Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post postmodernism or metamodernism

Quote Originally Posted by islandclimber View Post
    I've always been rather easily seduced by various developments on Saussure's semiotic theory. Derrida and Foucault and Barthes and Butler mostly. The relationship between sign-signifier-signified has always fascinated me.
    I learned more about how language works from this guide than I ever did from the Saussurean semiotic schools.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    OMG.
    Oh, and incidentally, Tristam Shandy, published way back in 1767, meets all the criteria for a post-modern work. So much for high-tech devices, existentialism, and various influences of the "modern" world.
    That is one of the strongest pieces of evidence for time travel that we have.

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusSandman View Post
    Yeah, I think we're mostly in agreement here on the divide between human experience and scientific reality. One thing to understand about that point is that our psyches developed to survive and reproduce, so most of what we think/feel is bound up in that. Understanding how particles behave never meant squat to either evolutionary paradigm, so such things are quite alien to our intuitions.

Regarding scientific determinism and QM, it would really depend on how one is referring to determinism. As many around here know, I'm a proponent of the Many Worlds interpretation of QM, which basically just takes the mathematical models as real; doing this resolves the apparent paradoxes of QM and reconciles it with classic physics (excepting gravity). If you take the SWE as real then there is, in an objective, "underlying reality" sense, determinism. However, we don't experience this determinism because we are quantum systems ourselves. If you take the Schrodinger's Cat example, according to the SWE there is a world where the cat is dead and one where it's alive; one version of yourself experiences one world, another version the other. Subjectively, you've only experienced one or other, even if, objectively, you've split into two yous and experienced both. How precisely we can know which world we'll end up in is what HUP models, and that is entirely probabilistic, so not deterministic from our perspective.
    I think certain PM theorists were more so attacking the idea that HUP and QM were probabilistic and therefore undermined the determinism of other Scientific Research and Theories. I don't agree with this, but that is what I seemed to get from the readings I did in the area. Myself, I'm also a proponent of the Many Worlds interpretation of QM. I've always been fascinated Schrodinger's Cat, but more so Max Tegmark's Quantum Suicide thought experiments and the idea of quantum immortality that Everett seemed to so firmly believe. I like Tegmark's rejection of death as being a binary quantum event but more so a progressive process/decay.

No Country for Old Men is implicitly about the same theme, and it and A Serious Man make for good "companions." I wrote a lengthy review for both that dealt with their themes of uncertainty if you'd care to read them.
    I'd be happy to read them. Do you have a link?

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusSandman View Post
    I learned more about how language works from this guide than I ever did from the Saussurean semiotic schools.
    I don't doubt it. 'tis more so for me, enjoyment of the thought experiments I find later developments of Saussurean semiotics engender. They seem quite pleasurable. Or maybe that's masochism speaking.

I think certain PM theorists were more so attacking the idea that HUP and QM were probabilistic and therefore undermined the determinism of other Scientific Research and Theories. I don't agree with this, but that is what I seemed to get from the readings I did in the area. Myself, I'm also a proponent of the Many Worlds interpretation of QM. I've always been fascinated Schrodinger's Cat, but more so Max Tegmark's Quantum Suicide thought experiments and the idea of quantum immortality that Everett seemed to so firmly believe. I like Tegmark's rejection of death as being a binary quantum event but more so a progressive process/decay.
    PM is correct about QM being probabilistic if it's from OUR perspective (which is what HUP is; a model of our perspective), but to suggest all of QM is probabilistic because of our perspective is where the debate lies. If you're a proponent of MW then you think like I do that, objectively, QM is deterministic but subjectively indeterministic. I, too, agree with Tegmark about death not being a binary event, so as to nullify the Quantum Immortality thought experiment.

I don't doubt it. 'tis more so for me, enjoyment of the thought experiments I find later developments of Saussurean semiotics engender. They seem quite pleasurable. Or maybe that's masochism speaking.
    Yeah, I do very much get this. i find a lot of philosophy fun to think about more so than genuinely enlightening or even correct in their musings about how reality works.

