Thread: Sinclair Lewis

Sinclair Lewis

Why is it... WHY IS IT, that the man's memory has been forgotten? He was, in his time, the highest selling author and the first American Nobel Prize winner for Literature. His books are funny, imaginative, academic, romantic and most of all- alive. His characters, to me, are the most vividly recognizable of any author save the Karamazovs. He was a, if not THE, representative voice of his time; so why is he so little esteemed? Even on this site with the subgroup of authors...He's missing. What are your thoughts, world-wide web of my point/gripe? Honestly, I think it's due impart to the mighty Fitzgerald, who's been crowned. I wonder about this a lot so a discussion might benefit me.

Cool Sinclair Lewis is not read so much today because his ....

characters and the millieu they existed in have somewhat disappeared. In his two great novels, Babbitt (sp?) and Main Street, Lewis wrote a diatribe against the mediocre business man and small town life. These are biting satires, but the words and situations that they are ensconced in are not as significant as they once were. Boosters and Chataqua aren't understood by readers today or probably by academia. The poet, Chum Frinkley I think was his name, was a biting parody of the mundame poet Edgar Guest. Edgar Guest disappeared with Dorothy Parker who said:
    "I'd rather flunk my Wasserman test,
    than read a poem by Eddie Guest."

In Main Street, small town USA is taken to task by the female protaganist, Carol Kennicut (sp?). When Caro l is aked her true feelings about Gopher Prarie,Minnesota, she replies, "I think its an ash heap." Small towns have largely been merged into suburbs of larger cities, and the retailers who formed the population have been taken over by Walmarts. In any event, no one characterizes them as ash heaps.

I have read most of Lewis' novels, but the two mentioned above are his major works. A few others, such as Elmer Gantry, are worth reading. This one was made into a major motion picture in the 60s starring Burt Lancaster. I like Lewis, but he wont gain in popularity until he is read by academia and taught in our universities which I don't think is likely. Don't blame his unpopular status on Fitzgerald. One doesn't have to choose between two writers. If anyone is to blame, it is academia for not introducing students to Lewis.

Main Street is just as much about anti-intellectualism as the under-development of early prairie towns. That anti-intellectualism is by no means extinct. I read Main Street recently and it only inflamed my long standing gripe because the ideas in it are still so applicable.

I just picked up Babbit and Main Street so I'll see if I enjoy him or not

I never learned about Sinclair Lewis in college..instead I learned about authors far less applicable to my own life. I went to a smaller midwestern college not so different than the college that Carol goes to as described in ''Main Street.'' I was an English minor. I read Main Street after I was done with college. I think Sinclair Lewis and ''Main Street'' should be mentioned at midwestern colleges, in particular(students at an university in, say, California could relate less, I would think). I didn't think academia taught Sinclair Lewis. It's too bad.

The posters above have mentioned some good reasons, but I personally love this man's novels and stories too. His style is so fun and he really gives you a feel for the times his stories take place in, there is atmosphere. And he is downright hilarious sometimes.

Lewis at Zenith is a book of his collected novels. He was an astute feminist who believed in the value of the human being. His type is not read much anymore since literature has all but morphed into NY Times Best Seller drival but if you get the opportunity to "find" him by all means sample his wares - they are marvelous.