Thread: the prophet by kahlil gibran

the prophet by kahlil gibran

my favorite why can't all religious text be so succinct?
    Last edited by hypatia_; 05-23-2013 at 02:06 AM.
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

Blog Entries
    I purchased the book a short while back but haven't read it yet. You should share your interpretations and impressions of it.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

i'm traveling atm and don't have my copy (it's littered with annotations, my favorite part of reading).

i liked the format in which he explicitly stated what each section was about. children, love, divorce, marriage, basically topics he considers important and central to life.

city population: "and tell us about love"
    prophet: *rant about love*

the city asks him all these questions because he is leaving them after a long stay (something i interpret as rebirth, since he often mentions he will be back again). clearly they value his opinion and respect his wisdom, but he makes clear that he will return one day and perhaps they will teach him something (very wise in knowing you are not infallibly wise).

it reminded me of the bible due to the teaching of virtue, but i think it appealed to me more because it wasn't so much telling you what to do and what not to do, but instead explained with poetic language why it is important to do something, why it is important to stray from something else. it was almost like the prophet taught the essence of virtue, whereas the bible taught what the virtues were.

then again, i only remember from the bible what i was forced to read in religion class. i have not read it for myself yet, and perhaps it will be a great read one day.
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

Blog Entries
    read the book...it holds a lot of wisdom. To me it is not religious just an understanding. My favorite read and center.

kittypaws
    Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.
    Ancient Egyptian Inner Temples

to me, wisdom is religion. wisdom helps you live your life better.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Quote Originally Posted by hypatia_ View Post
    to me, wisdom is religion. wisdom helps you live your life better.
    Kahlil Gibran is one of my favourites too. I especially like the one called Speak to us of Children". I can't remember how it goes exactly but it is along the lines of - your children are not your children, they are the sons and daughters of life's longing for itself, and like the arrow sent from the bow. Such beautifully expressed wisdom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I especially like the one called Speak to us of Children".
    Yes the Children's part is the best of the entire book.... 'Manuscript Found in Accra' by Paulo Coelho is a very similar work as of 'The Prophet', just in case if someone's interested. Great book that too is.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland

Speak to us of pain

This one is also brimming with insight and wisdom.

Pain is often a way of breaking the shell that encloses your understanding. Much of it is self-chosen. It is the bitter potion by which we heal our inner self.

Such concentrated simplicity! The more I read the more layers of self-delusion I uncover and expose to re-working and thereby growing.

Blog Entries
    Kahlil Gibran is pretty great!