I'd be happy to read them. Do you have a link?
    Looks like the original site (Cinelogue) is down (I was merely a contributor and the admins seemingly abandoned it). I'll copy/paste them here:
    Quote Originally Posted by "No Country for Old Men" by Jonathan Henderson
    At the end of Hamlet, everybody dies. It’s the classic “kill-em’ all” tragedy. In the hands of the great English playwright, however, the finale’s massacre becomes a mordant, almost morbidly ironic commentary about the unavoidability of death and the inability of man to effect (perhaps even to affect) any kind of certain outcome. The indecisive, inactive, introverted Hamlet and the decisive, active, and extroverted Laertes cancel each other out. Death is equally doled out to the “behind-the-scenes” masterminding of King Claudius and the ignorant, innocent, and loving mother, Gertrud. Earlier, it comes equally to the scheming Palonius, as well as to his innocent daughter, Ophelia. Perhaps it’s safe to say that The Coen Brothers would disagree with Shakespeare’s mortal egalitarianism, but they certainly seem to agree with the dark irony, as well as the striking combination of absurd humor in the face of existential crisis and angst.

By 2007, The Coens had become perhaps the most lauded American filmmakers of the last 20 years. But if they had attained critical and commercial success, they hadn’t quite reached that Oscar pinnacle with a film that was universally hailed as a masterpiece. No Country for Old Men is that masterpiece. The film was adapted from the Cormac McCarthy novel, and it stars Tommy Lee Jones as Ed Tom Bell, an old-time sheriff in the ancient land of 1980s West Texas, who finds himself lost in a frightening, brave new world of drug-runners and mass-murderers. Josh Brolin is Llewelyn Moss, a retired Vietnam veteran who lives with his wife, Carla Jean (Kelly Macdonald), in a trailer. One day, Moss stumbles on to the aftermath of a drug deal gone wrong. After finding and taking the money (symbolically situated beneath a decaying tree; the ultimate “Forbidden Fruit”), Moss quickly finds himself pursued by the psychotic Anton Chigurh (Javier Barden), who had been hired to track him down. After Chigurh kills his benefactors, Carson Wells (Woody Harrelson) is hired to track the both of them down. What ensues is a nigh-metaphysical cat-and-mouse game between all the parties involved.

Of all The Coen’s films, I find myself at a loss as to where to begin (much less end) with lauding this one. For starters, the dynamic duo has done a phenomenal job rendering the West Texas landscape, rhythm, and atmosphere. There’s an eerie stillness, calmness, and ease that pervades the film even at its most action-oriented moments. The cinematography from the Coen’s longtime collaborator Roger Deakins is impeccable, capable of rendering both the painterly beauty as well as the starkness of the settings. Languid long-shots of the landscape open the film, and they are a consistent feature throughout, reminiscent of the symbolically heavy pillow shots in Ozu, or perhaps the poetic rendering of the same landscape in Wenders’ Paris, Texas. The Coens have always been fascinated by the almost ritualistic act of doing things in order to effect outcomes. No Country is almost leisurely in how it goes about focusing on the mere “doing” of things, like Moss figuring out how to hide the money satchel in a rundown hotel air vent. This rhythmic patience is echoed in the editing, which hangs on static or slowly changing shots longer than the norm, paradoxically ramping up the tension to extreme degrees without ever uttering a word.

The writing is as pristine as the visuals and, here, the Coens have achieved a monumental minimalism. Like the best minimalism, it rings the utmost value and potency from what’s there. Two of the most haunting, poignant monologues in film history bookend the film; both utter metaphysical philosophy (the latter in a dream allegory) while still sounding utterly authentic to the types of down-home country-boys that reside in the region, like Tommy Lee Jones’ Ed Tom Bell. Elsewhere, as in the already infamous confrontation between Chigurh and the gas station proprietor (“What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?” … “What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?” … “Call it.”), there’s an understated naturalness married with a hyperbolic absurdity, an oxymoronic combination if ever there was one. The Coens may not quite be art-house directors, but in these scenes they’re reminiscent of a director like Tsai Ming-liang who frequently manages to craft scenes that violently clash the ordinary and everyday with the extraordinary and fantastic, finding drama, humor, philosophy, and humanity smashed somewhere between the real and the artifice.

Luckily, the performances match the direction. Brolin is so convincing that anyone would swear that he’s been a cowboy all his life. Tommy Lee Jones is actually from the region and he renders Ed Tom Bell with an effortless ease. Perhaps most surprising is the Scottish Kelly Macdonald as Carla Jean who manages to nail the Southern drawl accent while still creating chemistry in the few scenes between her and Brolin. Towering above all of them is the singular performance of Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh. The Coens mention that the character is just lightly sketched in the book, which gave them plenty of freedom to construct the character. Bardem certainly jumped at the chance, creating a character that is quite unlike anything I’ve ever seen in cinema. The miracle is that so much is achieved by the look alone; the costumes provided by another longtime Coen collaborator, Mary Zophres, sets the immediate tone by contrasting Chigurh with everyone else in West Texas. He’s clearly a character out of place, and perhaps even out of time. Bardem capitalizes on this stylistic and temporal ambiguity by creating an ethnic one as well. To Bardem’s immense credit, he also doesn’t push the character too far into cartoonish extremes. Chigurh may be a near-inhuman force, but he’s a terrifyingly realistic one, nonetheless.

The film is also marked by subtle parallels, contrasts, and foreshadowings that give it a musical rhythm. The plaintive voiceover of Bell washes over the opening frames of the desert landscape like a spectral (for)shadow. This leads to the scene of Chigurh being arrested, only to brutally strangle the arresting officer with his handcuffs (ironically, after the officer uttering that he has everything under control). Next, Chigurh pulls a man over to the side of the road and tells him to “hold still” while he kills him with a pressurized cattle gun. This transitions to Moss whispering “hold still” while he trains a dear in the sights of his rifle. He fires and injures the dear (contrasted with Chigurh much more effectively killing the man), and proceeds to track him with the blood trail (one of the film’s many motifs). When the trail ends, Moss instead finds a limping, bleeding black dog (an uncanny echo to the mysterious, magisterial, perhaps supernatural black dog in Tarkovsky’s Stalker) that leads him to the scene, the money, and the man dying of thirst. After taking the money (situated beneath a decaying tree—the ultimate “forbidden fruit” metaphor), the morally conscious Moss finds himself unable to sleep without bringing the man some water, the decision that ultimately sets off the film’s violent chain of events. The Moss/Chigurh parallels don’t end there, as after their only real confrontation, both receive bullet wounds. This sends Moss to a Mexican hospital for others to take care of, while Chigurh elects to take care of himself, digging the bullet out of his own leg (a potent contrast between the two).

Like Shakespeare, The Coens are obsessed with the forces that move us—with those who are aware of such forces and try to willfully move them, those who are unaware of such forces and are ignorantly moved by them, and what happens with any such combinations clash. But The Coens inject a modern—perhaps postmodern—sense of quantum uncertainty (much more obviously manifested in 2009’s A Serious Man) as opposed to Shakespeare’s fatalism; such forces my come into conflict, the outcome may not be certain, but the outcomes are certainly influenced by the types of forces and the decisions made by those involved. Moss dies because he is an active force that is afflicted with a moral consciousness—a decisive uncertainty—that renders him weaker than the active force that has no such conflict. Wells dies because, in spite of his calculated intelligence, he’s still tied down by materialism. Bell survives because he’s effectively on the outside looking in, always one step behind the forces that he’s chasing, always looking into the dark abyss, hoping for a guiding light. Carla Jean, like the gas station proprietor, is simply subject to the forces of chance and fate, having lived lives where they allow themselves to be moved.

But what about Chigurh? Certainly, he’s the most enigmatic case, but when viewed in the force-framework, Chigurh becomes the party that is completely devoid of any materialistic weight. He lacks Moss’ morality and compassion and he lacks Wells’ materialism. He IS simply a force of chaotic nature, a force that allows himself to be freely blown towards a higher (perhaps unconscious, perhaps unknown) objective. Anyone that gets in the way is either collateral damage (such as the people whom he kills when hijacking), or have it coming because they are opposing forces (Moss, Wells, the businessmen behind it all). In such confrontations, the stronger force wins, and Chigurh is the stronger force precisely because he is not subject to the cares that the others have. However, in a stroke of genius, The Coens reveal a flaw in the force’s design; Chigurh can’t make conscious decisions. When it comes to forces that aren’t either directly or indirectly in his way, Chigurh can’t kill them, because doing so would violate his code. In these cases, the coin becomes the surrogate consciousness and chance becomes the decider.

This framework sets up the ending where Chigurh confronts Carla Jean. Chigurh had promised Moss that he would kill her, yet the earlier killing of Moss by others interrupts the planned confrontation, so Chigurh is left in a position where he can’t possibly fulfill the higher plan. So, to avoid making the decision, he uses the coin. But Carla Jean overcomes the device by refusing to call it, by refusing to take the decision out of Chigurh’s hands (or head). This utterly forces the unconscious force to make a decision and, once he does, he equally becomes subject to the forces of uncertainty and fate (like Richard III being swallowed up in the world of the play in which he was previously outside of and commenting on). The conscious entity awakes into this new dynamic world and is immediately met by the most random of events—a car crash. The ghost bleeds because the ghost is human, and it’s the human Chigurh that walks out of the film, stripped of his mythical godlike status. Because, as the great philosopher Arnold Schwarzenegger said, “if it bleeds, we can kill it”.

