Thread: PB Shelley

PB Shelley

Hello,

I joined the forum due to a recent interest in PB Shelley. I have a few questions if anyone cares to help me...
    1. How do you pronounce the middle name Bysshe?
    2. Does anyone have an insight on Ozymandias?

Thanks!

Adam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4030william View Post
    Hello,

I joined the forum due to a recent interest in PB Shelley. I have a few questions if anyone cares to help me...

Thanks!

Adam
    Hi Adam. This is my contribution to your questions
    Bysshe (IPA pronunciation: bɪʃ; spelled pronunciation: BISH) From an English surname, a variant of the surname Bush, which originally indicated a person who lived near a bush. It's not a very common English name (source: http://www.behindthename.com/name/bysshe)

Regarding Ozymandias I can't tell much because I haven't read it carefully to give an opinion. What I can say is that its rhyme pattern is unusual in English sonnets and that's perhaps one of the reasons why it has drawn so much attention. I have seen similar patterns in some Spanish sonnets, though at this moment I can't remember in which exactly (I should investigate further).
    There's an interestiing article regarding this sonnet. In case you never read it and feel interested the link is http://encyclopedia.tfd.com/Ozymandias

I hope this to be good for something. I'm sure you will get better insights than mine in short. Good luck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4030william View Post
    Hello,

Thanks!

Adam
    Hi Adam. This is my humble contribution to your questions:

Bysshe (IPA pronunciation: bɪʃ; spelled pronunciation: BISH) From an English surname, a variant of the surname Bush, which originally indicated a person who lived near a bush. It's not a very common English name (source: http://www.behindthename.com/name/bysshe)

Regarding Ozymandias I can't tell much because I haven't read it carefully to give an opinion. What I can say is that its rhyme pattern is unusual in English sonnets and that's perhaps one of the reasons why it has drawn so much attention. I have seen similar patterns in some Spanish sonnets, though at this moment I can't remember in which exactly (I should investigate further).
    There's an interestiing article regarding this sonnet. In case you never read it and feel interested the link is http://encyclopedia.tfd.com/Ozymandias

I hope this to be good for something. I'm sure you will get better insights than mine in short. Good luck

--- Edit ---
    I ignore how to delete a repeated post. I believe there's no way. Sorry very much, I unintentionally clicked on Save Changes button a second time
    Last edited by Maximilianus; 06-18-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Made a mistake and posted twice, sorry