Thread: Forum timeout

Forum timeout

I didn't find a thread or post on this, so please pardon any repetition.

The site keeps logging out if I navigate away from the page for more than a few minutes. Why is this? How long is the time-out feature and can I adjust it?

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure how long it is, maybe 15 minutes? but if you try clicking the "Remember me" box when you log in to the site that should keep you logged in until you click the "Log Out" link
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Hope this works. Thanks for the suggestion.

MAke sure your browser is accepting cookies as well.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

Blog Entries
    I clicked remember me and each time I come to this site, I am already logged in as a result. It never times out.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

how annoying

I will give this a whirl. I came here wondering why I keep getting logged out. Is it supposed to be some sort of security feature to auto-log users out after 15 mins or whatever the short interval of time is set to? One thing is for sure: it is annoying! I belong to a lot of online communities and this is the only time I can remember encountering this, ummm, well, feature.

And I do not want to gripe too much, but since I am here, what is with only performing one search per minute. Many of my searches, and other people's I would think also prove unfruitful, but then need to wait a minute before trying a different approach to the search? A little user unfriendly to say the least.

cheers,
    nap
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".
    ---
    The late great George Carlin.

Quote Originally Posted by naphelge View Post
    I will give this a whirl. I came here wondering why I keep getting logged out. Is it supposed to be some sort of security feature to auto-log users out after 15 mins or whatever the short interval of time is set to? One thing is for sure: it is annoying! I belong to a lot of online communities and this is the only time I can remember encountering this, ummm, well, feature.

And I do not want to gripe too much, but since I am here, what is with only performing one search per minute. Many of my searches, and other people's I would think also prove unfruitful, but then need to wait a minute before trying a different approach to the search? A little user unfriendly to say the least.

cheers,
    nap
    Have you tried checking "Remember me" while logging in? As long as you're logging in next time using the same browser in the same computer and the browser has cookies enabled (this should be in the browser options/preference- 'enable cookies' or worded similarly) you should not be logged out.

As for the search limits, I agree it is a bit tiring at times. It's probably one of the security features. But is there any way to make it more lenient for the active members only, that should keep the buggers out, no? Is this a vbulletin forum? I'm not sure if that can be done in forums?
    ...the smell of flowers through metal labyrinths.

the search just consumes a lot of server resources. Limiting it limits the load on the server so the forums run faster.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network