Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to describe a romantic person

Smile How to describe a romantic person

can you tell a romantic person when you see one?

and
    is there a word an opposite of ''romantic'' person?

non-romantic sounds rather heavy on the lip so there has got to be another word for it.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    can you tell a romantic person when you see one?

and

non-romantic sounds rather heavy on the lip so there has got to be another word for it.
    I doubt that the word romantic coincides with the way a person looks, it's more about their attitude than appearance.
    The opposite of romantic is unromantic.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    You can pick a few clues from their behavior towards the supposedly loved one. For example, sheer droolers would always shoot their hands wildly in order to desperately reach for the partner's genitalia, often without aiming correctly because droolers aren't precisely rational or accurate (though they do have a clear target within range). On the other hand, a romantic person may well want the same as a drooler, but after a romantic ritual that involves mild caresses, rescuing the damsel in distress who is trapped in a gloomy tower, giving oneself away uninterestedly, giving away small items that have no economic value but which hold a meaning between both participants of the relationship (even when all this seems irrelevant to external observers, whose opinion actually matters not), promoting the other person to the position of most valuable possession... and so on. It's all in the behavior.

Then again, there are pretty talented thespians out there, plotting harmful deceits in order to appear genuine, just for the sake of their own benefit (whatever such benefit may be). They usually succeed in their plots; they are good at their trade. However, there are those who are good at being deceived.

Other synonyms or closely-related words for unromantic include insensitive, unsentimental, unloving, cold-hearted, unaffectionate, and unimpassioned (analyze them and you will see that they are all related and all make sense).

I'm a romantic fellow quite skilled in proving it, so I know what I'm talking about

Invisible
    Sober?

(It's not (mainly) intended to be a joke, but I'm not sure which word is more suitable - mundane, pedestrian, austere?)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus View Post
    You can pick a few clues from their behavior towards the supposedly loved one. For example, sheer droolers would always shoot their hands wildly in order to desperately reach for the partner's genitalia, often without aiming correctly because droolers aren't precisely rational or accurate (though they do have a clear target within range). On the other hand, a romantic person may well want the same as a drooler, but after a romantic ritual that involves mild caresses, rescuing the damsel in distress who is trapped in a gloomy tower, giving oneself away uninterestedly, giving away small items that have no economic value but which hold a meaning between both participants of the relationship (even when all this seems irrelevant to external observers, whose opinion actually matters not), promoting the other person to the position of most valuable possession... and so on. It's all in the behavior.

Then again, there are pretty talented thespians out there, plotting harmful deceits in order to appear genuine, just for the sake of their own benefit (whatever such benefit may be). They usually succeed in their plots; they are good at their trade. However, there are those who are good at being deceived.

Other synonyms or closely-related words for unromantic include insensitive, unsentimental, unloving, cold-hearted, unaffectionate, and unimpassioned (analyze them and you will see that they are all related and all make sense).

I'm a romantic fellow quite skilled in proving it, so I know what I'm talking about
    I see haha..so a skilled one means one is not born a romantic but learns to be one?!!
    Hummm sounds rather tricky and so how do you prove you are a good romantic as opposed to a failed one??
    what does a romantic do to prove his (or her) title and again I guess a romantic is mainly masculin and not feminin right??
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Hummm sounds rather tricky and so how do you prove you are a good romantic as opposed to a failed one??

Because a failed romantic knows when to give up. A full throttled romantic will watch over them as a ghost, when the time comes.
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

Quote Originally Posted by loe View Post
    Sober?

(It's not (mainly) intended to be a joke, but I'm not sure which word is more suitable - mundane, pedestrian, austere?)
    sober is not a bad idea actually haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolte View Post
    Because a failed romantic knows when to give up. A full throttled romantic will watch over them as a ghost, when the time comes.
    haha I am liking a ''full throttled romantic''.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries

haha I am liking a ''full throttled romantic''.

I wanna make a joke but I can't, so I'll leave a winky face instead
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

I know a guy who is highly romantic and is a devoted worshiper of Keats. He often remarks that he doesn't care if he dies at the age of 25. He is 22 now. I can not tell by his looks that he is a romantic but it is so apparent in his talks.

Are you sure that "unromantic" is synonymous with unloving, insensitive, cold-hearted etc.? I can't really see the link because I think I'm a pretty unromantic person yet I'm sure I'm not insensitive or unloving. Is there an explanation?
    I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~ William Blake

Captivity is consciousness,
    So's liberty. ~ Emily Dickinson

Blog Entries
    I see haha..so a skilled one means one is not born a romantic but learns to be one?!!
    Yep, it's a life process!

As I said above, it's all in the behavior, which includes awareness of what the target of your romanticism likes and dislikes. If you pay little or no attention to your partner's needs and interests, then you won't be good at all no matter how romantic you may seem to yourself or to other people outside the relationship. It's the effect you exert on your soulmate what really counts

what does a romantic do to prove his (or her) title?
    By simply being oneself while taking interest in the soulmate's interests.

I guess a romantic is mainly masculine and not feminine right??
    Anyone can learn anything, regardless of gender.

Quote Originally Posted by aliengirl View Post
    I know a guy who is highly romantic and is a devoted worshiper of Keats. He often remarks that he doesn't care if he dies at the age of 25. He is 22 now. I can not tell by his looks that he is a romantic but it is so apparent in his talks.
    Because it has nothing to do with looks. It's all in the way one behaves towards the person one is interested in

Quote Originally Posted by aliengirl View Post
    Are you sure that "unromantic" is synonymous with unloving, insensitive, cold-hearted etc.? I can't really see the link because I think I'm a pretty unromantic person yet I'm sure I'm not insensitive or unloving. Is there an explanation?
    The explanation is that even within the realm of synonyms there are different degrees of similitude. In other words, synonyms can't always mean exactly the same. I think most of these words would be better defined as words related to the concept of unromantic, without necessarily conveying and equal meaning. For example, I would say that an unloving person is incapable of feeling love, whereas an unromantic person is incapable of openly expressing love, which doesn't mean incapability to feel it. Thus, both roads lead to love, although one seems rougher than the other. I would say you are the sort of person who feels, but who doesn't find it easy to express it. To sum up, you would be an unromantic loving person. Everything depends on semantic implications

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolte View Post
    I like this. Its how I feel myself right now in relation to a girl I love. Its how I have felt myself to be in relation to all the girls I've loved. I feel like a ghost. I avoid them completely, take ridiculous measures to avoid going near them, and spend my time beating myself up and pining for them. It feels like I'm a ghost. And to them that's all I really am. It sounds pathetic and maybe it is. I think its romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy88 View Post
    I like this. Its how I feel myself right now in relation to a girl I love. Its how I have felt myself to be in relation to all the girls I've loved. I feel like a ghost. I avoid them completely, take ridiculous measures to avoid going near them, and spend my time beating myself up and pining for them. It feels like I'm a ghost. And to them that's all I really am. It sounds pathetic and maybe it is. I think its romantic.
    could you love someone without knowing them properly?
    I was thinking more along of infatuation rather thenfeelings because in the other thread we have discussed the idea of looks which alwaus come first or at leat in the few minute of seeing the person right??

It is interesting however that you call this situation you are in as romantic.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Darcy88; 08-29-2012 at 10:19 PM.

The explanation is that even within the realm of synonyms there are different degrees of similitude. In other words, synonyms can't always mean exactly the same. I think most of these words would be better defined as words related to the concept of unromantic, without necessarily conveying and equal meaning. For example, I would say that an unloving person is incapable of feeling love, whereas an unromantic person is incapable of openly expressing love, which doesn't mean incapability to feel it. Thus, both roads lead to love, although one seems rougher than the other. I would say you are the sort of person who feels, but who doesn't find it easy to express it. To sum up, you would be an unromantic loving person. Everything depends on semantic implications
    Hmmm...I see. Semantic implications play a great role in such cases. The term unromantic loving defines me quite aptly. I take my time, warming up slowly and that's not without a reason. I can't go back and forget people I really love. So it's better for me to be cautious.

BTW, if by romantic we mean someone influenced by Romanticism then I'm such a person. Though my heart does not leap up when I behold a rainbow in the sky, I'd run a few blocks to some open field or park to watch it as it fades away. I often stood in the great arched windows of my college, looking at the mighty river flowing in its various moods all the year round. My friends often joked about how fascinated I was with the majestic view. May be I'm a romantic in my own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy88 View Post
    I call my situation romantic because I made a promise to always love her - no matter what. And now, having not seen her for over two months, having done everything possible to avoid seeing her, I still feel the same way I felt the last time we embraced. I think that's romantic. I'm planning on travelling far away and staying far away and I know because of past experience that I will love her and pray for her even then, even at that distance. When you love someone nothing can separate you from that person. Even if I would be most happy to see her meet someone else and fall in love with someone else, someone better for her than me, I still say I love her. And that is what I want. I want her to find someone better than me, someone more deserving. And she will. I'm sure she will and I take great solace in this fact. Doesn't mean I will stop caring. Even if I stop thinking about her and I often do...I distract myself....nothing will ever extricate her from that place she has carved for herself inside my heart. Its irreversible. Once that bond is forged it cannot be undone.
    Such devoted love is rare today. I really admire your ability to go on loving even when there is no hope or at least no personal benefit. Perhaps Hafiz meant this kind of love when he wrote -
    "Even after all this time
    The sun never says to the earth,
    "You owe Me."
    Look what happens with
    A love like that,
    It lights the whole sky.
    "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast