Thread: 1984 is an eye opener

Exclamation 1984 is an eye opener

In my opinion, 19184 should definitely be read in highschools everywhere, because its when we stop reading it that we start taking footsteps towards the dark future portrayed by George Orwell. One aspect of this book that I liked was the idea of the telescreens. I liked it because I realized how close we are as a society to that. Unless your in the woods, everywhere you go you are being watched by cameras, whether you know it or not. More importantly, whether you like it or not. 1984 is an eye opener.

I am actually reading 1984 right now in my high school English class. I agree with the idea of the telescreens. We are being watched everywhere and it's really scary knowing that almost everything you do is being caught on camera. Orwell was almost exactly correct about how our society was going to be like. It's really cool but kind of crazy.

I couldn't agree more with this! As a high school student I am more than happy to be introduced to Orwell's works, and they are indeed eye-opening. I truly believe that every high school should have their students read these books to prevent this future from ever happening. The way to prevent this is to read the books and in that stay educated to avoid this future. I have noticed that as time progresses, society especially in government and the way we are monitored has become more and more relevant. With technology everywhere that can easily be used to monitor a person, we really need to be observant in that 1984 doesn't end up becoming our present. As time progresses society has also become more and more Orwellian and I truly hope we don't continue down this path into a dark future like 1984...

I agree that the book 1984 is an eye opener. Without reading this book I wouldn't have noticed that we practically are monitored as much as the people in Oceania were. I now believe that our society could turn into the dark and doomed society that Orwell portrayed in this book!

I read it every year. I find more and more to scare me as I watch our government become less and less democratic and more and more totoletatian. I am frightened by Orwell's ability to see how the future is coming to fruition. The cameras, lack of privacy, and the ridiculous and extensive legislation of our lives is becoming nearly intolerable.

It is an interesting and prophetic book. Orwell wasn't a great writer, but 1984 and his essays can teach you a lot. Of the ones I've read, my favorite is "Politics and the English language." If you haven't taken a look at it, go do so now!