to the beloved husband....un-intentionaly....the wows were still made....

The love was and still is undying...and....when he placed a gold band on my finger...I too vowed never to remove it...hmmm...

It was a symbol of our commitment and loyalty to each other....hmm...

However...I have developed an irritable skin condition which has got underneath my gold ring caused my skin to crack open....become itchy and really quite painful.

And thus....I had to remove my wedding ring.

For the first time in almost two and half years I have no ring on my wedding finger...hmm...

I knew...I might have to take it off....cause applying cream on the allergy was making the skin more irritate and allergic to the ring.

Regrettably....I took it off....

Telling myself constantly that it's only a gold band and even though is a symbol of my marriage...does not mean that my marriage is over.

And once the skin condition cleared up I will place it back on my finger...besides it is just the vows we had taken in front of public...nothing more....right?

I know many women....who don't wear their wedding ring or think about it as our family have...

...so...hmm....what I want YOU ALL to tell me is....that it really doesn't matter...

And that it's just a piece of jewellery....right???? hmmm...

hmmm..... it means what you and your partner in life want it to mean.

If you both agree your word and commitment to each other are worth more than any item of jewellery bought in a store then the ring is a symbol, nothing more.

But if you wear it to show the world your commitment then perhaps losing it, or being unable to wear it can cause you to feel less of a wife in their eyes.

At the end of the day your shared belief in each other is more important than any social mores. But I'm guessing that you are still not convinced you are doing no real wrong in discarding it for the time being.

Blog Entries
    Thinking...did a piece of jewelry make you fall in love with your husband? Is it not just a symbol to others that you have someone else? If in your heart and soul you really love your man, you need nothing more then that. What you have is much more valuable then any gold band...gold bands can be replaced, true love can not.

Your mum is old school perhaps? You are not….
    Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.
    Ancient Egyptian Inner Temples

Dear Hillwaker

thanks for coming. I am honored.

hmm...well I do sometimes try to find ways to get rid of these wows but as I am a bit superstitious always get afraid of my bolder steps.

Anwyways...I have long ago put back my wedding ring...so now everything ois ok...

thanks for your time.

kittypaws..thank you so much for such nice comment.

yes....our love for our beloved does not require any reminder from worldly things...

thanks alot...I am honored.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    I am honored.
    Likewise.

You say you are superstitious - but I am sure nothing outside your control can take away the love you feel for someone, so if you were to lose the ring by accident that would still not change what is inside your heart.

And a little boldness never did anyone any harm. Sometimes it does you good to explore your courage and perhaps surprise yourself.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

lovingly in his eyes, snugly in his arms, safely in his heart...
    Hello Thinking. This little story of mine might be of interest to you.

On my honeymoon, my husband and I were making our way to breakfast, when I realised that my left hand felt a little funny. I felt for my engagement ring with my thumb - and it wasn't there!

To my extreme horror, only my wedding band was on my finger. Immediately I went into panic mode, started to hyerventilate.

My husband took me hands into his, and very calmly said, "Babe, are we both safe and with eachother?" After I nodded my head in agreement, he said "then that's all that matters. That ring is just a piece of jewelry, but I am right here for you, and my love isn't going anywhere"

That calmed me right down, but I was still hating myself for what I did. I frantically searched my whole body, I scanned the floor, and THank God, I found the ring in my handbag! It had fallen off my finger when I stuck my hand in to get the camera.

That incident taught me two lesson:
    1. It's the love and companionship of your spouse that matters, not a ring. Rings can always be replaced and replicated.

and

2, I had to be more careful with my ring! LOL...

I hope that this thing that happened to me will help you in your dilemma!
    Last edited by Tournesol; 06-02-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    "My warm hands have made the paper limp,
    So that its feel reminds me of slept-in sheets: comfortable and safe"

"All these things I say... I say them because I want you to know, I don't ever want to regret afterwards that I didn't say enough, I would rather say too much." ~ Samuel Selvon

hmm...dear hillwaker...

thank you and I really appreciate what you said to make me feel comfortable...

Yes...boldness sometimes might turn into blessing in disguise...I have another story to share about this boldness of mine and will some day share all with you...

I am happy that I joined this forum cause I couldn't find such marvelous readers and writers together at one platform.

who may ask for more....hmm

thanks for coming back.

Dear Tournesol...I smiled at your story...good husband always sympathise wife...

well....how wonderful it seems that when we write something of our expirience we receive people with same sort of expiriences or thoughts...

I am honored that you came and write about your engagement ring....

thank you so much.