Even outside Chigurh the Coen’s find uncanny ways of presenting this theme. In one of the more direct scenes, Bell relates a story to Carla Jean about a friend of his who was injured while trying to slaughter a steer. After whacking it in the head and slitting its throat, the steer was just stunned and “starts thrashing around, six hundred pounds of very pissed-off livestock”, as Bell puts it. When the man tries to shoot it, the bullet ricochets and catches him in the shoulder. Bell concludes with “even in the contest between man and steer, the issue is not certain”. It’s precisely that uncertainty that ends with the cattle gun that farmers use now, and that Chigurh uses. If uncertainty afflicts the film’s characters, the Coens equally thrust it onto the audience. The final scene with Moss contains the pregnant exchange between him and an anonymous poolside woman where he says he’s looking for what’s coming, while she replies, “nobody ever sees that”. This particular foreshadowing shock is delivered to the viewers who next see Moss dead in a hotel room, murdered by anonymous Mexicans who are only seen as they’re fleeing the scene. The Coens even end the film with Bell’s monologue that leaves the film hanging in an uneasy, suspended limbo, like a musical composition where the dissonance is left unresolved.

The attempt at eliminating this uncertainty and the ability to cope with it when you can’t is truly at the heart of the film. But, in the wise words of Bell’s friend Ellis (played lovingly by Barry Corbin), “Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity.” The world doesn’t revolve around us, as much as we love to (unconsciously) think it does, and even the most certain and calculating actions can lead to the most random of outcomes. So, perhaps, the philosophical lesson of the film is in-line with Shakespeare, even if the conclusion of the events and fate of the characters aren’t: After all the “To be or not to be”, the only conclusion left to come to is: “Let be”.
    Quote Originally Posted by "A Serious Man" by Jonathan Henderson
    ] It’s become somewhat of a running joke between my geek friends and I that when something can’t be explained in a work of science-fiction, the ultimate “fanwank” answer is always “LOL, Quantum Magic”. Of course, there’s nothing really “magical” about quantum physics, though when Sci-Fi writer Arthur C. Clarke formulated his third law—“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”—he could easily have replaced “technology” with “science”. There’s no denying that quantum physics has proved to be the ultimate brain-teaser for scientists throughout the 20th Century and has provided a formidable challenge against the (perhaps now) antiquated notion that we can ever know everything (perhaps anything) to a certainty. Perhaps you might think that such complex science is better left to the scientists or academia, but leave it to a visionary pair of cinematic brothers like The Coens to capitalize on the humor and absurdity innate in the most serious of subjects.

Of course, what better place and time could there possibly be to stage such a cinematic thought experiment than the suburbs of Bloomington, Minnesota, 1967, and what better person to subject to such narrative torture than a Jew? Michael Stuhlbarg is Prof. Lawrence “Larry” Gopnik, a professor of quantum physics at a local college where he teaches the mathematics behind quantum physics. Soon after the film begins, Larry’s life begins quickly unraveling. His wife, Judith (Sari Lennick), announces she’s leaving him for a neighbor, Sy Abelman (Fred Melamed: The “Sex Guy”, according to the Coens); His son, Danny (Aaron Wolff) is about to be Bar-Mitzvahed, even though he seems more concerned with getting high, watching F-Troop, and listening to Jefferson Airplane in class; his daughter, Sarah (Jessica McManus), spends more time at The Hole than she does at home; his brother, Arthur (Richard Kind), has taken to staying with him while working on his mathematical Mentaculus formula and draining a sebaceous cyst on his neck; finally, to top it all off, a South Korean student of Larry’s, Clive (David Kang), is hassling Larry about his failing grade that he received for failing the math part of the quantum physics test, and puts Larry in a tough spot when he, perhaps, implicitly bribes him and gets him in a Catch-22 where either Larry passes him, or they will sue him for defamation of character (for Larry claiming he was bribed), or for taking a bribe.

As with No Country, Fargo, and so many of the Coen’s other great films, it seems most apropos to start by praising their superb rendering of such distinct milieus. There may be other directors out there today that are as aesthetically, intellectually, and narratively satisfying and challenging as the Coens, but none of them I know manage to combine those aspects with such an acute sense of the place, the time, and the people that inhabit both. Their films are as much time machines into the past as they are universal stories that resonate today. Such a thing is especially tricky when focusing on a culture with a history as rich, diverse, and notorious as The Jews, but the Coens manage to avoid the caricatured pitfalls in favor of a much more humane and loving portrait, without losing any of their sense of humor and amusement. The Coens especially achieve that humor through their nuanced writing and the contrast between the sporadic cartoonish elements contrasted against the understated realism; it’s always a tricky balance the Coens are going for, but they have a real knack for constantly hitting it on the nose.

