View Poll Results: Can humans be objective?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course they can

14 35.00%
  • No way, people are way too prejudiced

21 52.50%
  • Don't know and don't care

1 2.50%
  • What was the question again?...

4 10.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can humans be objective?

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Besides, what is "objective" is in itself subjective to the individual interpreting the meaning of objectivity.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dramasnot6 View Post
    One can never be WHOLLY objective, but relative to all other species humans are capable of being able to distance themselves consciously fairly successfully. It is not so much about completely eliminating bias, as it is recognizing what your bias is and working with and around it.
    A ball dropped falls at the rate of 32 ft per sec per sec. That is an objective statement. If one objective statement can be made, others can too.
    Last edited by Virgil; 10-27-2007 at 03:55 PM.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    A ball dropped falls at the rate of 32 ft per sec per sec. That is an objective statement. If one objective statement can be made, others can too.
    32 ft*s^-2, meaning acceleration due to gravity... I always thought such constants were based off of a standard that we established a while ago. Can it still be an objective statement, if the basis of this statement is somewhat subjective (the variations of the SI, fps, cks)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazefest456 View Post
    32 ft*s^-2, meaning acceleration due to gravity... I always thought such constants were based off of a standard that we established a while ago. Can it still be an objective statement, if the basis of this statement is somewhat subjective (the variations of the SI, fps, cks)?
    In what way is that a subjective statement? I don't understand. What variations are you talking about?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    well, the units of measurements: 32 ft per sec squared versus 9.8 meters per sec squared and so on. Feet and meters were determined by people who felt that using intervals that were known to them (in this case, an actual foot, and the ten millionth of the distance between the north pole and the equator, respectively). Isn't that subjectivity?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazefest456 View Post
    well, the units of measurements: 32 ft per sec squared versus 9.8 meters per sec squared and so on. Feet and meters were determined by people who felt that using intervals that were known to them (in this case, an actual foot, and the ten millionth of the distance between the north pole and the equator, respectively). Isn't that subjectivity?
    Different units have nothing to do with subjectivity. The ball drops at the same rate whether in ft per sec per sec or meters per sec per sec.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    If Virgil and I agree on this matter, that humans can be objective, does that count for anything?

Just random, disjointed, word association: objectivity, clarity, focus- sincerity, honesty, simplicity, reality.

No need to end this discussion!
    Last edited by NikolaiI; 10-28-2007 at 01:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    Different units have nothing to do with subjectivity. The ball drops at the same rate whether in ft per sec per sec or meters per sec per sec.
    okay, that makes sense! I feel stupid...

I always wondered that is it ethical to rely purely on objectivity or some personal judgment (regarding the justice system or situations like that)? I never really had a stance on this because the only place this question was raised up was on TV shows, and I don't give in easily to just one view...

Isn't that a trick question? Since we're all humans don't we all have a conflict of interest?

Registered User KillCarneyKlans's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not unless they want to ... which can be rare.

dubitans
    Let's not confuse objectivity with objectification, much less empathy. When I contemplate myself I am at once subject and object. When I contemplate you, I may obtain a variable degree of objectivity, but I must do so subjectively.

A ball dropped falls at the rate of 32 ft per sec per sec. That is an objective statement. ...
    My favorite comment on objectivity is in Ronald Laing's memoir, Wisdom, Madness and Folly: "the decision to be objective is a subjective decision." You choose to make an objective statement.

Quote Originally Posted by RetsixArp View Post
    My favorite comment on objectivity is in Ronald Laing's memoir, Wisdom, Madness and Folly: "the decision to be objective is a subjective decision." You choose to make an objective statement.
    And Laing's work is full of the subjective choice to make statements intended to be objectively true. That he subjectively chose to make such a decision does not, of course, inform us as to whether his statements are objectively true or not.

Men are perfectly capable of being objective. Often, however, it's not very different than being completely stupid. Always is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Men are perfectly capable of being objective. Often, however, it's not very different than being completely stupid. Always is even worse.
    Perhaps the word is not "stupid" but "uninteresting." Tautologies and unequivocal facts don't make for great conversation at parties...stupidity on the other hand...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast