A complete surprise! At first glance I thought that I would dislike this novel. I had to read and write an essay on this novel for my senior English class. Initially, I found the melodrama of constant preternatural comparisons and sophisticated vernacular bewildering; I always kept a dictionary near by. But I began to love it. Challenge yourself to view the ubiquitous romantic imagery as the mesmerizing meloldy and the "constant dictionary referring" words as the captivating lyrics. It is a storytelling type song that grows on you. Hawthrone's writting style is unique like Shakespeare. Sometimes it might take readers to groove to the rhthym of his literary music. Try to overcome the intimidating obstacles and read the entire book. It is worth it.<br><br>I love the boisterous character Pearl. She is so comical and fun. In hostile situations she remains resilient against the taunting towns children; throwing rocks at them! Everyone she encounters describe her as preternatural. She personifies the dicotomy of cruelty and relentless beauty of nature. Always innocent in her impulses; she questions everything her curiosty trespasses. Lawless and playful like the mysterious yet welcoming forest she frequently wonders. The characters, including Hester are quite fearful to reckon with this being of the wilderness. She is not the secret but the enigmatic truth that the town can not solve. <br><br>Hands down, this one of my favourite novels. To anyone who passionately hates this book, it is still reverent and relevant all aspects of classic literature. It accomplishes the goal of literature, to open our eyes. I encourage people to utilize it as a teaching tool for autonomy and transcedence from our past. It teaches us to be resilient against the rigid societal conventions that ostercize or condemn people who live on the fringes of our perspection. Question those who dare not dream but hold us down with their righteous arrogance of what is "right" for a few. This work vindicates us to dream of our own utopia and to pursue the ardous fight to get there someday.<br>