The performances are a major contributing factor in achieving that balance, because it’s a heavy burden to place on actors to be funny and distinct without lapsing into broad generalizations and maintaining a sense of character. A Serious Man may not boast the Coen’s most star-heavy cast (they certainly went for authenticity over star-power), but all of the relative unknowns and the relative knowns do a fine job. Stuhlbarg is particularly cast with carrying most of the film as his portrayal of Larry, and his constant bemusement is as funny as it is frustrating, as absurd as it is sad. Stuhlbarg is one of those actors that achieve so much through facial expressions alone, and this is an important feature in a cast that’s much more stone-faced throughout. There’s a surety in the faces of those around them that potently contrasts with Larry’s own uncertainty. Fred Melamed should also be praised for his idiosyncratic take on the mellow, laid-back Sy Abelman (SY ABELMAN?!!!), who manages to steal every scene he’s in.

Of all The Coen’s films, A Serious Man may be the one that utilizes allusions most deeply, connecting the story with the distant past to illuminate the present. The film opens with a fabricated Jewish folktale, which, in the Coen’s own words, “we couldn’t think of any old Jewish folktales, so we made one up, just like how in Fargo we wanted to tell a true story but couldn’t think of any, so we made one up”. The opening provides a haunting prelude to all that’s come, as an old Jewish couple in old, Eastern Europe encounter what may be a dybbuk, a malevolent or benevolent possessing spirit of a dead person’s soul. The scene ends without really answering whether the figure was actually a spirit or not since there’s disagreement amongst the husband and wife over whether or not the person (a relative) had actually died. The final words of the woman, “Blessed is the Lord. Good riddance to evil,” ironically set up the Job-like parallels with what befalls Larry throughout the rest of the film, dramatizing the classic Theodic “problem of evil” and how we can possibly deal with it.

In The Book of Job, Job is famously subjected to numerous horrors (including his possessions being destroyed by a ‘ruach’, or wind spirit, which also kills his children, and being smote with boils), and is tempted by his wife to curse God and die, even though he refuses. His friends swear that he must have done something wrong, even though he swears he didn’t. Job finally questions God as to what he has done to deserve such treatment, prompting God to reveal himself in a whirlwind and respond with a series of rhetorical questions about Job’s ignorance of the ways of God. When a whirlwind appears at the end of the film, we’re certainly left to wonder if it’s God finally coming to reveal himself, or if it’s the wind-spirit that’s come to destroy everything else that Larry has. Job’s questioning of his wrongdoing is a nigh-perfect mirror to Larry’s, whose mantra throughout the film is “I didn’t do anything!”

“I didn’t do anything!”—It’s a perfect response to counter Larry’s statement to Clive that “actions have consequences, not just in physics, but morally”. What we do affects what happens to us, so if we don’t do anything, then there’s no reason for things to happen to us. For the attentive viewer, we realize that such an absolutist cause-and-effect thinking—call it Newtonian physics, if you will—is completely out of line with the quantum physics that Larry teaches, which states mathematically that such cause and effect is uncertain. What’s further, we’re always doing something, even if we’ve failed to realize what that something is by our inability to examine our own lives. Larry also misses the point of Schrödinger's cat; he explains to Clive that the cat is just an illustrative story to help one understand, but it’s the math that explains how it works. Clive insists he understands the cat even though he failed on the math, while Larry understands the math (indeed, he’s never more self-assured and certain than when he’s doing the math) but states, “nobody understands the cat”.

It’s a good metaphor for cinema, actually; an illustrative medium that uses story to explain how stuff works, even though it doesn’t prove how stuff works the way math does. Larry’s mistake is in assuming that the math that proves uncertainty makes the math and, therefore, life (like cause and effect) certain. It also illustrates that even though he understands the explanation behind the theory, he doesn’t really understand the theory itself. It’s the same way that a philosopher might understand how life and people work, but be completely incapable of living life, or getting along with others. It’s this mistake, this realization, that nothing was what he thought it was that forces him to look for the meaning behind it all. Afterall, who worries about the meaning behind it all when it’s going well? It’s precisely when everything breaks down that we’re forced to confront the whys behind it, and it’s our inability to find the answers that leads to such frustration. Then we turn to faith (Larry encountering the three Rabbis)… we turn to semiotics (what’s happening must be signs that mean something)… we turn to anything that transcends our limited scope of our own lives and life in general because we become powerless to affect what’s happening to us.

But is that powerlessness an illusion? Larry clearly tells Arthur that: "It's not fair to blame Hashem, Arthur… Sometimes you have to help your-self.” That sense of “helping yourself,” of doing something active to change your life, is precisely what has eluded Larry. It’s a potently rendered point that the Coen’s make; it’s so easy for us to have perspective on others and to tell them what they need to do to improve, but it’s entirely different to apply that same kind of thinking to ourselves. Of course, when we feel we can’t help ourselves we turn to others to find the answers. We see this kind of doubt/acceptance/doubt cycle when Larry questions the younger Rabbi about his situation. “It’s all a matter of perspective, it’s a good thing” says the Rabbi. Larry is incredulous, but when he goes to see his lawyer, he repeats the same cliché, only to quickly respond with an “or maybe not”. Larry is a man that’s so desperate he’ll latch on to any answer that seems like it may be right, whether it’s right or not.

The Goy Teeth story expands on this concept of encountering something that shakes up your world by provoking you to look for a meaning, only to be endlessly frustrated when none appears. Like the sage Rabbi Marshak says near the end of the film (by quoting Jefferson Airplane), and the Rashi quote says at the beginning (“Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you”), the moral behind the Goya Teel story is stupidly simple: “Being good to people… it can’t hurt.” But the real lesson is the absurdity that it should take something extraordinary to make someone realize something so simple that should be a given already. So how does this apply to Larry? Larry is the exact opposite of the Rashi quote, incapable of receiving what’s happening to him with simplicity. Instead, he takes to magnifying everything that happens to him to apocalyptic levels. He looks for answers when he should be looking for life, he’s trying to solve the mystery instead of embracing it—something he encounters in the near-Liar’s Paradox nature of his Catch-22, defamation/bribery problem with Clive.

Given the film’s thematic complexity, it seems almost trivial to return to the more plebeian forms of criticism, but Roger Deakins’ dreamlike, almost surreal cinematography deserves it. It brilliantly contrasts the comic book-like colors and geometry of suburbia in wide lenses and deep focus with the hazier colors and angles of Larry’s subjectivity and dreams in long lenses and shallow focus. This echoes the theme of Larry being cut off from objective reality by his distorted view of his life. The tilt-shift lenses (which can arbitrarily render an area of a flat-focus frame in or out of focus) parallel the two marijuana scenes (with Larry and his son, respectively). The production design is as equally provocative, perfectly reconstructing the era. My own negative criticisms might simply be that the characters aren’t as compelling as some of the Coen’s best creations. The film occasionally verges dangerously on telling more than it shows, and that perhaps there aren’t as many relevant interconnections in the film as there should be (if anyone can fill me in the significance behind the son’s storyline, I’d be appreciative).

Finally, to address the critics that have condemned the film as being too bleak and belittling, I think they’ve missed the point. A Serious Man doesn’t really present anything that’s bleaker than Job, it merely ends before the uptick. Job was eventually “rewarded” for his faith, for not abandoning God amidst his crisis. Larry fails his morality test, taking the money and changing the grade. So does this mean that the whirlwind and his implied health problem is the effect of his failure, or is it merely two more random events completely unconnected to it? Part of the brilliance of A Serious Man (and No Country) is the ingenious way that the Coen’s have found to express the same uncertainty in cinema as we encounter it in life. Like Kieslowski, they love presenting metaphysical teasers that suggest paradoxical answers depending on your perspective. If the ultimate answer of No Country was to “let be”, perhaps the ultimate answer to A Serious Man is to “be”.

If No Country for Old Men could be called the Coen’s ontological masterpiece (figuring out how to be amidst uncertainty), then A Serious Man must be their epistemological masterpiece (figuring out how to understand amidst uncertainty). The film stresses that knowing how a thing works doesn’t mean that we can work a thing, that what we think we know that’s wrong is more dangerous than what we don’t know, and that looking for answers in randomness by considering them signs may be the most frustrating thing in life that man can do, which is all the sadder considering we seemed pre-programmed to do just that. Afterall, if Hashem (God, The Universe, Life, et al.) isn’t going to give us the answers, why does he/she/they/it make us feel the questions?
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123