Thread: English dissertation idea - dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction.

English dissertation idea - dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction.

Hey guys, first ever post so hi! Nice to be part of a new community consisting of fellow literary enthusiasts.

Basically, I just wanted to throw out my early dissertation idea to see if anybody had any input, advice or general comments. I am thinking about investigating the role of religion and faith in post-apocalyptic and/or dystopian fiction (specifically looking at texts set in a futuristic world, going down the speculative fiction area). I know The Road by Cormac McCarthy is definitely one of my choices as it falls strongly into those areas of interest; I need two more texts or maybe even a movie (this is allowed) that explores these themes. I am thinking that 'Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep' would also be a great text to look at?

I have realised that these fictional PA dystopian universes usually depict a secular ideology, but with some remnants of what we would identify as "faith". I am looking at how it manifests.

So in a nutshell: I need to link 3 essays together in one assignment (I am sure some people here have probably written dissertations before) dealing with either three themes, three novels, or just three critical aspects I guess (as long as they are linked). The leading idea I am thinking of is the role of religion and faith and using three texts to compare and contrast, however I am also thinking about bringing in different elements of PA fiction, such as the death of ideology, the regression of human civilisation etc.

So much to think about! I just want a focus! If anybody has any input or recommendations of texts that would be absolutely fantastic.

Thank you,

A very confused and stressed English undergraduate

You might include The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps I Am Legend? The novel attempts to give rational, scientific explanations for why (amongst other things) religious iconography repels the vampire-like things that humanity have turned into.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

How about
    The Stand, by Steven King or
    Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven
    Uhhhh...

Thanks guys! I think The Road is a certainty along with Androids. The third novel I am torn between The Postman, The Stand, Legends and maybe Handmaid's (good shout mentioning that - I forgot!)

What about the Oryx and Crake trilogy (Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood, Maddaddam)? None of them is as good as The Handmaid's Tale, however.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

William Harrison's "Rollerball Murder" (short story) is in many anthologies & in his fabulous The Buddha in Malibu, which includes the great dystopian horror story, The Make-Up Man: people undergo cosmetic surgeries to look ugly. When the fad fades, it takes more than surgery to return them to "normal."
    No American troops were harmed during the Watergate cover-up.

It sounds interesting. I suppose you could include 'Brave New World' in there? Take the final scene in which the savage confronts a representative of this post-apocalyptic civilisation (remember that a nuclear war is alluded to, so it IS post-apocalyptic). The savage is presented with a choice between an empty and godless, but soulless and safe, culture and the darkness, suffering and mystery of the native Indian culture he grew up around. He chooses the ascetic, isolated life of a mystic instead. You could also draw on contemporary events in Europe. The Europeans seem determined to open their doors to Africa and the Middle East, which may well result in some kind of civil war based around religion. I suspect that in the future Islamic-African migrants and the Christian-African ones will fight over the destiny of Europe. The native, white, atheistic and secular Europeans are not having enough children to count, whereas the African migrants have 4 or 5 on average. You saw this in miniature over the Summer, where gangs of Muslims and Christians killed one another on the boats they used to migrate to southern Europe.
    Last edited by WICKES; 11-17-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    It might be a good idea to have examples from different decades and compare those... Or pick books written within the same decade and see how they compare.

If you are going to concentrate on religion and faith, Atwood is definitely a good choice (even though I did not enjoy her Oryx and Crake triology). Also, 1984 might be a good option if you are looking at books written in different decades; a good opportunity maybe to see how 1984 compares to a dystopic novel written in 1980s.

A Clockwork Orange, Weor Fahrenheit 451 are possibilities too.

Good luck with your dissertation. Let's know how you are getting on
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Well Mr Wickes much as I like most of your posts I can't agree with what you have to say there. Mainly it's your expression "determined to".

Thank you for all your replies guys! All taken on board; the dissertation is in full focus.

spidey---im not an English scholar and so maybe im being prosaic, but would it be a mistake to ignore the current popularity of the hunger games, maze runner and insurgent series?

also---must must must watch the book of eli! its exactly what you are looking for...

For a movie you might want to try The Book of Eli - I think that it is PA and has to do with religion.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Emily St. John Mandel's Station Eleven would be a good choice. Examines the role, and evolution, of faith from a different text - in this case a comic book.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/