Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the longest story you have ever read

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    I might be reading it at the moment, "The Count of Monte Cristo", 1462 pages. It's a real page turner, a very easy & exciting read. So I think I'll make it
    Dumas can be very long, but he goes down very easily.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

One story, or one book?

If story, probably these:

Remembrance of Things Past (all 7)
    Winston Churchill's World War II series. I got bored after the third book though.
    The Worst Journey in the World

Chinese Martial Arts Novels, and Classical Chinese Fiction. Jin Yong novels when translated would hit a couple thousand pages, but they have yet to be translated. Jin Ping Mei and Hong Lou Meng are also quite, quite long.

As for who wrote the longest drawn out series of books - the fantasy genre seems to be the great winner. I only didn't list them as I hadn't finished. Proust, taken as a single work, would be a great contender, except that I have not finished. In terms of Length I suspect it would equal Jin Yong's Condor Trilogy, which I read to help me studying written Chinese.

War and Peace by Tolstoy and Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. Truly great novels!

I would have to say the longest story I have read goes to The Wheel of Time series. I believe there are 14 books in total and they are all over 700-800 pages in length. I've read the first 11 books and will complete the last 3 in time.

As a side note, it seems to be popular to bash this series of books, but for sheer epic scope, enjoyment, awesome world, characters and magic system, I'd put it up against any other fantasy series I have read. Comparing it to A Song of Ice and Fire, which I love, if I was stuck on a desert island I would prefer the wheel series because I feel that overall it is a more exciting and interesting story.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    One that I recently finished; August 1914-The Red Wheel Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Executioner, protect me Kyriakos's Avatar
    For me it probably was The brothers Karamazov. I read it only once, back when i was half the age i now am...(now i am 34).

I don't read long works by now. Mostly just short stories, since i mostly write short stories myself anyway (around 10 pages).
    βῆ δ᾿ ἀκέων παρὰ θῖνα πολυφλοίσϐοιο θαλάσσης·
    (he walked silently on the edge of the loudly heard wave-breaking sea)
    Iliad A:34
    Read articles in my Patreon
    Watch videos in my Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Dumas can be very long, but he goes down very easily.
    Like custard; but you quickly get tired of custard. It's coming out of my nostrils, even though I'm trying to cram it down, so I've given up around page 600.

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    Like custard; but you quickly get tired of custard. It's coming out of my nostrils, even though I'm trying to cram it down, so I've given up around page 600.
    custard? for me it is like trying to climb a mountain you get to see the peak but never actually get to touch it it is so high. still you are doing well around 600.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Currently I am reading Les Miserables in English; how long did this masterpiece take for you to finish it?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowqueen View Post
    War and Peace by Tolstoy and Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. Truly great novels!
    Currently I am reading Les Miserables in English; how long did this masterpiece take for you to finish it?

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    Artamene, Or Cyrus the Great, at a brief 2.1 million words. And then perhaps Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time at a mere 1.27 million.

Joseph McElroy's Women and Men is certainly the longest novel I have read, that is always considered only a single volume. 850,000 words or so.

Perhaps someday Arno Schmidt's Zettel's Traum will be translated to English, as it is considered the longest single volume novel ever written.

Blog Entries
    I just finished Les Miserables. It took me over 3 months to finish. It's not that much of a story, but Hugo could get extremely preachy and professorial as he filled in the historical gaps and expounded on one subject or another. It's the longest thing I've ever read.
    No damn cat, no damn cradle - Newt Honniker

Series: the wheel of time

Single volume: war and peace (though I had to check the page counts of a storm of swords and the uncut version of the Stand)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Dream of the Red Chamber, in English, in five volumes, which totaled about 2500 pages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast