Thread: Proles and No Telescreens

Proles and No Telescreens

So I think that the government thinks the Proles don't need Telescreens because they are innocent! Most people would think that because they make up 85% of the population that the thought police would want to see what they are doing and hear what they are saying. But the Proles are kind-of controlled by their own "stupidness" or ignorance! They also are given alcohol because the government thinks if you keep them drunk they are easier to control....so, they don't really need to have telescreens!!

I believe that too. I think that the proles are too ignorant to rebel. They are to preoccupied with trivial matters like beer and pots and pans.

The proles are too caught up in their own ignorance and their " pots ands pans". Telescreens are useless when they control themselves. Also, beer helps.

The fact that nearly 70% of Americans didn't bother to vote in my county (NY), speaks volumes to one of the important forecasts Orwell has for us.

Simply, put our own apathy ultimately will keep us under control.

It's a facet of Orwellian literature that I'm most thankful for: Orwell trashes the dictator for sure, but he also puts the ultimate responsibility on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
    The fact that nearly 70% of Americans didn't bother to vote in my county (NY), speaks volumes to one of the important forecasts Orwell has for us.

Simply, put our own apathy ultimately will keep us under control.

It's a facet of Orwellian literature that I'm most thankful for: Orwell trashes the dictator for sure, but he also puts the ultimate responsibility on us.
    That's my job.

I agree. I'm a lot like Orwell myself, in a way. A sense of humor, but a fiercely argumentative side, too.

I do think telescreens were not necessary for the reasons expressed above. The only way that the tyrannical society that Winston lived in would be overthrown would be by the rising of the proles, but they only care about things that are good for their immediate existence, like beer. If only, if only...
    SHOOT ALL THE BLUEJAYS YOU WANT, IF YOU CAN HIT 'EM, BUT REMEMBER IT'S A SIN TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

Don't let movies spoil the books.

I completely agree with your statement. The proles not having telescreens is logical though because if someone always has alcohol and is constantly drunk they can't rebel or act out. The proles are controlled because they are also brainwashed.

It's not just the alcohol either, they are kept purposely uneducated and secluded because how interesting would it be if the government had nobody to laugh at? Given, there isn't much "bad" for them to do to require the surveillance being telescreens. Orwell does a good job in showing how the proles are the only hope left. Uneducated, yes. But drained of all emotion like the outer party? No

This is a great point to be made. This relates greatly to our society today. We are so blinded by our own selves that we choose to not pay attention to the problems that consume our world. Our society today is very self based. We are more worried about taking selfies than paying attention to the problems around us. As a nation we choose to over look and forget about the problems because we believe they "do not" pertain to us. As a society we need to be educated in the world around us and realize that they problems effect us everyday. We are the future, the world is in our hands.