View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself an atheist?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

73 34.11%
  • No.

115 53.74%
  • Not sure.

26 12.15%
Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists....

De Memoria
    Contrary to popular belief, and I mean POPULAR belief, ethics and religion are very, very different things. To say someone of some faith or not is not to say that they are good or bad. I think this is called the non sequitor fallacy.(It does not follow)

Just as not all theists are good people, especially considering the dire straits of religion today, with both Islamic and Christian extremism, and, unfortunately, these people are wrongfully famous and their "warnings" about gays, endorsement of racism/sexism, and anti-sex attitudes are heeded by the majority. The UCC (United Church of Christ), however, is the first Christian organization to speak against their hateful brethren, and I do hope more outcry from the moderates follows suit.
    "Humanity is probably the only creature capable of hating its own kind" - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    "I wanna live. I wanna love. But its a long hard road out of hell" - M.M.
    "Which is better: to be born stupid into an intelligent society or intelligent into an insane one?" Aldous Huxley's Island p. 228

the human trampoline
    Am i the only one who could not keep from laughing through this whole thread?

Some situation we have!

But really, I was just hoping that someone was going to tell those 2 off.
    I mean really lay it on thick.
    (not in an offensive way, but just an eye opener)

I was going to jump into the fray, but It has slowed.
    Exhausted from going around.
    It needed some fire somewhere along the line.
    Maybe a car bomb.
    All across the telegraph
    His name it did resound,
    But no charge held against him
    Could they prove.
    And there was no man around
    Who could track or chain him down,
    He was never known
    To make a foolish move.

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hard Rain

Some situation we have!

I was going to jump into the fray, but It has slowed.
    Exhausted from going around.
    It needed some fire somewhere along the line.
    Maybe a car bomb.
    Glad you're enjoying the topic

We try to be as respectful as possible to others and their opinions and faith, but I daresay it's difficult for some.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

De Memoria

By all means, please.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, why don't you take the honour and be that so-called "eye opener"...

Quote Originally Posted by A Hard Rain

Some situation we have!

My eyes are already opened after this discussion. Yet the thought keeps haunting me, why is believing in nothingness after death, depressing, I dare-say i accepted that as fact ever since.. i don't know when.. and its casted into the long list of the biological ( not devine ) ways of life, such as evolution, or lack of higher power and devine path. Thus being the "oh well" situations of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBojangles
    My eyes are already opened after this discussion. Yet the thought keeps haunting me, why is believing in nothingness after death, depressing, I dare-say i accepted that as fact ever since.. i don't know when.. and its casted into the long list of the biological ( not devine ) ways of life, such as evolution, or lack of higher power and devine path. Thus being the "oh well" situations of life.

Why should there have to be nothingness after death? It is not depressing to me but I do not feel having a after life should mean that you have faith in a higher being. I would love to be a spirit and travel around the world without having to hand out cash for it. In truth we believe what be want to believe about life after death. Personally have felt spiritual energy has helped me accept that there is. If your beliefs or if you do not believe and you are happy with the person you are then that is more important. I know I had said that before so forgive me repeating myself.

Words can either heal or harm I choose for my words to heal and do no harm.

What does this spiritual energy feel like? And it sounds like to me, that having a happy ending (life after death) is just hot air or wishful thinking, you can go as far to say that some sort of higher power (god etc.) is to. I see the downside of these hopes (in which the events in history has taught us) and that is why I'am atheist.

Blog Entries
    What does this spiritual energy feel like? And it sounds like to me, that having a happy ending (life after death) is just hot air or wishful thinking, you can go as far to say that some sort of higher power (god etc.) is to. I see the downside of these hopes (in which the events in history has taught us) and that is why I'am atheist.
    Why only see the downside of life when there is more then one side of life. They energy I can feel off of living and deceased is hard to describe but I can give you a example. I felt my sister's foot once and knew that she was going to lose it and three days after her 25 birthday the doctors amputated. I can still feel her amputated foot and knee it is a weird experience. I however do not feel it is hot air but having been lived part of my life without hope did not make me a happy person. I now deal with the bad and good but do not lose hope that my life wont' get any better anymore. That is up to me on whether it gets better or not. Caught a story tonight about a young man who had more physical pain then you could imagine. He had true courage to wake up each day and face the world. His disease was of the skin and it caused tremdous soars and even touch was painful. Never complained out load and made others laugh. Never lost hope of being free from his when death came and that was not hot air for him but a tool to survive. Sorry to get hot and no offense is intened and I hope I was not offensive to you. If so my apologies.
    Last edited by Ancestor; 10-24-2005 at 04:15 AM.

loquacious cat mrawr
    I personally find that the concept of afterlife is merely a form of reasurrence, "all right so you messed it up this time, no sweat, have another go." to those who wish to believe in that, I have no concern. However for several religions, the afterlife was a threat, a means of controling the people. The entire concept of paying for your sins to encourage people to treat each other better. My concern is the misuse that this power has led to, and the indulgence. People could pay their sins away, by giving money to the church (just an example) Killing a man was possible, and all the while i am convinced that the big losers in all this were the poor, and the people left without a choice, while the big winners were the arch bishops, and the rich men, who could get away with what was otherwise "sin". Pardon my opinion, but really? This is why my conviction is not for afterlife, i simply don't believe it. (of course other religions have different ideas, spirits, and kharma and what not.) But again, the point is to make you a better person in the current life by promising you a better life later.

Atheists are sensitive people people who, unfortunately, always forget that "If God does not exist, everything is permitted" (as the events of history has taught us)

PS: the quote is from Dostoevsky

Blog Entries
    Hello, I'm new - as in, I just joined 15 minutes ago, not as in I was born yesterday. I have always found the topic of God compelling, esp so many excellent authors have written extensively upon the subject.

I believe in God based on first principles and the ontological, cosmological, teleological arguments as well as Intelligent Design Theory, Pascal's Wager (although it has never converted a soul) as well as Anselms / Aquinas syllogistic proofs (yes, there is great layover between the forementioned.)

If one is a Christian of the reformed variety, one will readily recognize that all these arguments are made in vain; that is, that they have never converted a soul because they lack conversion *power*. The power of conversion obviously, lies with the converter, which is the Holy Spirit, or God.

Arguments, then, are not plied with the intent of convincing anyone of the existence of God since, as we have said, that is impossible. Rather, they exist as a means of reinforcing one's own faith and removing intellectual obstacles to faith, which are sundry and inhibiting.

Thus, no atheist shall ever grow to love God because he was presented with Aristotle's "Metaphysics" or Descartes "Meditations" or even anything written by John Piper. He will grow to love God because God reached down and touched his soul aka: it is the personal experience with God that is radically altering, and that is not something we can mimic with vainglorious humanistic reasoning.

T
    Madness is my defense against Reality.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancestor

I would love to be a spirit and travel around the world without having to hand out cash for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    What do you mean exactly?
    I was trying to say that I believe we become spirits after we die. I do have faith in a higher being but even if you do not believe in higher being why should you not still believe in a after life.
    And it sounds like to me, that having a happy ending (life after death) is just hot air or wishful thinking, you can go as far to say that some sort of higher power (god etc.)
    It made feel that why should we have nothingness in the after life whether believing in a higher being or not. I do and I also believe in life after death and it was not just hot air to me. When I becaome a Spirit I believe that I will be able to roam the physical plane to help guide the living. Hope that explains if not I will try again. Not feeling to well today but I thought I should try to answer you suterranean also you get the nicest avatars.
    Last edited by Ancestor; 10-26-2005 at 12:02 AM.

Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast